Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > You catch an intruder in your house during the night.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 07:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 110 Times on 82 Posts

Default You catch an intruder in your house during the night.....

I have often pondered this scenario and wondered what I would do or what others would do. You wake up to a bump in the night and you catch said intruder. What do you do next? Do you put the guy down immediately because basically this is a home invasion since your home and he could have buddies, armed and willing to kill you? Do you say "don't move" and hold him captive till police arrive? Or do you just react to what happens next, he obeys-you don't shoot, he runs away- you don't shoot, he reaches or raises something-you shoot, you hear he has company-you shoot? Really no wrong answer in my opinion since this is your domain and a home invasion which in my mind the criminal is already willing to kill whoever is home or they would not have done the home invasion/break-in anyways.

Never enough guns or ammo

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-02-2014, 08:00 PM   #2

Liked 740 Times on 422 Posts
Likes Given: 1179

We would just hear the dogs tearing something apart out in the yard. then find parts of him in the field while mowing next summer (like we do with deer) But if the bad guy did make it in i wouldnt take any chances.

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

blackxpress Likes This 
Old 03-02-2014, 08:06 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

I have 2 dogs and a 2 room dorm, plus a tiny bathroom. My dogs would have woken me up to any sound if his entry. If he continued in with the sound of them barking then he already past the crazy test, I'd have already fired 3 times if I went for my handgun, and at least once with a shotgun before I stopped to ask questions.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:09 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

I have an attack beagle to keep him busy, If the intruder is armed with a firearm......I have my Rosy (p226). If not with a firearm....chemical warfare and a quick lesson in combatives.

"Feuer Frei!"

Old 03-02-2014, 08:46 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2527 Times on 1479 Posts
Likes Given: 1396

If an intruder is in my home, he has already proven to me that he has no regard for me or family's well-being. All bets are off and I ask him to identify himself. If the voice/name doesn't set me at ease, no mercy, no remorse.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

People Like This 
Old 03-02-2014, 09:06 PM   #6

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 181

Wife calls 911... I go like rambo. Alarm don't run him/her off..
I got nightlights I can see. Situation tells me they go to jail or body bag.

Posted By R1D2, Many leagues under the sea..
Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?
-Joker :)

(Remember the fallen!)

Old 03-02-2014, 09:19 PM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19987 Times on 11361 Posts
Likes Given: 50414

with the fact that i have outside dogs and inside dogs, and that anything within about 100 yards will alert them, it's very seriously unlikely anyone will get into my home unnoticed. now if i didn't have the dogs and someone were to get in, they knew i was home more than likely to begin with. in my mind, they are a threat.

i consider that there is a difference between a home invasion and a simple robbery of my home. a simple robbery, they are more than likely going to break in when no one is home, and steal what valuable they can as quickly as possible, and then leave. a home invader, is a different type of criminal. they go in late at night, or very early in the morning and know the homeowners are more than likely home. many home invasions leave the homeowners, dead, beaten, raped and robbed. the robberies are usually an after thought. they don't care whether anyone is home, and many times kill them so there are no witness's to their criminal acts.

so given that manner of thinking, i am not in the least going to offer a fair chance. there is a threat to me and my loved ones and i will do all in my power to protect them and eliminate the threat.

Balota Likes This 
Old 03-02-2014, 09:26 PM   #8

Liked 110 Times on 82 Posts

The humane side of me wants to be able to say honestly I had no choice but to shoot if I shoot, but the protective dad/husband side of me shows no mercy for criminals in my domain. The duality of man. Why chance it?

Never enough guns or ammo

Old 03-02-2014, 09:29 PM   #9

Liked 59 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

My home, uninvited, dead. No chance if I have the upper hand. Why give the bad a guy a chance to get the upper hand?

Old 03-02-2014, 09:35 PM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19987 Times on 11361 Posts
Likes Given: 50414

Quote:
Originally Posted by wknight40 View Post
My home, uninvited, dead. No chance if I have the upper hand. Why give the bad a guy a chance to get the upper hand?
if a criminal wanted chances and opportunity, they should have picked a different career rather than breaking into people's homes.

i feel neither compelled or obligated in giving a home invader any type of fair advantage.
People Like This