You carry THAT! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > You carry THAT!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 01:04 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 940 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 1215

Firestar works for me...

My view... Carry a pistol that is historically known to function reliably in a caliber that is sufficient to your need. Practice with it and shoot it well.

Carry a sturdy rig that works for you and carries your pistol properly that maintains the degree of angle "position" you prefer to draw from. Practice drawing and coming on gun point with it regularly.

As a hobby I work with leather, and I make a good majority of my carry rigs. With the exception of SASS rigs I don't make gun holsters for anyone beyond my family.

I always look through the used holster offerings at the gun stores, looking for some jewels I can flip or get inspiration from...

Become steel or get cut.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:42 AM   #12

Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSchramm View Post
Wait, THAT'S what you carry??!!

Just kidding. Interesting choice. I agree with your reasoning. As long as its reliable and you're comfortable with it, no problems. By the way, what's the capacity of that lil guy?
In the .40 caliber, 6 + 1.

They also made it in a 9mm, and, in a slightly larger frame, .45.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:44 AM   #13

Liked 4705 Times on 2276 Posts
Likes Given: 1437

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
I agree with you completely. Your life is not worth cheaping out on a handgun for -- EXCEPT, as stated, this little Firestar is as reliable as any of my more expensive guns, and more accurate out of the box than any of my compact 1911's. I do not feel that I am making any sacrifice in the quality of my protection by carrying one. Now, if I KNEW that I was going to get into trouble, my first choice would be a full size 1911, and I usually have one of those in my car or my backpack.
Interesting...

I would agree that "price" is irrelevant. In the world of guns, it is often true that one gets what one pays for, however, it is equally true that "inexpensive" and "cheap" are no always synonymous...

C3 laid of the requirements of any CCW piece... As long as your EDC meets these standards... it really should not matter if it cost you $200 or $1200.

I would disagree with the "If I knew a fight was coming" comment. I love my 1911's as well but... If I know the Devil's on the doorstep... Or waiting at my destination... My Remi 870 will be the gun in my hand.

...with my 4" Kimber being downgraded to BUG status.

Tack
Old 05-14-2013, 04:04 AM   #14

Liked 285 Times on 247 Posts

Oh, you kill me. I love my firestars, especially the starvel 45. Gorgeous gun!

I carry my m43. The 45 is far too wide.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:11 AM   #15

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
If I am involved in a shooting, and the most expensive firearm I own is confiscated-
(1) My life and well being are worth FAR more than any gun I own, or ever hope to own.
(2) I have two brothers that are lawyers that will make your life miserable until you return my piece, cleaned and lubed.

My biggest concern for a carry weapon is reliability, ease of use under stress, reliability, accuracy. reliability, concealability- and did I mention reliability?
100% my comments exactly except my lawyer is not my by brother.

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Old 05-14-2013, 10:08 PM   #16

I have the same model firestar in 9x19, it was my dads before he got his Glock 19, only reason he changed was he hated carrying the weight of the gun after years carrying a ruger wheel gun on patrol.

The Government today announced that it will be changing the offical union jack emblem to a condom, this reflects more accurately the Governments political stance. Acondom allows for inflation, halts production, distroys the next generation, protects a bunch of pricks, and gives you a sense of secuity while you're actually being screwed. Trooper 7687 11/01/2011

Old 05-14-2013, 11:46 PM   #17

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

C3 and Tack have told it like it is. If I know a fight is coming, my carry gun will become a BUG and the BIG toys are going to have a chance to stop what ever is in their path. Since this will never happen (I hope ) my carry gun will just have to be sacrificed if need be...till the lawyers are done.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:08 AM   #18

Liked 2448 Times on 1394 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

Finding a compromise in the cost, weight,

concealability, and willingness to have the rig

confiscated, is a private cross we all bear.

IMHO personal preference will truly only be

important to us.

On a lighter note, I've also been finding

some great holsters cheap, in the discard bin.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #19

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have a Sig 1911 but really prefer my Taurus PT92 because of the way it feels in my hand.
I realize it doesn't have the stopping pwr of the 45 acp but comfort adds to accuracy in stressful situations.