Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   FAL Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f170/)
-   -   ptr 91 ? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f170/ptr-91-a-96515/)

Ultimate_sig 09-04-2013 12:33 AM

ptr 91 ?

I was offered a ptr 91 in a trade and it has the German paratrooper stock on it but I have never seen one and I am lost as to the value. What would one be worth

Ultimate_sig 09-04-2013 01:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic

Attachment 116963

mountainman13 09-04-2013 01:42 AM

Here's a ballpark.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=363060818

Ultimate_sig 09-04-2013 06:04 AM

Are they good rifles, accurate, reliable

mountainman13 09-04-2013 01:14 PM

I've only taken about 10 shots with something similar. I don't recall any major malfunctions. It was accurate enough. I enjoyed it.
Although I do remember someone managed to wedge a bullet in the mag backwards. Still not sure how that happened.

Ultimate_sig 09-05-2013 03:18 AM

Picked up today and it does look nice

robocop10mm 10-18-2013 01:54 PM

PTR91's are made on a combination of HK and new machinery. They bill themselves as having better barrels than HK. I think not, HK used hammer forged barrels that were tough as nails. Heavier and thicker does not mean better.

You need to get an understanding of the roller delayed locking system. There is no gas system to foul but there is a delicate balance inherent to the design. Look up "bolt gap" and "false gap". Get a set of oversize rollers from robertrtg.com. Someday they will be needed.

Chamber flutes are of the most misunderstood aspects of the system. The flutes permit gasses to escape along the body of the case. The case floats on a cushion of gas. HK flutes the chambers quite deeply. This is a characteristic that balances with the thick case walls of the 7.62 X 51 NATO spec ammo. It is also a feature that makes them unsuitable for many .308 loads. PTR has made barrels with a wide variety of flute depths. The deeply fluted ones act like HK's and only like the NATO ammo. The shallowly fluted ones have a definite bias toward US commercial .308 and do not like the NATO ammo.

CLEAN THE CHAMBER LIKE CRAZY. The key to reliability in these rifles is having a clean chamber.

I would start with NATO spec ammo and see if that performs well. If not (and the chamber is clean) move to .308 ammo. It will likely have a definite preference.

Get a stuck case removal tool. You will eventually need one if you shoot .308. Not a big deal, tool is affordable and easy to use.

Steel case ammo seems to work pretty well on most of these rifles. I prefer Silver Bear as it does not gum up the flutes like lacquer or polymer coated cases can. If you use lacquered cases, give the chamber flutes extra TLC (gasoline cuts the lacquer well).

Stock up on the Aluminum magazines while they are sill affordable. They were as cheap as $1 at one time. $5 is more common now. When they are gone, they are gone.

Ultimate_sig 10-18-2013 02:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 1405350)
PTR91's are made on a combination of HK and new machinery. They bill themselves as having better barrels than HK. I think not, HK used hammer forged barrels that were tough as nails. Heavier and thicker does not mean better.

You need to get an understanding of the roller delayed locking system. There is no gas system to foul but there is a delicate balance inherent to the design. Look up "bolt gap" and "false gap". Get a set of oversize rollers from robertrtg.com. Someday they will be needed.

Chamber flutes are of the most misunderstood aspects of the system. The flutes permit gasses to escape along the body of the case. The case floats on a cushion of gas. HK flutes the chambers quite deeply. This is a characteristic that balances with the thick case walls of the 7.62 X 51 NATO spec ammo. It is also a feature that makes them unsuitable for many .308 loads. PTR has made barrels with a wide variety of flute depths. The deeply fluted ones act like HK's and only like the NATO ammo. The shallowly fluted ones have a definite bias toward US commercial .308 and do not like the NATO ammo.

CLEAN THE CHAMBER LIKE CRAZY. The key to reliability in these rifles is having a clean chamber.

I would start with NATO spec ammo and see if that performs well. If not (and the chamber is clean) move to .308 ammo. It will likely have a definite preference.

Get a stuck case removal tool. You will eventually need one if you shoot .308. Not a big deal, tool is affordable and easy to use.

Steel case ammo seems to work pretty well on most of these rifles. I prefer Silver Bear as it does not gum up the flutes like lacquer or polymer coated cases can. If you use lacquered cases, give the chamber flutes extra TLC (gasoline cuts the lacquer well).

Stock up on the Aluminum magazines while they are sill affordable. They were as cheap as $1 at one time. $5 is more common now. When they are gone, they are gone.

Thanks for the advice I actually traded the rifle and got a Dpms recon 308. I don't think this rifle has hardly been shoot and looked near new. Pretty happy with my out come