Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Is Your Gun a Weapon or a Talisman?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2009, 03:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Default Is Your Gun a Weapon or a Talisman?

It is my belief that 95% of people who carry guns are not prepared to survive a violent assault (including police officers). While this may offend a lot of carriers, and maybe some police officers, I feel its important to address.

So I ask, is your gun truly a weapon to you or a talisman that will hopefully ward off those who will bring you harm?

To answer this question properly, I have come up with a series of ten questions with sub-questions. They are not all-encompassing but should give you some ideas to ponder if you are really interested in self-defense and not just busting caps (as fun as that is). There are other issues such as first aid and other issues, but I think this list does a pretty good job questioning the basics of your plan.

1) Do you train realistically with the gun and gear you actually carry with the clothes you actually wear? What does "realistic" mean to you?

2) Will your gear and gun hold up under the stress of a physical encounter? How do you know?

3) Do you regularly train against a live, resisting opponent?

4) Could you physically hold up against an all-out assault from a determined adversary? How do you know?

5) Do you actively train your mind for violent conflict? How?

6) Do you carry less-lethal options when you carry your gun? Have you practiced regularly with them?

7) Do you EVER go anywhere unarmed where you are not legally prohibited from doing so?

8) Have you assessed how long it would take you to get to your weapons from any point in your home? Have you checked it against entry from various points in your home?

9) If you have spouses/significant others or children, have you trained them in how to respond if it all goes down? Would they reproduce this behavior if you asked them to do it RIGHT THIS MINUTE?

10) Do you become task-fixated in public places? Balancing the check book in the parking lot? Talking or texting on the cell phone while walking across the parking lot? Be honest with yourself.

It doesn't matter if you do all of these things or none of these things. What is important is that you understand where you stand and decide what you want to be.

Nothing we write on a keyboard will save us, and I mention again, this posting is not meant to offend, but mainly to get people to start thinking.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Last edited by IGETEVEN; 07-09-2009 at 04:37 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-09-2009, 04:14 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Good questions

I keep a handgun with me at home. It's also in hand when I open the door. There's a 1911 on the desk as I write this. I exercise and try to keep in shape. I have no qualms about shooting an attacker whatsoever. I will not engage in a wrestling match or fistfight.

I am a proponent of Colonel Jeff Cooper and Massad Ayoob's philosophy.

I am an old veteran and served in the Air Force. I was not in any type of combat unit, I was a Ramp Rat. (which wasn't a feather merchant job)

However, I still have my balls and will not be trifled with.

I do my best not to sound like some internet ninja, because I'm not. I'm an American, a Vet and a man. I will do my best.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-09-2009, 05:20 PM   #3

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post

I do my best not to sound like some internet ninja, because I'm not. I'm an American, a Vet and a man. I will do my best.
Excellent brother, excellent!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-09-2009, 06:37 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm a New Yorker....and a vet, but being a NY'er I had more "situational awareness" before I even joined the military....if you've ever spent time in NYC you'll know what I mean...

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-09-2009, 07:09 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

If I'm carrying and the pistol clears leather, something/someone is going to die. There is no other reason to carry, ever.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:32 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8316 Times on 3595 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

The talisman is the St Barbara's medal on my dog tags.

The one in the holster is the weapon.

Several years back, was taking grandmunchkin and her friend (age 6) out for ice cream. Was putting on my jacket, and little girl noticed my revolver on my belt. She asked granddaughter "Why does your grampa have a gun?" Little girl looked at me, looked at her friend, and said "Silly! 'Cause he's the GROWNUP!"

That seems to about cover it.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:09 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post

Several years back, was taking grandmunchkin and her friend (age 6) out for ice cream. Was putting on my jacket, and little girl noticed my revolver on my belt. She asked granddaughter "Why does your grampa have a gun?" Little girl looked at me, looked at her friend, and said "Silly! 'Cause he's the GROWNUP!"
Great stuff and a smart grandchild.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-10-2009, 01:28 AM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post

Another devotee of Santa Barbara!
No, we haven't held emergency drills, and I haven't grappled over a weapon lately. I fully expect that when I finally get to my firearm in a full-blown assault, I'm going to already be bleeding and badly injured due to a blind-side attack consisting of more than one person. Seriously, crooks know better than to walk up to you with a bullhorn announcing their intentions. Serious muggers are artists.
My concern is the pissed-off doper that causes a wreck and decides to blame it on me, which, of course, must include my azz-kicking for participating in the demolition of his stolen car. Standing in line at the store when someone decides that he or she can have anything they want because they have a gun. Being attacked by a domestic dog, and it not ending in a quick bite and immediate retreat. I don't live in a high-crime area, but I travel to some. On the road, there are no crime stats printed on the cars, so you never know what will come of the slightest fender-bender.

Last edited by gorknoids; 07-10-2009 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Raw stupidity.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:04 AM   #9

I'm not sure what I am. I grew up on the West Side of Cleveland, I was always around my own kind.

Then Busing started in 1980. When I started the fifth grade, I was sent to the east side, they didn't like us being there, we where refered to as white dogs, how do I know,you may ask?, because they called us it to our faces.

Whenever we went to the bathroom, we had to go in groups of atleast five, I'm not kidding, or we would get the crap kicked out of us. This went on through the 12th grade. In 1988 the year I graduated, we always had LEO's and School Security but, teacher's were still thrown down steps, and I've heard it has gotten a whole lot worse there. So, why do I bring this up?

I brought this up because, I had to learn to survive at an early age.

(1). You use every glass door, pictures with a glass covering, vending machines with glass front as a mirror, to see who's behind you.

(2). Look for shadows moving ahead and around you.

(3). Listen to what your ears are telling you.

(4). Pay attention to your gut feelings.

(5). Always and I do mean always pay attention to your surroundings. Always walk with your head up. You don't see theats in the side walk it's self, and if your worried about tripping, then learn to pickup your feet when you walk.

(6). Learn your area, even if you have to drive past the first time, to see what you need to know, if you get into trouble.

So, do I think I'm prepared? You never know until your tested. Would I drop the hammer if needed. I'm only tring to stop the threat so, stop moving.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:00 AM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Good questions

I keep a handgun with me at home. It's also in hand when I open the door. There's a 1911 on the desk as I write this. I exercise and try to keep in shape. I have no qualms about shooting an attacker whatsoever. I will not engage in a wrestling match or fistfight.

I am a proponent of Colonel Jeff Cooper and Massad Ayoob's philosophy.

I am an old veteran and served in the Air Force. I was not in any type of combat unit, I was a Ramp Rat. (which wasn't a feather merchant job)

Perfect! +100
My job dictates that I train and be prepared. From my presence to my verbal skills, from my awareness to my fists, from my flashlight to my firearm, I am as ready as I can possibly be.
I am constantly running different scenarios through my mind in anticipation of something going haywire. I pray that it never does but I believe I am ready. To many precious lives depend on it.

"Tolerance is the Virtue of a man without Convictions" G. K. Chesterton

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Considering the fact that the victim is the first one at the scene of a violent crime, I believe all law abiding citizens should be armed.

"Fast is fine, Accurate is final." - Wyatt Earp