Big Disappointment: Stack-On from Walmart.com - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes > Big Disappointment: Stack-On from Walmart.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 05:50 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 242 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 12

There's a long vid on Youtube by "weaponseducation" on safes . Well worth watching. The guy likes Fort Knox safes and debunks the quality of many imported safes .

You can improve the effectiveness of your safe many times over by hiding it inside a locked closet or storage room or by bolting it to the floor .

Old 03-22-2013, 07:14 AM   #12
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 946 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Someone mentioned a grand safe for three hundred dollars worth of guns.

It is nit your gun collection I am worried about, it is the kids down the street, or my wife, or the head of the Colorado prisons that got mowed down with a stolen gun.

Biden wants new gun laws? How about anyone loosing a gun in a home burglary gets convicted of the same crime as the thief gun user?

If you want to play the gun game, first get the safe, a real safe, then get a gun to keep in it.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #13

Liked 242 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 12

AR-10-
"How about anyone loosing a gun in a home burglary gets convicted of the same crime as the thief gun user?"

Your proposal flies in the face of our American principles of law . Intent and actions matter . The person whose house is broken into and whose gun is stolen is not morally responsible for the actions of the burglar .

To pursue your thinking further though, what punishment would the rightful gun owner get if the burglar obtained the gun from a safe the owner forgot to lock, from a flimsy file cabinet, from an ornate wooden cabinet with glass doors, from a night table in a house with an alarm system ?
Also, if you leave your keys in your car, are you guilty of car theft ? If you leave prescription drugs in a medicine cabinet, did you force your teen and his friends to have a pill party ?

You can't stop crime by " keeping guns out of the wrong hands " . You stop it either by locking up those
" wrong hands " or by cutting off those "wrong hands" a la Saudi Arabia.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #14

Liked 4782 Times on 2313 Posts
Likes Given: 1473

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles_fan View Post
I purchased a combination long gun safe from Stack-On through Walmart.com. Price was good and delivery was quick. That's where things stopped being positive. The safe was indeed Chinese made, but I tried not to judge that since I had decided to go the value route. Combination supplied did not work and stack-on customer service has been silent after sending one note there would be a combination validation.
My first safe was a K-Mart light gauge "like a stack on" with the key lock. It worked great for keeping young hand off things they should not be touching but I would never have considered it as anything "anti theft". A crow bar and 2 minutes will open any of these.

Sorry about your lock troubles but as someone already said... "you get what you pay for".

We do appreciate the heads up through. My eldest son is shopping for an affordable safe just to make sure his room mates can't screw with his guns before he takes them out of my safe. I'll let him know to steer clear of anything with a combo lock and stick with the cheaper "key" locks.

Tack

Old 03-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
My first safe was a K-Mart light gauge "like a stack on" with the key lock. It worked great for keeping young hand off things they should not be touching but I would never have considered it as anything "anti theft". A crow bar and 2 minutes will open any of these.

Tack
Mine is a Sentry from Walmart and like Tack said crowbar and a few minutes it's open, I did mount it to the concrete floor and locked up in a basement closet and the house has ADT alarm system, so I'm not real concerned but I am looking to get one of those highly recommended by pawn shops and gun stores "Fort Knox" safe seems like IIRC they start at $3,500 used in good condition so... it could be awhile but the ol Sentry is plum full 18guns in a 12 gun safe

“Life’s tough … it’s even tougher if you’re stupid.”
John Wayne

Old 03-23-2013, 12:16 AM   #16

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

Gun safes are getting harder to find for a good price. Most are made in china and can be opened with a couple of crow bars. They cost so much money and most of that money is for shipping cost. What I am looking for a floor safe to store my ammo. Worried about if the house were to catch on fire they wouldn't be able to put it out because all the bullets going off. After looking at some video's of gun safes in houses that caught fire, most of them failed and the ones that did survive, you couldn't open to get your guns out. I agree everyone should have some type of gun safe. Wal Mart brands or stack on are better then nothing. But I can't talk bad if you don't have one. I'm there with you. Looking like everyone else to find something they can afford.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:28 AM   #17

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
We do appreciate the heads up through. My eldest son is shopping for an affordable safe just to make sure his room mates can't screw with his guns before he takes them out of my safe. I'll let him know to steer clear of anything with a combo lock and stick with the cheaper "key" locks.

Tack
Better look at the youtube videos of keylocks getting picked in seconds.

We just got our first gun

Ended up with a Barska biometric only safe with power unlock. Easily room for two pistols and 4000 rnds of ammo.

Have yet to find an example of any quick breakins to this model pretty happy with quality
The comceild key backup is probably the weak point. But I doubt there is a lowcost solution that would keep out a motivated roommate with time to study.

Ken -- Washington the State --
Newer gun owner = Sig Mosquito

Old 03-28-2013, 04:39 AM   #18

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

How much does that run and who sells it?

Old 03-28-2013, 05:02 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1575 Times on 1073 Posts
Likes Given: 540

Thieves in this area just use a concrete saw to bust open any safe. I own a nice concrete saw myself. In less than a week six laborers cut the center out of a two elevator shaft and converter it into a shaft for a single large elevator. How long would it take to cut your $3500 safe open with two saws like that? The people that have been victimized have watchful neighbors. They thought all the commotion was a construction crew working on their neighbors home/property. Who thinks a thief is that bold?

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 03-28-2013, 05:49 AM   #20

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycastor View Post
How much does that run and who sells it?
http://www.amazon.com/Barska-AX11224-BARSKA-Biometric-Safe/dp/B002AQ0PFW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364449615&sr=8-1&keywords=barska+biometric+safe

If you were asking me

Ken -- Washington the State --
Newer gun owner = Sig Mosquito