Big Disappointment: Stack-On from Walmart.com - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes > Big Disappointment: Stack-On from Walmart.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 08:15 AM   #21
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1108 Times on 710 Posts
Likes Given: 242

There is no perfect safe. However, some are better than others. A good safe is UL certified as tool resistant. This means they are harder to drill and cut because of the properties of the construction materials. Of my twelve or so safes, three of mine are UL rated tool resistant. I keep long guns in one, pistols in one, and ammo in another.

Another item to recon with is an EMP. If such a blast hits your electronic safe, the electronic lock will be toast.

My main safes are tumbler combination locks, not electronic. No batteries to fail, no worry about EMP.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #22
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1108 Times on 710 Posts
Likes Given: 242

These are not UL listed safes, most of them, but still, some are pretty good, and some knowledge can be gotten by watching the video.

Last edited by AR10; 03-28-2013 at 08:19 AM.
SB777 Likes This 
Old 03-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2156 Times on 1482 Posts
Likes Given: 802

All anyone can do is take reasonable precautions. Get the best safe you can afford. Get a good alarm service. Make sure you have adequate insurance. A determined thief with the proper tools is hard to stop.

There was a priceless diamond display back in the 80"s that was stolen from an exhibit in London. The diamonds were store in unbreakable cases. They had cameras and a great alarm system. The owners of the diamonds were so confident they did not bother with hiring a security guard. A thief stole a bulldozer that was on the property. He ran the bulldozer through the front of the building. Then used the blade on the bulldozer to break the unbreakable cases. The thieves have not been caught to this day, to my knowledge.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 03-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #24

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
There is no perfect safe. However, some are better than others. A good safe is UL certified as tool resistant. This means they are harder to drill and cut because of the properties of the construction materials. Of my twelve or so safes, three of mine are UL rated tool resistant. I keep long guns in one, pistols in one, and ammo in another.

Another item to recon with is an EMP. If such a blast hits your electronic safe, the electronic lock will be toast.

My main safes are tumbler combination locks, not electronic. No batteries to fail, no worry about EMP.
Electronic safe needs a mechanical access back up.. not just for EMP.. failed batteries too

Ken -- Washington the State --
Newer gun owner = Sig Mosquito

Old 03-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #25

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Happy with my old fashioned dial lock Field & Stream 250lb 10 gun safe. Plenty for me, reliable and heavy as hell! Its not a Fort Knox but for now...this will buy me at least 10 years til I need a bigger one

Old 03-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
I so miss the days when every thing we bought proudly said "Made in America".
NAFTA signed by Bill Clinton.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #27

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanBaccha View Post
NAFTA signed by Bill Clinton.
China is not NAFTA.. not for a few million years at least Problem is China has no basic regulations.. so we get kids toys full of lead and you never know what they will substitute for when they run out of an ingredient.
Lots of cheap labor etc. Plus currency manipulation..
Most importantly a large nation of consumers that want it all so will not pay more for stuff made in US.

Ken -- Washington the State --
Newer gun owner = Sig Mosquito

Old 04-07-2013, 03:25 AM   #28

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_inWA View Post
China is not NAFTA.. not for a few million years at least
lol
I doubt the human race will make it that far anyway.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:54 AM   #29

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

The gun "cabinets" used to be made of decently heavy carbon spring steel and were not easy to pry or cut open. I know one gent whose entire cabinet was stolen. The police found it two days later half in a river --the thieves had been trying to pry it open but finally gave up and dumped it. I'm not saying they are safes, and the ones I have were made here and have to have been made towards the end of the last century, but they are OK. Definitely not Walmart stuff I have, though one is better than the other, but I can't speak about their quality either.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #30

Liked 308 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 62

The smaller stack on type lockers are more of a closet than a safe. They do well at keeping guns out of sight. But with smaller gun safes like that, it is probably easier to carry the whole thing off than to break into it on site. My local gun dealer, who works from home, built a secure room in his basement, and then a secured walk in closet for inventory and purchases.