Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes > Biometric safe recommendations?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
A key backup might be a good idea.

As an aside, both of the Bersa firearms i have owned had a little lock integrated into them that disactivated the trigger. I never used it, but it would seem a handy tool for those with inquisitive kids.
I like the quick access of a biometric safe but that is good otherwise.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:58 AM   #12

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I never leave a loaded gun unattended either. It is on my side or in sight.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #13

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Biometrics can be finicky, especially for some people. I would make sure it works to your satisfaction and test it thoroughly knowing that it could be returned if it didn't work as expected for you.

I understand that your wife thinks it would be simpler than a mechanical combination, but I'm not sold on their reliability myself. I would rather pracice a little to where it is habit, just like if I ever need to use my gun. The reality is, many women are just not that interested in practicing as most odf us guys are.

Glenn
FAS1SAFE

Old 03-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #14

Liked 57 Times on 35 Posts

Yes biometrics can be finicky, that is why you should make use of the fact that the one I got can hold 32 different prints. By using my two thumbs and two index fingers that gives me room to store 8 of each prints. I place my finger right on the center of the screen and register it. I do it with it pushed all the way up, all the way to the left and all the way to the right for each finger. That way it will read it no matter how I happen to have it land. I have yet to have it not open with those four fingers, but it will not with any other finger. There is always the keypad just incase.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:14 AM   #15

Liked 38 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS1
Biometrics can be finicky, especially for some people. I would make sure it works to your satisfaction and test it thoroughly knowing that it could be returned if it didn't work as expected for you.

I understand that your wife thinks it would be simpler than a mechanical combination, but I'm not sold on their reliability myself. I would rather pracice a little to where it is habit, just like if I ever need to use my gun. The reality is, many women are just not that interested in practicing as most odf us guys are.
Yes practice is best but I don't think best in the middle of the night. Although I think if the keypad was the same layout as my iPhones lock screen I could do that anywhere blindfolded. Sad I know, but maybe that would work too.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #16

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectocotylus View Post
Yes practice is best but I don't think best in the middle of the night.
The same could apply to your gun. Do you practice with it in the middle of the night? Most people don't practice shooting at night, yet with practice of any kind comes familiarity and calmness to where you hope it's second nature when needed, especially under stress.

Glenn
FAS1SAFE