Big Disappointment: Stack-On from Walmart.com - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes > Big Disappointment: Stack-On from Walmart.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 718 Times on 474 Posts
Likes Given: 762

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Thieves in this area just use a concrete saw to bust open any safe. I own a nice concrete saw myself. In less than a week six laborers cut the center out of a two elevator shaft and converter it into a shaft for a single large elevator. How long would it take to cut your $3500 safe open with two saws like that? The people that have been victimized have watchful neighbors. They thought all the commotion was a construction crew working on their neighbors home/property. Who thinks a thief is that bold?
Same thing happened to a friend of mine... If somebody wants your stuff nothing will stop them...

Old 08-01-2013, 07:07 AM   #32

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think we can all agree that if someone wants to get into your safe and are determined, they will, regardless of how much you have spent on your safe. That being said, I have a Bighorn (yes, I know, low end). To "discourage" the would-be thieves, this is my strategy: First, cameras mounted inside and outside of home; Second; gun cabinet in plain view with junk in it, as a diversion; Third, one 90 lb Doberman and one 70 lb Giant Schnauzer; and Fourth, Bighorn safe "creatively" hidden in my home. Before you say, with all the money you spent on cameras, dogs and security systems, I am a divorce attorney, hence the need for guns. I had the dogs, the alarm and cameras prior to the safe, all for personal protection. Personally, most people don't come near my home due to the 160 lbs of fun, anyway. I have chosen to utilize layers of protection. To date, knock on wood, I haven't had a problem yet. Just my $.02 worth.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:58 AM   #33

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

What happened to all those nice American built safes? Well, in the days gone by there was a very large U.S. Steel foundry that was 150 years old. It was located on Utah Lake in Orem, Utah. Just across the street on the South side was all the Big name safe companies. Browning, Fort Knox Etc. Their high grade carbon steel was 100 yards away. The iron ore came from a mine in Wyoming. The "Greens" closed the mine and the Foundry.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:39 AM   #34

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Check out Liberty Safes....high quality with a lifetime warranty....love the one I have

Old 08-13-2013, 02:36 AM   #35

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles_fan View Post
The safe was indeed Chinese made.
Sorry, that is incorrect. Stack on is a 100% American company, with offices, warehouse and manufacturing facilities in Wauconda, Illinois. It may be possible that there are some imported parts on the safes, but that is pretty much true of every single item made in the US. I am certain of this because I drove past the company on a daily basis when I worked in Wauconda.

Never waste time deciding between two guns....buy both of them.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:32 PM   #36

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I purchased a Stack On and am quite happy with it. I paid 400 and got free shipping through Amazon. It's not the best made safe in the world, but it certainly is adequate. Also note that it is American made.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:33 AM   #37

Liked 128 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I have the Sentinel safe.About the same as the Stack-On,and the Stack-On drawer pistol safe where my CCW weapon rests at the end of the day.I'm pretty happy with them and I know they aren't 100% criminal proof (is anything?)But they work for me.I can't afford a $1000 Fort Knox style safe.
But hey,they do say they are California DOJ approved,so they must be good enough!

Old 11-15-2013, 04:02 AM   #38

I currently only own one handgun but I know the philosophy that if you buy one you will buy more. So I am looking at a long gun safe as opposed to a handgun safe. I looked at the smallest stack on they make which I believe they say is for 8 guns. It was on sale last week so I decided to check it out. Until I lifted it straight up. It weighs 67 lbs according to the spec ls but it felt much lighter. I would not recommend it. I am currently on securing my firearm with a cable lock and keeping it out of sight. I do not want to spend a lot because I only have one gun, at the moment.

Is it really worth spending as much on my safe as on my one gun or should I cheap out? I'm more worried about my son than anything else. And he's only 15 months right now.

Should I even go the long gun route?

Old 11-15-2013, 04:19 AM   #39

Liked 241 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I bet even a flimsy safe that is well-hidden will offer good protection . Maybe hide it bolted to the wall deep in a locked closet or storage room .

Kid concerns can be solved by running a cable lock or handcuffs through your gun and attaching it to something solid . In fact, that will stop a lot of burglars as well .

A good Fort Knox or Liberty safe placed upstairs will be hard to steal and if they crack it, they still have to get down the stairs carrying the loot to escape .

Old 11-15-2013, 10:52 PM   #40
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2691 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

The Stack-Ons are not "safes", but rather gun lockers. I plan on getting one to holding my less expensive guns (old .22's, etc.). My "safe" is for guns I cannot replace and would actualy be desirable to a thief.

A Stack-On is adequate for many applications if it is bolted to the floor/wall.

Look at it like military security. You need several layers of security. Lighting and fences for the outer perimeter. Good locks and enhanced striker plates for the inner perimeter. Lockable storage for the final layer. Each layer should deter and slow an intruder, buying time for you, the neighbors or the police to respond

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This