Biometric safe recommendations?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes > Biometric safe recommendations?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 03:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 50 Times on 34 Posts

Default Biometric safe recommendations?

I would like to get a biometric safe for my wife. I know the code ones are awesome and all, but she doesn't want to remember a code in the middle of the night, and I don't want her to think about that either. What are your experiences? Any recommendations?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

For a hand gun? None. A safe slows you down in a emergency. Teach your kids about Safety around guns. My wife and I both have out CCW's on our night stand at night ready to go. First day of police academy they asked everyone where is you gun and how we keep it. Everyone that said in a safe or with a trigger lock got push-ups. Lol. Mine has always been ready to go.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaMatt72
For a hand gun? None. A safe slows you down in a emergency. Teach your kids about Safety around guns. My wife and I both have out CCW's on our night stand at night ready to go. First day of police academy they asked everyone where is you gun and how we keep it. Everyone that said in a safe or with a trigger lock got push-ups. Lol. Mine has always been ready to go.
My 9 month doesn't have ALL the gun safety rules down. Any suggestions people?
Old 03-06-2013, 04:26 PM   #4
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7425 Times on 4465 Posts
Likes Given: 9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectocotylus View Post
My 9 month doesn't have ALL the gun safety rules down. Any suggestions people?
You are a smart man. And even a gun safety educated 4 year old might just get curious.

I have a Gun Vault with the four fingerpads and you design your own code. I don't know much about gun safes but I know I like my Gun Vault. I'm sorry I can't help you further.

I mostly wanted to congratulate you on keeping your child safe. Continue to do that. Personally, I never leave a loaded gun unattended. If it is on my nightstand at night, it's put away in the safe in the morning unless one carries that gun.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaMatt72 View Post
Your method would be contrary to Florida statute. We are required to store firearms and ammo separately and the firearm must be inaccessible to the child if there is one living there. Please note the word "store" in the last sentence. If the firearm is under your physical control this is not necessary.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectocotylus View Post
I would like to get a biometric safe for my wife. I know the code ones are awesome and all, but she doesn't want to remember a code in the middle of the night, and I don't want her to think about that either. What are your experiences? Any recommendations?
I bought a Barska biometric safe from Amazon that I am very happy with. I was so impressed I bought my daughter one, too. They can be found for around $150 to $175. I will warn you, it is fairly large for a nightstand.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #7
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7425 Times on 4465 Posts
Likes Given: 9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
I bought a Barska biometric safe from Amazon that I am very happy with. I was so impressed I bought my daughter one, too. They can be found for around $150 to $175. I will warn you, it is fairly large for a nightstand.
I keep my bedside safe on the floor next to my bed.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #8

Liked 57 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I bought this one: Barska AX11646 Multi-Access Biometric Keypad Safe, new on ebay for $164 delivered. The specs are here: http://www.barska.com/Biometric_Safe-Standard_Biometric_Keypad_Safe_By_Barska.html

Its large enough to hold four guns, and has a shelf. It is both biometric and keypad operated, with an emergency key to open it. It will store about 30 prints, so I have it set for both thumbs and index fingers put in several different ways. I have never had it not open with these fingers. The keypad is set by default for four numbers, but you can require it to take up to eight. I have it next to my dresser with an eight foot 2x4 bolted to its back and running the length behind the dresser to make it theft resistant. Did not want to bolt it into the floor, my wife would not like that.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

A key backup might be a good idea.

As an aside, both of the Bersa firearms i have owned had a little lock integrated into them that disactivated the trigger. I never used it, but it would seem a handy tool for those with inquisitive kids.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

You are a smart man. And even a gun safety educated 4 year old might just get curious.

I have a Gun Vault with the four fingerpads and you design your own code. I don't know much about gun safes but I know I like my Gun Vault. I'm sorry I can't help you further.

I mostly wanted to congratulate you on keeping your child safe. Continue to do that. Personally, I never leave a loaded gun unattended. If it is on my nightstand at night, it's put away in the safe in the morning unless one carries that gun.
That is my view also. We have always had his and her guns on both sides of the bed. No problem until crawling and standing up started to scare me. I plan on keeping my shotgun out of reach (above bedroom door) but my wife's is on her nightstand currently.