You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Your experiences with Leo's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
In the free state of IN, unlike MI, you do not have to declare you're armed. Unless directly asked "Do you have any weapons on you?"

Also you can carry ANYWHERE, unless the building houses a court room.
I agree with you on that but if your in MI and do not declare your armed you could be in trouble. I just made it a habit to declare I don't have time to memorize all 50 state rules. I do have a Firearm travel guide I look at before I travel. I do have it with me but a traffic stop is not the time to look up was it Ohio or IN that I do not have to declare?. The travel guide said it is a good idea to tell the officer you have a permit.

One more thing can you carry in a church with a school attached in IN?
ďThere are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.Ē Ted Nugent

Old 01-13-2012, 02:10 PM   #12
fmj

Liked 755 Times on 439 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007BondJamesBond007 View Post
I agree with you on that but if your in MI and do not declare your armed you could be in trouble. I just made it a habit to declare I don't have time to memorize all 50 state rules. I do have a Firearm travel guide I look at before I travel. I do have it with me but a traffic stop is not the time to look up was it Ohio or IN that I do not have to declare?. The travel guide said it is a good idea to tell the officer you have a permit.

One more thing can you carry in a church with a school attached in IN?
I know in MI you have to declare. Originally from there and still spend a ton of time up there. That law irks me to no end...and yes, thanks to new law July 1 2011 the ONLY place one cannot carry is a building housing a court room.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Last edited by fmj; 01-13-2012 at 02:13 PM.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My wife was stopped recently for a minor traffic infraction and made the mistake of handing the officer her CCP along with her Driver's License. He immediately took a step back, put his hand on his pistol and demanded to know if she had her weapon with her and where it was. She has a little LCP that she carries in her purse on a dialy basis, so upon notifying him of the fact he instructed her to leave her purse in her car, exit the vehicle and stand in the rear of the car with her hands on the trunk lid.

My wife is a cute blonde, without any kind of angry attitude and clearly was posing no risk to anyone simply by possessing a CCP. Needless to say she was humiliated by the officer's uninformed behavior and has stated that she will never make that mistake of offering up her Permit again.

Cops just need to get over that they aren't the only ones who get to carry guns anymore. At least 50% of the honest, hard working people I know down here are "packing" 24/7.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #14

Liked 9218 Times on 5061 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Snakedriver, I hate stories like these. Simply the fact that someone has a permit is a strong indicator in and of itself that if anything, this is someone who is NOT likely a threat. It proves that they have undergone more than just a cursory check, and is literally a statement that this person has the trust of the state to be carrying a firearm.

I hate it when lawful owners and carriers are put through that kind of crap.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Snakedriver, I hate stories like these. Simply the fact that someone has a permit is a strong indicator in and of itself that if anything, this is someone who is NOT likely a threat. It proves that they have undergone more than just a cursory check, and is literally a statement that this person has the trust of the state to be carrying a firearm.

I agree, I come from a police family and have several immediate family members who are still on duty with long police careers behind them, so I fully understand the threat. That said, we live in an affluent section of Florida with very little serious crime. People like my wife who choose to exercise their 2nd Amendment rights should be allowed to do so with being needlessly harassed by law enforcement. If she had been misbehaving in some manner that was threatening to the officer, I would have understood his caution, but that's just not my polite & pretty wife at all.

Last edited by Snakedriver; 01-13-2012 at 03:02 PM.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #16
fmj

This is one reason i like IN no declare law....cops are citizens as the rest, they are also human. Some good, others, not so much. My concealed weapon is my last line of defense against any and ALL intrusions by humans....wether they carry a badge or not!

I see declare laws as more "us vs them", "we're above the law" garbage. When the excuse is raised "its for the safety of the officers" when arguing for declaration law...this is the same idea/mindset used by opponents of carry law.

The same theory is in effect as any other carry law...the bad guys arent going to declare and THOSE are the ones that will most likely use a gun on an officer. I mean by definition they are NOT law abiding citizens. Whereas a law abiding citizen WILL declare but are the ones LEAST likely to fire on an officer.

Law breakers vs law abiding citizen.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #17

Liked 118 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

If I pull you over and you tell me you have your CCW and permit I will ask you where it is and take note - - - I do not want to be surprised by a gun!

If your weapon is in the glove box with your registration I will ask you to remove and unload the weapon and put it out of reach until we are done. Then about 20% of the people will ask me to clear the weapon for them as they don't know how!

I would recommend informing the officer while both hands are on the steering wheel ( 10 & 2 o'clock ) in a non threatening manner!

Put yourself in their position. They want to go home after their shift!

Iím not going to tell you how each one will react but many times your approach will dictate how they treat you - - - or they might be having a bad day - - - they are human!

Old 01-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #18

Liked 1040 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Oklahoma is a "must inform" state,if you get pulled over you need to hand your CCP along with your other information and inform the officer that you have a weapon. I never had any problems with CCP holders whenever i was a LEO,actually made my job easier because i normally didnt even run their information. "have a nice day and be safe"

Old 01-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #19
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwk4667 View Post
If I pull you over and you tell me you have your CCW and permit I will ask you where it is and take note - - - I do not want to be surprised by a gun!

If your weapon is in the glove box with your registration I will ask you to remove and unload the weapon and put it out of reach until we are done. Then about 20% of the people will ask me to clear the weapon for them as they don't know how!

I would recommend informing the officer while both hands are on the steering wheel ( 10 & 2 o'clock ) in a non threatening manner!

Put yourself in their position. They want to go home after their shift!

Iím not going to tell you how each one will react but many times your approach will dictate how they treat you - - - or they might be having a bad day - - - they are human!
By the time said officer ever gets to my window i have all proper documentation ready and waiting for inspection.

I have a strict policy, if you dont show me yours, i wont show you mine.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #20

Liked 1040 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

Agreed....now occassionally you will come across a person with a CCP that is a bad person and is carrying for the wrong reason but its pretty rare and you can usually pick them out pretty easy.