Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Yelling at your attacker

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2007, 07:01 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default yelling at attacker

there was a mall shooting in tacoma washington, where one of the retailers was on his way to do his money drop when a kid came into the mall and opened fire with an assault rifle, as brave as this retailer was, while carrying his concealed weapon, instead of shooting the SOB with the assault rifle who was shooting helpless innocent people, he made the mistake of yelling at the suspect to drop his gun. this being said, the poor retailer ended up being shot with a 7.62 nato round which ripped through him like a can opener. it was a shame that the bravery of this fellow was not sufficient to end the situation, had decisiveness taken precidence, he would have pointed and shot and downed the suspect, who i think is not trying to plead insanity if i remember correctly. point and shoot, if its a scenario where life is actually threatened. the repercusions and consequences wont come into play after, thinking about them beforehand will only get you or someone else killed. they say killing is a hard thing to do well there is a reason for that and too much thinking before has a serious affect on reaction and effectiveness

Old 08-09-2007, 07:30 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
there was a mall shooting in tacoma washington, where one of the retailers was on his way to do his money drop when a kid came into the mall and opened fire with an assault rifle, as brave as this retailer was, while carrying his concealed weapon, instead of shooting the SOB with the assault rifle who was shooting helpless innocent people, he made the mistake of yelling at the suspect to drop his gun. this being said, the poor retailer ended up being shot with a 7.62 nato round which ripped through him like a can opener. it was a shame that the bravery of this fellow was not sufficient to end the situation, had decisiveness taken precidence, he would have pointed and shot and downed the suspect, who i think is not trying to plead insanity if i remember correctly. point and shoot, if its a scenario where life is actually threatened. the repercusions and consequences wont come into play after, thinking about them beforehand will only get you or someone else killed. they say killing is a hard thing to do well there is a reason for that and too much thinking before has a serious affect on reaction and effectiveness
1.) It wasn't 7.62 NATO, it was 7.62x39.

2.) If anyone is saying that yell at someone as opposed to using lethal force, I must have missed it. You yell as part of your drawing process, in addition to moving. This both interrupts their OODA loop, and also gives witnesses an idea that you were in fear of your life and warned the guy prior.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:12 AM   #13

In reference to Spartan's posting if the subject is already firing there is no need to yell or command the subject to stop according to most law enforcement use of force models. Just draw and take em out!! You will be a hero. But as always be careful of your backdrop.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:48 AM   #14

I would yell like STOP or some such. Its a good thing to do in the last seconds of life, yours or his. I think it helps you to focus on the task at hand. And maybe the BG will back off and you can hold your fire.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:41 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I always yell..... Make My Day !! lol

Old 02-14-2008, 10:16 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSilver View Post
Does anyone think that if you were to yell at the top of your lungs in the correct way at an attacker it can give you a psychological edge over them or would it make you lose your nerve and concentration in the situation?
Maybe if you're being attacked by a wimp. If you're being attacked by a street smart "bad dude", you'll probably just get his adrenalin flowing a little more.

Instead of wasting a few seconds yelling, use that time to draw down on him. In a dangerous situation, you need to make good use of every second.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:55 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It's been a hell of a long time since I was in the military, but the only yelling I remember was in hand to hand combat. On the range, we just aimed and pulled the trigger.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:22 AM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Too Fast

Situations develope to fast for all this yelling nonsense. Reaction, instinct, and muscle memory - that's the big three as I see it. Yelling can come before or after, not during the situation.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:00 PM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender View Post
Maybe if you're being attacked by a wimp. If you're being attacked by a street smart "bad dude", you'll probably just get his adrenalin flowing a little more.

Instead of wasting a few seconds yelling, use that time to draw down on him. In a dangerous situation, you need to make good use of every second.
Since I'm not mentally retarded, I can do two things at once, like draw a gun and yell...

Old 02-25-2008, 08:13 AM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_sxt View Post
Since I'm not mentally retarded, I can do two things at once, like draw a gun and yell...
Since I'm not mentally retarded, I wouldn't attempt to yell at him to begin with. The OP asked our opinion on whether yelling at the top of your lungs was useful, and said nothing about drawing a weapon. I told him to forget the yelling and draw his weapon.

Yelling at the top of your lungs while simultaneously drawing your weapon would most likely hurt your own concentration, and get your assailant's adrenalin flowing. Two things you DON't want to do.

Having formerly been in law enforcement--I've never heard of any military entity, police department, SWAT trainer, FBI or individual firearms expert who recommends such foolishness as yelling forcefully while you draw.

If you can point us to one that does, please do.

Closed Thread