Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Your Personal Protection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2007, 12:59 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Mainly a firearm though I do carry a SOG Trident which is large enough if worse came to worse you could fight with it. But I would avoid knife fighting at all costs as I have absolutely no idea how and I'd rather be shot than stabbed.

I plan to start some martial arts here shortly for nothing more than something to do but the knowledge is never a bad thing.

I don't plan to take on a roving band of ninjas or professionals just the occasional desperate crack/meth head and stupid criminals.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:51 AM   #12

I'm issued a Tazer and it seems to incapacitate people very well. If you miss with the two prongs and don't have time to reload, just pull the cartridge off the front and use it as a "stun gun". It has open sights, a lazer, and a light. Not bad for less lethal.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:16 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Amen to the first post!!!! Know whats going on around you, where you are and what you are doing. Being able to spot a bad situation and avoid it is the best self defense!

I'm still working on getting my CCW permit so right now I'm counting on the limited martial arts I learned in the Marine Corp when I'm out on the street. At home I have a Springfield XD in 45 ACP at the ready as well as a 12 ga pump under the bed. A pistol is a great side arm but I would never get involved in an altercation with only my pistol. I'll use my pistol as a last option or as a first option to fight my way back to the long guns!

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 05-02-2008, 03:22 AM   #14

I think that options are the key. The US has options. They have nukes, snipers, door kickers, booms, negotiations, and a number of other options. The more options that the US has, the more it can make a difference. For instance just because you have a nuke doesn't mean that you can use it to solve all of the problems. I nuke doesn't get used most of the time. But it gives us a lot of clout when we want to negotiate with Russia. It dose us no good when we want to stop terrorists though. We have door kickers and snipers to deal with those guys.

My point is, I think of my handgun as my Nuke. It will not get used very much, but the fact that I have it gives me a lot of control over what happens. However, the handgun doesn't solve many problems that I might face, such as my drunk neighbor shoving me on my porch, because I mowed over his flowers. Here is where my wit, knowledge of the law, and/or martial arts abilities kick in. The gun is still their, in case things get more serious, but I wouldn't use it at that time. Only having one option such as carrying a gun, only allows you to solve a limited number of problems.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:22 PM   #15

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnorman18 View Post
I sometimes carry an Irish blackthorn walking stick. It has the advantage of being legal everywhere, even on airplanes, and raises no eyebrows even when taken into a courtroom or a house of worship. Also, if I should need it, it's already in my hand.

There are some excellent videos available on the use of walking sticks for defense; it's not used as one would expect, and is more effective against knife attacks and multiple attackers than anything other than a gun. My own stick still has thorn-stubs up and down its length--even better.
Where can I get one?

Old 05-05-2008, 01:58 AM   #16

Emerson Super Karambit

Old 05-06-2008, 10:46 PM   #17

Liked 198 Times on 137 Posts

I used a shovel from the bed of my truck once.