Are you armed when at home? - Page 43
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Are you armed when at home?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 03:19 AM   #421
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Live in large metropolitan suburban town and one is always within reach if the door is breached 410 Pistol Grip with 000 buck by the bedside in addition to the 1911 on the dresser, all within arms reach as I sleep. At least one knife as well. It's a small place that I live, I could have a couple knives in every room, there are only 4 of them. Then there is the camping hatchet, splitting maul and the machete.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:08 AM   #422
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 812 Times on 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithkowitz
Then there is the camping hatchet, splitting maul and the machete.
Reminds me of a time I watched a couple punks and some road rage gone wrong. I was behind some young kids yelling and screaming at an old man in a pickup in front of them. Finally the old guy stopped, opened his door and waited for the two guys to run up on him. He stepped out with a hatchet and looked like he was trying to hit one out of the park. The kid (teen) fell on his back to avoid getting killed and started screaming like a little girl. Funniest thing I ever saw, don't screw with an old man!
Old 10-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #423

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford101

Exactly. I have had plenty of people denounce a bunch of great options( including Glocks) because they don't have a manual safety. Well, it's their loss.
I used to be one of those. Until I got my hands on my m&p45, then I realized that it was the ergonomics and looks that kept away from glock and xds, although I admit they are great weapons. If you have a good holster and keep the damn thing in the holster then there is nothing to worry about.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #424

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGULON View Post
Ok everyone my question then is what condition do you keep your firearm in while you are carrying at home. I stick with condition 3 primarily (mag in without a round in the chamber). Anyone else?
My auto's stay in the drawer here at the homestead, I'm a revolver guy so yes, the chamber is always loaded.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #425

Liked 2050 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

I sleep way too soundly that a loaded weapon would do me any good in a "middle-of-the-night" home intrusion. I have kids in the house as well, and the truth of the matter is, better chance the kids would hurt each other unintentionally (with a loaded weapon) than I'll find myself in a self-defense mode. "Bad guys" don't tend to knock, and a serious bad-guy knows that blitzkrieg tactics will take just about everyone off-guard. (Remember Travis Bickle [Taxi Driver] was on the attack, not defending lol)

If my home ever comes under attack (and I'm awake), I could start loading my 30-06's, 12 gauges and 10/22 (in the case of a squirrel attack lol) pretty darn quick. But keep this in mind, folks....just like it is true that someone who is willing to trade their life with a Presidents' can succeed, us folks without Secret Service protection can fare no better, despite all of the night-stand hand guns or AR's in the world. It's simply a fact of life. Unless you want to booby-trap your house, and your yard, etc, if someone really wants to take you out, and has patience......you're a goner. I can live with that. Don't really LIKE that fact, but like I said, I sleep very soundly

Old 10-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #426

I carry my 4" Judge with me everywhere. When at home its on my night stand, when I leave it goes in the car, and pending on where I go if they don't specify that I can't have a concealed weapon then it goes with me, if not then it stays in my car

Old 10-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #427

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
I sleep way too soundly that a loaded weapon would do me any good in a "middle-of-the-night" home intrusion. I have kids in the house as well, and the truth of the matter is, better chance the kids would hurt each other unintentionally (with a loaded weapon) than I'll find myself in a self-defense mode. "Bad guys" don't tend to knock, and a serious bad-guy knows that blitzkrieg tactics will take just about everyone off-guard. (Remember Travis Bickle [Taxi Driver] was on the attack, not defending lol)

If my home ever comes under attack (and I'm awake), I could start loading my 30-06's, 12 gauges and 10/22 (in the case of a squirrel attack lol) pretty darn quick. But keep this in mind, folks....just like it is true that someone who is willing to trade their life with a Presidents' can succeed, us folks without Secret Service protection can fare no better, despite all of the night-stand hand guns or AR's in the world. It's simply a fact of life. Unless you want to booby-trap your house, and your yard, etc, if someone really wants to take you out, and has patience......you're a goner. I can live with that. Don't really LIKE that fact, but like I said, I sleep very soundly
Good thoughts here. Thanks.
There are so many scenario possibilities - but this view is pretty practical and reasonable.
Casual bad guys versus serious bad guys... Big difference in how they would operate. Your chances against a serious intent bad guy is not very good. The casual - or target of opportunity - bad guy is most likely what we are protecting against. Around the house - probably not much of a threat. But I do often have my back pocket LCP with me - chambered. And have revolvers loaded.
Overkill? Maybe. But the night stand gun I have grabbed on occasion when things go bump in the night outside.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #428

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

1911 Cocked and locked... Always.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #429

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

If you wake me up with that "breaking in" crap, were I you, I'd

be a whole lot more worried about a very pissed off me, rather

than the clinically clean damage some gun would do, by

comparison. I've had a long, crappy day,(that's what working

two jobs is about) and I have to work in the morning...

Last edited by therewolf; 10-10-2012 at 09:03 PM.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #430

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Cc a 4 inch judge u would need a trailer hitch lol