Your primary weapon versus multiple bad guys - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Your primary weapon versus multiple bad guys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 06:50 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I carry .45 for a reason. When I bought my m&p .45, i bought it for a few reasons. One, I plan to be a police officer when I'm out of college, and this will be my duty weapon. the PD's here let you carry whatever you want as long as there is an armoror. Second, I like the caliber. I will admit I'm new to handguns, and would have been better off getting a smaller caliber to start. But I plan, and already am getting proficiant with my .45 to feel comfortable carrying it and being able to defend myself. When my CCW comes in I will carry .45 JHP. This is also what is set up next to me as I sleep. I carry .45 because I feel if I ever come into danger and that I actually need to use my firearm, the BG will go down a lot harder than I will. Thankfully where I live we are allowed to defend ourselves without getting a lot of flak for it. I hope I don't need to use my weapon, but I know if I do, I can use it proficiently, and feel comfortable using the .45 caliber. I'm getting a Beretta next week and wont carry it. I don't think 9mm will have the stopping power. I know I know, any caliber with a well placed bullet will stop a BG, but in a situation in which I may need to use my firearm, I doubt I will be clear enough to get the perfect shot, just close enough to do damage. I prefer .45. And I have shot a 9mm, and know that I prefer .45 for defense. It's too bad that people like this, that kill for fun, run around our streets. It's more motivation for me to be a LEO. These guys are loads that should have been swallowed.

Smith&Wesson M&P .45
Beretta 92fs

NRA member since November 16, 2009

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."-V

Old 01-07-2010, 09:05 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius10721 View Post
My next door neighbor just got their house robbed in the morning after they went to work so Im going to buy a good german shepard for a guard dog. For years my wife has been against owning a dog but for me this was the last straw . I want a dog that can protect me and my family and give me the valuable time necessary to grab a firearm. For home defense I still believe a twelve guage pump shotgun is #1.
I agree! My lab barks. My german shepherd doesn't bark. He just sneaks up on you, sticks his nose in your crotch, and waits for my o.k. one way or the other.
At home, next to the bed I keep a double stack 1911 in .45. I have been lucky that I have never had to shoot at anyone. If I do have to I want wiggle room, in case my aim isn't as good as it is at the range. Those extra rounds don't cost me a thing. The handgun is next to the bed. The shotty is in the closet.
Around town, It's either a compact 1911, or a sig 229 in .40.
My opinion differs from Cannebrake. I want lots of rounds. In theory I won't need alot of rounds, but who really knows?

Old 01-07-2010, 09:50 PM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm torn on this issue. I had a Mossberg 18" 12 guage that I purchased for the home defense role. But, I really wanted a new CCW pistol and didn't want to pay actual cash for it so the street sweeper was sacrificed. I have a hunting shotgun, 20 guage, and I hunt deer with rifles. My night stand gun is the Security Six .357 mag. My CCW is now a Taurus 709 slim, which is what I traded for with a little cash. My primary time to prepare handguns are a CZ 75 9mm and a High Standard 1911 .45. If the BG is in my house, I'll grab for the wheel gun first. Next would be a 30-30, maybe. I might keep my 20 guage at the ready but it has a 26 " barrel. I let the 12 guage go cause I had all areas covered. Hunting, CCW, Home defense, and target guns. The 12 guage just didn't make the cut. So I would recommend to someone who could only have one gun to get a 12 guage 24" or so and cover your home defense and hunting. If you could get more guns, say $1000 worth, I would suggest a 3 gun brace for all things. A rifle, shotgun, and pistol. The choice between revolver and semi would depend on said person's comfort level in shooting a handgun and how much time they could practice. A semi-auto reqires a bit more confidence and preparation than a wheel gun.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:01 AM   #24

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

1911 with 17 230gr HST's on my person or at night in my bedroom next to a flashlight, a blade, a locked/loaded M4gery full of 60gr BT's and plenty of extra P-mags
--------Gate

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 01-08-2010, 01:08 AM   #25

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Colt 1991A1, 3 - 8 round mags, 230 grain JHP. Not concerned about multiple attackers. After the first hit, the rest will run.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:30 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
1911 with 17 230gr HST's on my person or at night in my bedroom next to a flashlight, a blade, a locked/loaded M4gery full of 60gr BT's and plenty of extra P-mags
--------Gate
A fellow HST fan, huh?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-08-2010, 01:51 AM   #27

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Yessir! Need to be buying more soon, stockpile is low!

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 01-08-2010, 02:38 AM   #28

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius10721 View Post
My next door neighbor just got their house robbed in the morning after they went to work so Im going to buy a good german shepard for a guard dog. For years my wife has been against owning a dog but for me this was the last straw . I want a dog that can protect me and my family and give me the valuable time necessary to grab a firearm. For home defense I still believe a twelve guage pump shotgun is #1.
We started with one german. He is a pure breed, from the old country, and he now weighs in at around 105-108 pounds, depending on how much I have fed him.

He was purchased for the very real reason that when the weather is crappy, and people are without power, I am out for hours on end restoring that system.

My woman was home alone previously. That is a situation that I was not comfortable with, so I changed that.

Now we have added a second one. Another pureblood and this one is a female. We plan on breeding them.

The neat thing is, they work as a very effecient team.

When something spooks them, the big one, my boy, goes to tear someone a new ass. He is "fur up, slinking" towards the "threat".

The girl comes in, on the other hand, and checks on us. She makes sure we are "okay" then she tears ass down to where the boy is for backup.

Now that we have them, I can't imagine NOT having them around. They are so awesome. Smart. Loyal. Completely love the small kidlets in the neighborhood when we are out for walks. They rock.

Now. If you haven't heard the barking, haven't seen us walking them, and you are DUMB enough to break into this house, you better come ready to bleed and plan on losing at least some flesh.

No joke, these two will MORE than keep you busy while I reach over and grab my 1911.

And then.... Well....

Old 01-08-2010, 03:28 AM   #29

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Terrible story. This happened 28 miles from my house, kind of an eye opener. My wife and I drive through Vernon every time we go visit her relatives in VT.

For home defense, I keep a S&W M&P 40 with an extra mag (that would be 20 rounds in Taxachusetts ), a S&W 200 lumens tac light, and my cell phone on my night stand, my wife has her P22 and identical tac light on her night stand. And as many have stated, i also have a shotgun, 870 set up for home defense with 3" 00 Buck, three steps away in the corner of my closet.

Don't pick on my wife for using a P22 - I'm working on getting her accustomed to larger calibers. At least its something

Old 01-08-2010, 03:32 AM   #30

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
Terrible story. This happened 28 miles from my house, kind of an eye opener. My wife and I drive through Vernon every time we go visit her relatives in VT.

For home defense, I keep a S&W M&P 40 with an extra mag (that would be 20 rounds in Taxachusetts ), a S&W 200 lumens tac light, and my cell phone on my night stand, my wife has her P22 and identical tac light on her night stand. And as many have stated, i also have a shotgun, 870 set up for home defense with 3" 00 Buck, three steps away in the corner of my closet.

Don't pick on my wife for using a P22 - I'm working on getting her accustomed to larger calibers. At least its something
Dan, where ya been?

Your visits to the FTF have been spotty the past months!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello