Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Xds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 02:11 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nccinstaller View Post
Is the xds gonna have all the usually safetys of a regular xd? like loaded chamber indicator, grip safety, etc
Yes. http://www.xdspistol.com/features-safety.php

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Old 05-10-2012, 02:18 AM   #12

Its got all the safety features that the XD and XDM have but it doesn't have the striker indicator

Old 05-10-2012, 03:16 AM   #13

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I've never understood the striker status indicator! Is there any way to have one in the chamber and the striker NOT be cocked?

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 05-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris
I've never understood the striker status indicator! Is there any way to have one in the chamber and the striker NOT be cocked?
To me it's just a second loaded chamber indicator when the gun is holstered. But yea, your absolutely right.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #15

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
No, but unless I'm totally off base here, all striker fire guns are cocked when there is one in the chamber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbyhawaiian View Post
To me it's just a second loaded chamber indicator when the gun is holstered. But yea, your absolutely right.
Not really, the striker can still be back on an empty chamber. If you are attempting to holster a "safe" gun, where you believe you have dropped the mag and pulled the trigger. The striker indicator gives you tactile feedback as to whether the trigger has actually been pulled and the gun is "fully safe".

For example, in IDPA, if I were to holster my weapon after a course of fire, I should have dropped the mag, cleared the weapon, and pulled the trigger. When I holster my weapon I press down where the Striker indicator to fully seat the gun. This does several things:

1) It ensures that my finger is off the trigger (I can't make the gun go boom)
2) It ensures that I am not depressing the grip saftey (something can't get stuck in the trigger guard and "pull" the trigger upon reholstering)
3) It ensures that I am not in a "striker back" situation (whereby if I actually still had a round in the chamber, I would be in condition 1)

Obviously, if my intent is to carry in condition one (when I conceal carry), then it serves the opposite purpose. It lets me know that I minimally have the striker back (a round in the chamber is on "faith" at that point - if it's in my holster since I cannot see my loaded chamber indicator)

Striker back (in a "safe" holstered situation) is no different that hammer back in the same situation. If someone were walking around on a cold range with a hammer back, they would have to go to the Safe Area and make their weapon safe.

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Last edited by knfxda; 05-10-2012 at 03:15 PM.