Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes > Average price for a safe?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2013, 12:53 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 762 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 982

Myself I have a big "American" brand safe that I spent a couple of grand for years back. Have always been satisfied with it. But after looking at a friends "Sentry" brand safe ordered thru Wal-Mart on line drop shipped / delivered into his house for under a grand, "Electric Key pad" entry heavy with some fire rating. I think It was a pretty good deal he got.

FWIW

Become steel or get cut.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Talon
Myself I have a big "American" brand safe that I spent a couple of grand for years back. Have always been satisfied with it. But after looking at a friends "Sentry" brand safe ordered thru Wal-Mart on line drop shipped / delivered into his house for under a grand, "Electric Key pad" entry heavy with some fire rating. I think It was a pretty good deal he got.

FWIW
Yea id get one from Walmart... Not as good of quality but it will get the job done and for a much better price!

Old 12-13-2013, 01:21 AM   #13
FAA licensed bugsmasher

Liked 1904 Times on 1041 Posts
Likes Given: 691

A few years ago I paid $550 for a Liberty Centurion at Gander Mander right after Christmas.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 12-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #14

Liked 635 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 385

Quote:
"Electric Key pad" entry
Uhhuh. He got a good deal until those plastic parts in that thing slips, and he can't get into it without destroying it. Been there, not fun. As an interesting side note; mine was a smaller, square fire safe (but also Sentry Brand)with the electronic key pad. It took me about 8 min to get in with a framing hammer and a flat bar. (That included dumping it out, and throwing it out a second story window.) If it had been bolted to the floor, 1/2 the time.

Last edited by clr8ter; 12-13-2013 at 09:37 PM.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #15

Liked 1415 Times on 816 Posts
Likes Given: 989

I paid $800 for my safe. It is a Liberty. But it is from Cabelas and has their brand name on it. It is a good safe. Solid construction and good fire rating.

When you try to decide how much to spend on a safe think about what you are protecting. Are you trying to keep the kids away from 2 hunting rifles? Buy a stack on for $150. That is what I started out with. But now I have a collection worth over ten grand easy. $800 is a good insurance policy.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #16
Retired

Liked 2267 Times on 1356 Posts
Likes Given: 1058

I got a 48 gun Cannon safe from Tractor Supply (with keypad) on Black Friday.
Safe, Delivery, and dehumidifier cost was less than $900.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 12-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #17

Liked 992 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 343

I have Liberty safes. I know I can't keep out a professional thief but a liberty safe will keep out your average thief. Liberty has a good fire rating and service. A friends house burned down. A liberty tech was there two days later to retrieve his valuables. I like the sentry safes at tractor supply. They will stop a smash and grab robber. For under $200 sentry safes are well built. I don't like stack on safes. I can bust into a stack on with a lug wrench. Most thieves have a lug wrench.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 12-17-2013, 05:45 AM   #18

Liked 157 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Geez I guess no matter wants to hear about my 150 dollar walmart special! It's small and only holds about 3 descent size handguns plus a decent amount of ammo!! It's probably not the best made but it works for me!!

Old 01-28-2014, 05:27 AM   #19
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!

Liked 2067 Times on 1425 Posts
Likes Given: 433

Every so often Home Depot has Sentry Safes on sale($479-$799 depending on size), not the very best but a 30+ minute fire rating(1200 degrees) and 16-20-24-30 gun capacity depending on size, that you can also expand with Many add-ons...

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 01-28-2014, 12:48 PM   #20
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.

Liked 949 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 698

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
From what I have read, even looking at a safe doesn't matter, if you don't know what you are looking at/for. You have to know that, and be able to ask the right questions. See Gun Safes "The Truth" by weapons Education on YouTube. One of the better ones I've found.

Here's the link http://youtu.be/ltK-bDbADa8 I've had that one bookmarked too.

Buy bigger that what you need. I think most of us learned that mistake. You can get a decent combination safe for a small collection at decent price as everyone mentioned. This one is good if you don't have much or need something to get started due to budget - http://www.stack-on.com/categories/stack-on-safes/products/37

In not a fan of the keypads either. Tumblers have been around forever.

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World