Is Your Gun a Weapon or a Talisman? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Is Your Gun a Weapon or a Talisman?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2009, 10:43 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

good post IGETEVEN,

The more skills one possesses, the more likely they're able to fight back in a life-threatening event. One has to be confident in their ability if they wish to overcome the fear they will experience in a conflict.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:36 PM   #12

Liked 90 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I hope that I would be ready.
I train others in combat pistolcraft and have done so for nearly 30 years.
I practice a lot, set-up different scenarios,etc., when out for practice. (realistic training).
20 years in martial arts, although havn't trained for many years due to physical limitations.(thats why I carry my 1911).
Have been in shooting situations. (retired Deputy Sheriff).
I keep 3 loaded handguns in the house in various locations, family members have been trained.
I am (almost) always aware of my surroundings.
I know my physical limitations.
I am always watching other people when away from home.
Back to practice, my practice sessions are usually about 500 rounds on any particular day.

I hope that anyone who carries has enough training and the where-with-all to come out on top in any given situation. Some of the things they should also know is what to do and what NOT to do after the fact.

Jim............................

Last edited by masterPsmith; 07-10-2009 at 11:39 PM.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:10 AM   #13

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
If I'm carrying and the pistol clears leather, something/someone is going to die. There is no other reason to carry, ever.
Ditto, no need to type it again!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:36 AM   #14
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My family is aware at home that if the alarm goes off the safe room is the master bed room. And over the years I have set the alarm off to see review the response. I have two large gogs that sleep in the house and trust them more than ther alarm system, when they get up in the middle of the night so do I and I'm arm myself. When at home if the door bell rings I am able to see who is at the door via security camera and answer the door armed if I do not know trhe person at the door and my dogs also go straight to the door and bark when the door bell rings. In public I honestly try to be aware of my surounding but don't treat it like a recon mission, I always conseal carry and practice in the cloths and holster I wear. I believe first impressions are everything, I do my best to look attentive, confidant and if I cross paths with someone who looks sketchy I look them straight in the eyes, I expect they are looking for an easy target and I do my best to come off as more work than the effort is worth. I have a heavy bag in my garage that I spend time with a couple times a week, it's a great way to unwind and a good way to keep tuned up on basic skills.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:43 AM   #15

Since I am a newbie, my answers would probably be weak at this point to the above thought-provokers. I only just today applied for my conceal carry permit. So I am way in the back, but at least I am in the race. If I could EVER find my 45ACP ammo ANYWHERE at non-ripoff prices, I would buy some and commence range practice. (On that note I live close to an hour from the nearest range, if I HAD the ammo to practice with!, Plus where is training? I can find none closer than 90 minutes plus from my house, according to the NRA. So I am somewhat on my own, which is frustrating, but slowly I am making contacts. People don't exactly advertize "I carry", or "I am a gun nut!!").

I have no delusions at this point about my lack of capability, but one point I am fairly sure of - if it "came down to it", I think I am better off having my 45 than not having it.

I believe that the more "good guys" there are that are carrying, the less the "bad guys" will try to start anything. I've decided to "join the team", even though I realize the stakes are high. There isn't (or shouldn't be) any such thing as a "casual" carrier.

- Mossberg 500 12G Tactical: Adjustable stock + pistol grip
- Springfield XD-45ACP, 4" Service Model

Still don't know nuthin', but I'm a-learnin!

Last edited by Succinct; 07-11-2009 at 02:38 AM.

Old 07-11-2009, 02:00 AM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Reply

1) Do you train realistically with the gun and gear you actually carry with the clothes you actually wear? What does "realistic" mean to you?

No

2) Will your gear and gun hold up under the stress of a physical encounter? How do you know?

Yes - They won't get that close

3) Do you regularly train against a live, resisting opponent?

No

4) Could you physically hold up against an all-out assault from a determined adversary? How do you know?

No

5) Do you actively train your mind for violent conflict? How?

No

6) Do you carry less-lethal options when you carry your gun? Have you practiced regularly with them?

No

7) Do you EVER go anywhere unarmed where you are not legally prohibited from doing so?

Yes

8) Have you assessed how long it would take you to get to your weapons from any point in your home? Have you checked it against entry from various points in your home?

Yes

9) If you have spouses/significant others or children, have you trained them in how to respond if it all goes down? Would they reproduce this behavior if you asked them to do it RIGHT THIS MINUTE?

Yes

10) Do you become task-fixated in public places? Balancing the check book in the parking lot? Talking or texting on the cell phone while walking across the parking lot? Be honest with yourself.

NO

It doesn't matter if you do all of these things or none of these things. What is important is that you understand where you stand and decide what you want to be.

I do

Nothing we write on a keyboard will save us, and I mention again, this posting is not meant to offend, but mainly to get people to start thinking.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:17 AM   #17
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Succinct View Post
Since I am a newbie, my answers would probably be weak at this point to the above thought-provokers. I only just today applied for my conceal carry permit. So I am way in the back, but at least I am in the race. If I could EVER find my 45ACP ammo ANYWHERE at non-ripoff prices, I would buy some and commence range practice. (On that note I live close to an hour from the nearest range, if I HAD the ammo to practice with!, Plus where is training? I can find none closer than 90 minutes plus from my house, according to the NRA. So I am somewhat on my own, which is frustrating, but slowly I am making contacts. People don't exactly advertize "I carry", or "I am a gun nut!!").

I have no delusions at this point about my lack of capability, but one point I am fairly sure of - if it "came down to it", I think I am better off having my 45 than not having it.

I believe that the more "good guys" there are that are carrying, the less the "bad guys" will try to start anything. I've decided to "join the team", even though I realize the stakes are high. There isn't (or shouldn't be) any such thing as a "casual" carrier.
First good luck on you ccp. Next take that long drive to get the training and pay the price for the ammo. It is truly cheap insurance for you and yours, a firearm is only as good as the hand that holds it. It might be a bitch of a drive and cost you more than it should but if that time comes it is money well spent.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:46 AM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 28

well, i unfortunately cannot concealed carry. I do prepare myself.
Situational awareness is easy to practice. Simply drop into a bar (diner for me) and case the place, look at the people, then effective and solid backstops if you have to shoot. look for reflective surfaces, exits, entrances, bathrooms, and kitchen entryways. I have trained extensively in hand to hand, wrestling, ju-jitsu, and krav maga.

I am no stranger to violence, I train hard for wrestling and football by lifting weights and working on cardio.

I need to improve my bladed weapon combat skills.

If I got into a fight, I would be able to hold off one attacker long enough to get away, two and I might be left on the sidewalk.

I have access to an 870 loaded with slugs and buckshot. If someone came into my home, I would not hesitate to shoot them.

No one has ever broken into my home thankfully, and I hope no one ever does. My practical experience is a few fights that were easily handled. but they weren't with hardened criminals or drug addicts.

Please, to all members that carry, make sure you are good at what you do to protect people like myself who can't legally do so. Would I? O yes, everywhere except if i went to a school... then it would be in the car ready to go.

I am not an unstoppable killing machine, I am a citizen, and a minor at that. I have to keep trying to prepare while I can and encourage all others, young, old, or middle aged to keep training, even if you're a vet its good to brush up and learn at least one new thing

"I only regret I have but one life to lose for my country" Nathan Hale

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:43 AM   #19

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

i'm good with my tools...but i aint no carpenter

Old 07-11-2009, 04:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
First good luck on you ccp. Next take that long drive to get the training and pay the price for the ammo. It is truly cheap insurance for you and yours, a firearm is only as good as the hand that holds it. It might be a bitch of a drive and cost you more than it should but if that time comes it is money well spent.
Thanks! And I completely agree re making the trek and paying for the ammo. My problem with it is that being truly prepared means that on-going training is required, not just one or two jaunts to the next county over, firing a couple hundred rounds. This is something that should happen continually, not just once or twice, because this is teaching your body and mind to react and work in harmony - that is something that always requires lots of practice over time to achieve.

If I had a place nearby + available ammo, I'd be shooting 50 to 100 rounds per week and once every 6 months or so participating in an all-day or two-day combat training exercise. Neither is happening right now....

- Mossberg 500 12G Tactical: Adjustable stock + pistol grip
- Springfield XD-45ACP, 4" Service Model

Still don't know nuthin', but I'm a-learnin!