Your experiences with Leo's - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Your experiences with Leo's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #41
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwk4667 View Post
As I stated before I am torn - - - on the one hand I feel their should be no restrictions to your 2nd amendment right to carry but on the other hand I see a need for some type of competency review.

As far as the cost any local club with NRA endorsed classes around here are quite reasonable.

I believe “Introduction to Firearms” ( 2 half days ) normally a Friday evening and a Saturday morning is about $50.00 and bring 100 rounds of ammo that fit the weapon you are bringing with you. No ammo allowed on Friday - - - all class work - - - leave your ammo in your car Saturday, about ˝ hour class time then get your ammo and we all go to the range.

Safety, safety, safety Firearms loaded on the shooting bench only. Load 1 round, wait till Range officer announces and fire your round, clear weapon , bench weapon.

We have a minimum of one instructor for every 2 people on the line. If no problems then we load 2 rounds go thru again.

Then 3 rounds up to 5 rounds at a time.

When everyone has shown some level of proficiency we will have 10 round drills with no more than 5 rounds loaded at a time so the instructors get to watch you reload and back on target.

It is nice if someone brings cheap ammo so that the class gets first hand experience with failure to feed, failure to eject, misfires. All of these issues are covered in class but it helps bring to life if seen firsthand.

This class in no way qualifies any one for carry but it will give the basics and might make you some friends and allow you to sign up for more reasonably priced classes and possibly join the local club.
Yep, i'm torn as well bro.

That seems pretty inexpensive...havent seen anything like that around here. The only class i saw around here was a defensive shooting course that is $250.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 01-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #42

Liked 118 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Do you have any Conservation clubs in the area?

Here is a link to the local one - - - great people - - - If you don't have one you might need to get a bunch of like minded people together and start one!

FALL CREEK VALLEY CONSERVATION CLUB

About an hour and a half from Ft Wayne right off exit 26 on I 69 - - -do not need to be a member to attend class ( class is $5.00 higher to non members )

Old 01-14-2012, 03:02 AM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1325 Times on 786 Posts
Likes Given: 247

We have a discussion on another forum about my states conceal permit classes. MI state laws are quirky, and the problem is that many LEO's have no idea what the laws really are, conceal instructors are not much better with legal instruction. Even then, there's a local report of a guy that was pulled over and said his firearm was not loaded because the safety was on... WTH do you do with someone that unfamiliar with a firearm? What do you do with people that are not interested in learning the legal, or SAFE use of a firearm? The constitution side of me says, 2A is 2A is 2A. The family side of me says, people too stupid to own firearms shouldn't.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:10 AM   #44

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux
We have a discussion on another forum about my states conceal permit classes. MI state laws are quirky, and the problem is that many LEO's have no idea what the laws really are, conceal instructors are not much better with legal instruction. Even then, there's a local report of a guy that was pulled over and said his firearm was not loaded because the safety was on... WTH do you do with someone that unfamiliar with a firearm? What do you do with people that are not interested in learning the legal, or SAFE use of a firearm? The constitution side of me says, 2A is 2A is 2A. The family side of me says, people too stupid to own firearms shouldn't.
The risk of becoming a victim to someone else's negligence is the price we pay to live in a free society. That sucks, but it's the way it is.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:12 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux
Ah yes, I know that thread well.

I agree with your assessment. I still shake my head at the tards in my class.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:37 AM   #46

Liked 3200 Times on 1441 Posts
Likes Given: 2969

Your risk of being killed by one of these people by automobile is much greater than being shot by one of them. And yet the test to see if someone is a competent driver is ridiculously simple. Driving by the way is not a right.

In Ohio I had to pay for a ccw permit and the class but if I wanted to carry in the open there is no class. Carrying open is legal and there is no tax/permit. So why do I have to waste 12 hours and a 100 bucks plus the money for the permit/tax to put my shirt tail over my weapon? Maybe it should be called a shirt tail tax instead of a Concealed Carry Permit.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:42 AM   #47

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

I honestly believe at some level, just like everything else it becomes about the revenue.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1017 Times on 494 Posts
Likes Given: 617

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
I honestly believe at some level, just like everything else it becomes about the revenue.
That's the whole thing in a nutshell!

Old 01-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #49

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

When I pull someone over I make my assessment on their overall attitude, body language, and their record, if known at the time...not if they are legally carrying or not. If someone informs me they are carrying I will thank them for the courtesy of letting me know and tell them not to make any movements toward their weapon. Just because someone has a weapon doesn't make them an instant good/bad guy in my eyes. That is determined by the way you act when I contact you. Lastly, I won't play favorites and give you a break just for having a permit or being a nice person, and I won't give you a ticket just because I'm a little upset to be working on a holiday, opening day, my anniversary etc. If I stopped you it was for a reason...if you get a ticket it is based on the seriousness of the violation and your driving record...not because I think you're a good or bad person based on your right/decision to carry.

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Last edited by USMC-03; 01-14-2012 at 01:19 PM.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:30 PM   #50
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwk4667 View Post
Do you have any Conservation clubs in the area?

Here is a link to the local one - - - great people - - - If you don't have one you might need to get a bunch of like minded people together and start one!

FALL CREEK VALLEY CONSERVATION CLUB

About an hour and a half from Ft Wayne right off exit 26 on I 69 - - -do not need to be a member to attend class ( class is $5.00 higher to non members )
Yeah, we have a few, but there again the memberships can be salty for the better ones.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!