Your experiences with Leo's - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Your experiences with Leo's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #21
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1236 Times on 839 Posts
Likes Given: 166

I have pulled over many ccw holders, and everyone is not the same, like stated above it all depends on your attitude towards me. If you treat me with respect and seem to me like you are a responsible person, we have no issues, however this is not the case in all instances, for some, they feel that because they are "armed" it gives them power or something. 90 % of people that i have had on a traffic stop that have had a CHL there is no issue with

My theory when dealing with someone that has a firearm on them, like stated above, do not show me yours, and i will not show you mine....... Keep hands at 10 and 2 and if you need to reach for anything, tell me what you have to get, and where the item is located, and perform the task slowly.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #22
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
Oklahoma is a "must inform" state,if you get pulled over you need to hand your CCP along with your other information and inform the officer that you have a weapon. I never had any problems with CCP holders whenever i was a LEO,actually made my job easier because i normally didnt even run their information. "have a nice day and be safe"
That being siad, i know that here, usually an officer knows if a person has a CCW or not before they ever approach the vehicle. When you run the tags, the ccw info is displayed with the rest of the pertinent info.

I say usually.

Funny tale, got pulled over a few months back (for making a proper and legal move that another driver took offense to....rolling up on a green light, mini van was turning left, waiting for traffic to clear, car ahead of me came to a stop (no turn signal) so i tossed on the signal, bounced to right lane and shot thru the light...car in front at the last second decided to bounce to right lane as well (again no signal) i already had position and never touched the brake. Dumbazz in the car thru a fit, blared the horn, officer was sitting at the red light at the intersection)

ANYWHO...Said officer came around the corner and lit me up, i pulled over, off the main street onto a quiet side street (i REFUSE to stop on main arteries when lit up, i always kick on my hazzards, to signal i see the officers lights, then proceed to find somewhere off the beaten path to stop, for mine and the officers safety) Officer runs tags, then proceeds to come to my window in a huff, being decidedly nasty and rather rude. I explain my side of the story (made a LEGAL move) he takes my documentation back to the cruiser....he comes back a few minutes later with a completely different attitude, hands my documents back and politely bids me good day.

The funny part is the truck is registered to the wife (she doesnt have her ccw license yet) he had NO clue I was a ccw holder or that i had the 1911 tucked comfortably between the seats...when he ran my credentials I am SURE he then noticed i was a CCW holder, along with my SPOTLESS criminal and driving record.

My point being, the knowledge that one may (or may not) be packing a gun ALWAYS changes ones attitude to one of polite professionalism, no matter if they are cops or regular run o the mill citizens.

"An armed society is a polite society" - Heinlein

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 01-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #23

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray

Agreed....now occassionally you will come across a person with a CCP that is a bad person and is carrying for the wrong reason but its pretty rare and you can usually pick them out pretty easy.
I think it was AZL who mentioned "the attitude test". Yes, if someone fails the attitude test, you may have gotten a rotten apple.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 898 Times on 547 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwk4667 View Post
Then about 20% of the people will ask me to clear the weapon for them as they don't know how!
that is a scary thought

Old 01-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #25

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj

That being siad, i know that here, usually an officer knows if a person has a CCW or not before they ever approach the vehicle. When you run the tags, the ccw info is displayed with the rest of the pertinent info.

I say usually.

Funny tale, got pulled over a few months back (for making a proper and legal move that another driver took offense to....rolling up on a green light, mini van was turning left, waiting for traffic to clear, car ahead of me came to a stop (no turn signal) so i tossed on the signal, bounced to right lane and shot thru the light...car in front at the last second decided to bounce to right lane as well (again no signal) i already had position and never touched the brake. Dumbazz in the car thru a fit, blared the horn, officer was sitting at the red light at the intersection)

ANYWHO...Said officer came around the corner and lit me up, i pulled over, off the main street onto a quiet side street (i REFUSE to stop on main arteries when lit up, i always kick on my hazzards, to signal i see the officers lights, then proceed to find somewhere off the beaten path to stop, for mine and the officers safety) Officer runs tags, then proceeds to come to my window in a huff, being decidedly nasty and rather rude. I explain my side of the story (made a LEGAL move) he takes my documentation back to the cruiser....he comes back a few minutes later with a completely different attitude, hands my documents back and politely bids me good day.

The funny part is the truck is registered to the wife (she doesnt have her ccw license yet) he had NO clue I was a ccw holder or that i had the 1911 tucked comfortably between the seats...when he ran my credentials I am SURE he then noticed i was a CCW holder, along with my SPOTLESS criminal and driving record.

My point being, the knowledge that one may (or may not) be packing a gun ALWAYS changes ones attitude to one of polite professionalism, no matter if they are cops or regular run o the mill citizens.

"An armed society is a polite society" - Heinlein
Im not sure if Oklahoma has changed up anything in the past couple of years but the only way that a LEO could tell if a person was a CCP holder was by doing a triple I. It didnt show up on the basic info checks

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 01-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #26
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwk4667 View Post
Then about 20% of the people will ask me to clear the weapon for them as they don't know how!

that is a scary thought
Yeah, thats kinda what i was thinking when i read that...but thought was more like "What the HELL are you doing carrying a gun you dont know how to operate!?!?"

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 01-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #27

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Here I get a basic traffic violations search and an open warrents search - - - I have never been informed of a CCP

I might get for more than one individual if the plate is not in the drivers name.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #28

Lastcast, you mentioned above that you have a Federal Firearms Permit. If I may be so bold to ask, what is your occupation and what are the steps or qualifications to getting a Federal Permit?

Old 01-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
Yeah, thats kinda what i was thinking when i read that...but thought was more like "What the HELL are you doing carrying a gun you dont know how to operate!?!?"
I was wondering that as well...

Old 01-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #30

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Yes it is scary that many people who don't know what they are doing have firearms.

Indiana is a "Shall issue" state - - - in other words if you go and lay your money down and ask for a CCW permit, if you have never been convicted of a felony the state will issue you one.

I hate having restrictions on anything but you have to pass a test to drive - - - it would make sense to me that you need to pass some test to carry.

When I run into these situations I always strongly recommend they go take at least an “introduction to firearms” course.