Is Your Gun a Weapon or a Talisman? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Is Your Gun a Weapon or a Talisman?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2009, 06:45 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I'm an American, a Vet and a man. I will do my best.
That, there, is my new sig. Well said, sir.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:42 PM   #22

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I've watched Delta Force several times................nuff said.

Last edited by Gojubrian; 07-11-2009 at 08:42 PM. Reason: fix italics

Old 07-11-2009, 08:49 PM   #23

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Seriously though.

Decent shot with my firearms.
Keep in good physical condition.
Practice martial arts and firearms regularly.
I have a family to protect, those of you who do know how that can make a man when they are threatened.
Have good avoidance and awareness skills.

Nothing to brag about really, but I believe I'm prepared for situations that are even semi-likely to occur.

Threads like these seem to bring out keyboard warriors, but it seem like I know most of you guys are being straight up.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:23 PM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't have many guns, so when I practice, I use the same ones over and over again. I am a surgeon with my hand guns and can quick draw and double tap nearly anything into extinction. Confidently.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:04 PM   #25

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I can hit moving targets with my marker. I am always on the lookout when I am at the mall. Nobody mess with me.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 07-11-2009, 10:26 PM   #26

Default Practice

First let me say that most gun ranges will not allow you to practice the way you need to for the "real" world situation. Drawing from the holster flip the safety off and fire. And continue to do this until a person develops muscle memory.

I work part time at a local gun range and I am trying to talk them into allowing this type of practice on “special occasions” even if it were limited to people who passed the NRA Basic Pistol class or former military.

I recognize I need this type of practice.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:53 PM   #27

Liked 246 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 12

This is an email that is circulating :

Incoming Fire Has the Right of Way
Clint Smith, Director of Thunder Ranch, is part Drill Instructor, And part stand up comic. Here are a few of his observations on Tactics, firearms, self defense and life as we know it in the Civilized world.

"The handgun would not be my choice of weapon if I knew I was going to a fight....I'd choose a rifle, a shotgun, an RPG or an atomic Bomb instead."

"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and Always win."

"Every time I teach a class, I discover I don't know something."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

"Make your attacker advance through a wall of bullets. I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, cause it's going to be empty."

"If you're not shootin', you should be loadin'. If you're not loadin, you should be movin', if you're not movin', someone's gonna Cut your head off and put it on a stick."

"When you reload in low light encounters, don't put your flashlight in your back pocket... If you light yourself up, you'll look like an angel or the tooth fairy..and you're gonna be one of 'em pretty soon."

"Do something. It may be wrong, but do something."

"Nothing adds a little class to a sniper course like a babe in a Ghilliesuit."
"Shoot what's available, as long as it's available, until something else becomes available."

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous.. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for."

"Don't shoot fast, shoot good."

"You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

"You have the rest of your life to solve your problems. How long you live depends on how well you do it."

"You cannot save the planet. You may be able to save yourself and your family."

"Thunder Ranch will be here as long as you'll have us or until someone makes us go away and either way it will be exciting."

More Excellent Gun Wisdom......The purpose of fighting is to Win!

There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either.

The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

And other gun sayings :

1. Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, He'll just kill you.

2. If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

3. I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy.
4. When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.

5. A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him 'Why do you carry a 45?' The Ranger responded, 'Because they don't make a 46.'

6. An armed man will kill an unarmed man with monotonous regularity.

7. The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. 'Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?' 'No ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle.'

8. Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it!

Old 09-18-2009, 02:51 AM   #28

A very, very good post, all the way through. With or without your permission, ineffable, I may have a T shirt made that says "Master Sensei of Bang Fu." Got to be one of the funniest lines i have ever heard. I wisheall my students were as thoughtful as you guys. i also like the post that said if my gun clears leather, something is going to die. I always tell my students that there are three kinds of guns that are useless. The one you don't know how to use, the one you don't have with you, and the one you WON'T use.
Far, far to many of them thnk that just having a gun will solve problems, and that is far from the truth.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:43 AM   #29

Liked 421 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 1242

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
Another devotee of Santa Barbara!
No, we haven't held emergency drills, and I haven't grappled over a weapon lately. I fully expect that when I finally get to my firearm in a full-blown assault, I'm going to already be bleeding and badly injured due to a blind-side attack consisting of more than one person. Seriously, crooks know better than to walk up to you with a bullhorn announcing their intentions. Serious muggers are artists.
My concern is the pissed-off doper that causes a wreck and decides to blame it on me, which, of course, must include my azz-kicking for participating in the demolition of his stolen car. Standing in line at the store when someone decides that he or she can have anything they want because they have a gun. Being attacked by a domestic dog, and it not ending in a quick bite and immediate retreat. I don't live in a high-crime area, but I travel to some. On the road, there are no crime stats printed on the cars, so you never know what will come of the slightest fender-bender.
this sums it all up for me.