Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Would You Present Your Licence?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 03:51 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent
Not sure about the laws in other states but in NC we have an 'obligation to inform'. When approached by a LEO we HAVE to tell him or her we are carrying. With a traffic stop, your CCW is attached to your license plate number so they know before contact is made. If we don't inform, it can lead to all sorts of complications...

If that law was not in place, I'd keep my wordhole shut...
NC law is goofy and poorly written. "When approached or addressed by any law enforcement officer, you must notify"...LEO=ANY person employed or appointed as a full, part time or auxiliary law enforcement officer (LEO), correctional officer, probation/parole officer, (CPS, DMV?) etc...the law does not state NC officers only...so nice. What if an active Russian KGB officer on vacation in NC with one of those tiny european swim suits approaches you for directions to the beach, must you disclose! 😱In NC, if an off duty prison guard working at the local hardware store says hello to you, have you been addressed... Lawyers...and everyone's a leo these days... Child protection, housing inspectors, erosion/pollution control are now carrying badges...even the freaking beach patrol! 😂

Old 06-07-2012, 03:59 AM   #22

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Simple.

If the law requires me to disclose it, yes.

If the law says i don't have to say anything unless directly asked, i'm keeping my mouth shut.

Concealed means just that, nobody needs to know.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:13 AM   #23

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I agree, there's no reason to mention it in just a casual conversation. In Florida it isn't required to inform, just don't lie, haha. I personally have no problem with LEOs knowing, but I know a few sheriffs so I'm not paranoid like some are.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:00 AM   #24

Liked 4422 Times on 2145 Posts
Likes Given: 1312

Simple answer is no. I've had my CCW for 17 years and been pulled over 4 times. 1 Oregon SP AND 3 Washington SP. None of them asked about weapons or asked me to step out of the vehicle.

Had they done either, I would have disclossed but since I was not asked, I figured there was no reason to increase tension.

Tack

Old 06-07-2012, 05:24 AM   #25

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

If your state law requires in a traffic stop situation, I personally wouldn't wanna chance it by not informing them.

Like in that ridiculous YouTube video of that Ohio dude, but his situation could've been avoided by not having your hooker friends hanging around outside your car late at night down sketchy looking roads. I can't imagine any cop would believe you when you say that a known prostitute is your "friend and they needed a ride" story. Put even a legally possessed firearm in the scenario and it's probably not gonna be a pleasant experience haha

Old 06-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #26

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

Yes for real, dont be stupid with who you have around you!

Old 06-08-2012, 07:11 AM   #27

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've been pulled over quite a few times while carrying. I know in VA as soon as they run your tag your flagged as a ccw holder. If its on my person I don't say anything and have never been asked. If its in my console or in my door compatment or a long gun I inform them early on. Always calmly looking them in the eyes with my hands at 10 and 2 . I've been fortunate to live in VA and dealt with professional and respectful LEO's same goes for encounters in WV.this conversation reminds me of getting pulled over on rt. 522 south of Winchester about a month ago. A friend and I stopped by my hunting buddys house to grab a few things Id left the weekend before. These things consisted of a bolt action rifle some tools and what was left of a 12pack from the prior weekend. I was pulled over an open 1/2 gone 12 pack of Budlight between he and I on the bench seat between us with the stock of a rifle sitting on top of it. Neither of us had anything to drink , but must have looked guilty of something. Long story short no freak outs, professional and polite and was sent away with a warning to keep an eye on my speed. I guess what I'm saying is common sense - keep your hands visible including your passengers hands and remain calm and if you live in or visiting one of our 2A states you and you can legally carry

Old 06-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #28

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

MI requires it. As long as the officer is on duty.
I joke about it with the many officers I work with because if I run into them, I have to tell them I am carrying a weapon. It gets old very fast.
I can't link the language of the law right now but I believe it refers to a peace officer in the performance of their official duties. I do remember the prosecutor giving his opinion that if an officer was in uniform, any contact should require notifying the officer. If an officer is in plain clothes but identifies them self as an officer, it would be a good idea to disclose the weapon and assume they are performing official duties.
As an example, an officer I used to work with approached a guy outside a bar and started a conversation. The citizen did not disclose he was carrying a weapon. The officer, in full uniform, was investigating allegations of assault, and threats from his wife, whom had spoken to the officer just minutes before. Once he got a little info from the small talk, he asked the subject if he had a CPL. The subject answered truthfully. Then the officer asked if he was carrying a weapon. The response was "no" which was a lie. The wife ratted him out already so the officer had probable cause for a Terry pat down and found a Glock. He went to jail. While the lie put him in jail, failing to disclose would still have resulted in a ticket.
On a side note, the wife a woman scorned as the husband found her parting at the bar with some other guys. He had not been drinking and nothing would have happened if he had just said initially that he was carrying a weapon.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #29

Here in Ohio you have to present period if approached.
Gimpster

Old 06-13-2012, 04:20 PM   #30

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
Just curious, but if you were confronted by a LEO in a non-enforcement situation, would you present to the LEO that you were a licensed concealed carry holder?

Here's an example. I was working for HP at the time going to client sites to fix computers. One day I was dispatched to a jewelry store that had an onsite LEO. I was carrying and there were no postings to tell me that they didn't allow weapons onsite. As I was performing my work the LEO came up to me and was talking to me about what I was doing and asked me some questions about his home computer. After we talked I left and never said a word to him about the fact that I was a CCW holder and that I was carrying my firearm.

Would you have notified the LEO in that situation or one like it?
In the situation you described no, I would not. However, if I'm approached by a LEO in an official capacity, by law I have a duty to disclose. But in a casual atmosphere, nope.

Big Gay Al
coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
"Of course I carry a gun, you would too if you were called Big Gay Al"