Your experiences with Leo's - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Your experiences with Leo's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 05:56 PM   #31
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 754 Times on 438 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwk4667 View Post
Yes it is scary that many people who don't know what they are doing have firearms.

Indiana is a "Shall issue" state - - - in other words if you go and lay your money down and ask for a CCW permit, if you have never been convicted of a felony the state will issue you one.

I hate having restrictions on anything but you have to pass a test to drive - - - it would make sense to me that you need to pass some test to carry.

When I run into these situations I always strongly recommend they go take at least an “introduction to firearms” course.
as much as i agree with folks needing to get SOME sort of training before carrying. I also agree with lack of restrictions.

I DO NOT like the idea of being forced to take a permit class to have access to a constitutional right....its bad enough we must first apply for, then pay for access to that right. (again, i agree folks could and would benefit from these things...i myself am seriously thinking about enrolling my wife and myself in a local defensive shooting course, one for her benefit and second, for my own kicks and giggles...BUT that $500+ would pay bills or buy a LOT of ammo/reloading components) but my thought runs along the lines of; First, classes cost money and there are a LOT of folks that its a financial burden to simply purchase a firearm and ammo. Second, a class is only as good as the instructor...i have heard/read a LOT of horror stories of "instructors" not knowing their head from a hole in the ground, and giving out bogus info as gospel.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 01-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #32

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwk4667
Yes it is scary that many people who don't know what they are doing have firearms.

Indiana is a "Shall issue" state - - - in other words if you go and lay your money down and ask for a CCW permit, if you have never been convicted of a felony the state will issue you one.

I hate having restrictions on anything but you have to pass a test to drive - - - it would make sense to me that you need to pass some test to carry.

When I run into these situations I always strongly recommend they go take at least an “introduction to firearms” course.
There is a course required (for ccw) in Ok...pretty much just 6 hrs worth of which end to point downrange but anyway, they do cover the basics of how not to shoot yourself or others accidentally. Are there states where there is no requirement at all for proficiency tests?

Old 01-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #33
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwk4667 View Post
Here I get a basic traffic violations search and an open warrents search - - - I have never been informed of a CCP

I might get for more than one individual if the plate is not in the drivers name.
hmm, i always thought it was a state wide data base. Must be a local thing.

I have been asked a couple times during stops/interviews if i was carrying my piece AFTER the officer comes back with my ID. I have NEVER been asked first, nor have i ever disclosed that i was armed. Yet after running my name/id they knew i had my permit.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #34
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
There is a course required (for ccw) in Ok...pretty much just 6 hrs worth of which end to point downrange but anyway, they do cover the basics of how not to shoot yourself or others accidentally. Are there states where there is no requirement at all for proficiency tests?
As stated above. Indiana is "Shall issue" if you pass the back ground check the state CANNOT refuse to give you your permit.

no classes necessary or other requirement needed other than a felony/special misdemeanor free back ground.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj

As stated above. Indiana is "Shall issue" if you pass the back ground check the state CANNOT refuse to give you your permit.

no classes necessary or other requirement needed other than a felony/special misdemeanor free back ground.
Oklahoma is "shall issue" as well, yet a class is still a requirement. That's the reason I asked.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #36
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
Oklahoma is "shall issue" as well, yet a class is still a requirement. That's the reason I asked.
Seems to me thats counter intuitive to the idea of "Shall issue"...Its "May issue" IF you take the classes.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj

Seems to me thats counter intuitive to the idea of "Shall issue"...Its "May issue" IF you take the classes.
Yeah. I can't argue your logic, but that's what they tell us.

Here is usacarry.com's shall/may issue map:

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

Old 01-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #38

Liked 9213 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51

MS requires no test. We are moving to an "enhanced permit" that allows a little more freedom on where you can carry and to get it a test is required, but that's an optional license, the basic license just costs a little money and time.
Personally, I'm not sure on the differences between the two.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #39

Liked 1040 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51

Yeah. I can't argue your logic, but that's what they tell us.

Here is usacarry.com's shall/may issue map:

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html
My grandfather "in law" was one of the state senators that passed the Oklahoma Self Defense Act. He is retired now though

Old 01-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #40

Liked 118 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

As I stated before I am torn - - - on the one hand I feel their should be no restrictions to your 2nd amendment right to carry but on the other hand I see a need for some type of competency review.

As far as the cost any local club with NRA endorsed classes around here are quite reasonable.

I believe “Introduction to Firearms” ( 2 half days ) normally a Friday evening and a Saturday morning is about $50.00 and bring 100 rounds of ammo that fit the weapon you are bringing with you. No ammo allowed on Friday - - - all class work - - - leave your ammo in your car Saturday, about ˝ hour class time then get your ammo and we all go to the range.

Safety, safety, safety Firearms loaded on the shooting bench only. Load 1 round, wait till Range officer announces and fire your round, clear weapon , bench weapon.

We have a minimum of one instructor for every 2 people on the line. If no problems then we load 2 rounds go thru again.

Then 3 rounds up to 5 rounds at a time.

When everyone has shown some level of proficiency we will have 10 round drills with no more than 5 rounds loaded at a time so the instructors get to watch you reload and back on target.

It is nice if someone brings cheap ammo so that the class gets first hand experience with failure to feed, failure to eject, misfires. All of these issues are covered in class but it helps bring to life if seen firsthand.

This class in no way qualifies any one for carry but it will give the basics and might make you some friends and allow you to sign up for more reasonably priced classes and possibly join the local club.