You carry THAT!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > You carry THAT!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 12:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default You carry THAT!

I could pretty much carry any handgun I want. In my current collection I have several "name brands" which would make good carry guns -- Colts, Smiths, Rugers -- and if I really felt that there was a pistol out there that were the PERFECT carry weapon, I could buy, trade, or steal one. So, with all these good choices, which one is by far my most frequent carry?

A .40 Firestar. In the ugly Starvel finish.

About 15 years ago I realized i was carrying around a Colt Officer's ACP that I had about $1500 sunk into, and if it got lost, stolen, or confiscated I would just piss and moan about it forever. So, at the next gun show I looked around, and saw the Firestar. Although different internally, the controls were the same as a 1911, so I wouldn't have to unlearn anything. And it was a stubby, heavy little beast, which I liked.

A the range I was pleasantly surprised -- it was accurate, and easily controllable when shooting with one hand.

Now, I also own several nice Galco holsters. What do I carry the Firestar around in? Some unknown holster I found in a bin on a gun show table for $10.00.

Not the classist rig, but it works. Anybody else out there carry a budget rig when they could go with a more expensive set up?

(FYI -- my second most common carry is a 1911)

firestar.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-13-2013, 12:18 AM   #2

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Isn't that what Glocks are for? They are serious, reliable, functional firepower that you wouldn't have to mourn if you ever lost one.

Granted, I have my $1200 1911 that I carry occasionally, but my Kahr CM9 (the budget version) gets a lot of time in my waistband. I'd hate to lose it, but it wouldn't break me. But I'd much rather rely on my Kahr or my Glock than trust my life to a Firestar.

Just sayin'...

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Last edited by CHLChris; 05-13-2013 at 04:22 AM.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:20 AM   #3

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Forgive fanboy, he knows not of what he speaks. I have the same exact gun and, especially with the extended +1 mag, it is SUCH a sweet little shooter.

Picture for illustrsation purposes only...

Carry? No. P-64.

star-firestar-w-extended-mag.jpg  

Last edited by HockaLouis; 05-13-2013 at 12:39 AM.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:23 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8930 Times on 3869 Posts
Likes Given: 1398

If I am involved in a shooting, and the most expensive firearm I own is confiscated-
(1) My life and well being are worth FAR more than any gun I own, or ever hope to own.
(2) I have two brothers that are lawyers that will make your life miserable until you return my piece, cleaned and lubed.

My biggest concern for a carry weapon is reliability, ease of use under stress, reliability, accuracy. reliability, concealability- and did I mention reliability?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 05-13-2013, 12:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
Isn't that what Glocks are for? They are serious, reliable, functional firepower that you wouldn't have to mourn if you ever lost one.

Granted, I have my $1200 gun that I carry occasionally, but my Kahr CM9 (the budget version) gets a lot of time in my waistband. I'd hate to lose it, but it wouldn't break me. But I'd much rather rely on my Kahr or my Glock than trust my life to a Firestar.

Just sayin'...
Mmmmm. . .not a Glock fan. Tried a Model 23, sold it after a few months. Hated the trigger. This little Firestar is one of the most reliable guns I own, and, as stated, was suprisingly accurate at 10 yards.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
I have the same exact gun and, especially with the extended +1 mag, is SUCH a sweet little shooter.

Picture for illustrsation purposes only...
The one pictured is actually my 2nd Firestar -- my first was a blued model, and liked it so well I got the other as a spare. Still have both, but usually carry the Starvel finish.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
If I am involved in a shooting, and the most expensive firearm I own is confiscated-
(1) My life and well being are worth FAR more than any gun I own, or ever hope to own.
(2) I have two brothers that are lawyers that will make your life miserable until you return my piece, cleaned and lubed.

My biggest concern for a carry weapon is reliability, ease of use under stress, reliability, accuracy. reliability, concealability- and did I mention reliability?
I agree with you completely. Your life is not worth cheaping out on a handgun for -- EXCEPT, as stated, this little Firestar is as reliable as any of my more expensive guns, and more accurate out of the box than any of my compact 1911's. I do not feel that I am making any sacrifice in the quality of my protection by carrying one. Now, if I KNEW that I was going to get into trouble, my first choice would be a full size 1911, and I usually have one of those in my car or my backpack.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:39 AM   #8

I would also note that at the time I started carrying the Firestar, Texas did not have a concealed carry permit. If I got caught carrying, I would loose the gun. I was a criminal defense attorney who spent a lot of time in bad parts of town around bad people.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:53 AM   #9

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

LOL, that's some interesting tale counselor. If you don't have one see if you can find one of the extended mags -- besides the addn'l round it really is a pleasant change in ergonomics.

There are not alotta semi-autos the very appearance of which would have people wet themselves as well as a Starvel-finished Star M-40.

And for the unfamiliar, Spanish co. Star made some high quality arms. It is a shame they did not survive...

Last edited by HockaLouis; 05-13-2013 at 12:57 AM.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:03 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Wait, THAT'S what you carry??!!

Just kidding. Interesting choice. I agree with your reasoning. As long as its reliable and you're comfortable with it, no problems. By the way, what's the capacity of that lil guy?

Always have clean socks.