Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Are you armed when at home?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 12:59 AM   #441
Texas Ranger Fan!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16811 Times on 9743 Posts
Likes Given: 43865

as much as i endorse having a gun as a device for self protection, i still like the idea of a loud dog. a loud dog is a deterent for a casual thief if no one is home, because they have no idea as to the size of the dog. now a determined thief may or may not break in if they hear a dog barking. at night when everyone is home and in bed, a dog can be your best early warning system that things are not right.

i will also point out there is big difference in a home burglary and a home invasion. a burglary usually takes place when they know that no one is home and are not looking for a confrontation, just your valuables. a home invasion is usually done at night when the homeowners are home and is usually violent and sometimes deadly. these types of criminals are very dangerous as they know the homeowners are home and just really don't care, and the outcome can end up being very bad.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:03 AM   #442

Liked 52 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I carry a Sig P938 on me at all times, and it goes in my nightstand when I'm in bed. I keep my Kimber .1911 in my arm rest of my truck at all times, and my wife keeps her Ruger LCR 38 Special in her nightstand as well.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:03 AM   #443

Liked 257 Times on 227 Posts

Can't carry at work, but always have one under the seat in my car or in a pocket when out and about on my own time, unless going to have beers.

When at home I dont bother carrying, but there's loaded weapons around at all times, easily accessible to those whom know where to look.

Old 10-13-2012, 04:28 AM   #444
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1631 Times on 854 Posts
Likes Given: 3375

Have my CZ82 at the 4 o'clock.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:41 AM   #445

I put it on when I get dressed, and take it off when I go to bed. It makes sense to me to carry at home, mostly because I don't want to lock up the gun. And with kids running around, I definitely want it locked up if I'm not in complete control of it.

The only difference between how I carry away from home and at home is this: at home, I don't have a round in the chamber. (That is my compromise with my wife, who doesn't like me carrying in the house.)

Old 10-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #446

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Most of the time yes. If not on me, within a few seconds away and always loaded.

"Tolerance is the Virtue of a man without Convictions" G. K. Chesterton

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Considering the fact that the victim is the first one at the scene of a violent crime, I believe all law abiding citizens should be armed.

"Fast is fine, Accurate is final." - Wyatt Earp

Old 10-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #447

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
as much as i endorse having a gun as a device for self protection, i still like the idea of a loud dog. a loud dog is a deterent for a casual thief if no one is home, because they have no idea as to the size of the dog. now a determined thief may or may not break in if they hear a dog barking. at night when everyone is home and in bed, a dog can be your best early warning system that things are not right.

i will also point out there is big difference in a home burglary and a home invasion. a burglary usually takes place when they know that no one is home and are not looking for a confrontation, just your valuables. a home invasion is usually done at night when the homeowners are home and is usually violent and sometimes deadly. these types of criminals are very dangerous as they know the homeowners are home and just really don't care, and the outcome can end up being very bad.

There was a rash of home invasions across the country a few years ago. It used to be like you say, break in the middle of the night when everyone is sleeping and do whatever they want. But then home security systems became affordable to the average person, and people armed them at night. Yes they could still take what they want and do a lot of damage but they were still under a time constraint. So a few years ago they started changing their MO. Instead of in the middle of the night, they were sitting by and waiting on the man of the house to go to work. They'd then break in when the kids and woman of the house were home (many couples work opposing shifts) because a lot of people felt safe during the day because EVERYONE knows that home invasions happen at night.

In answer to the OP's question. If I have clothes on I have a gun on. When at work I don't have it on my person, but it is in my bag not two feet from me.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

axxe55 Likes This