Would You Present Your Licence? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Would You Present Your Licence?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2012, 05:44 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I am 300 miles south of Casper.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:04 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
Just curious, but if you were confronted by a LEO in a non-enforcement situation, would you present to the LEO that you were a licensed concealed carry holder?

Here's an example. I was working for HP at the time going to client sites to fix computers. One day I was dispatched to a jewelry store that had an onsite LEO. I was carrying and there were no postings to tell me that they didn't allow weapons onsite. As I was performing my work the LEO came up to me and was talking to me about what I was doing and asked me some questions about his home computer. After we talked I left and never said a word to him about the fact that I was a CCW holder and that I was carrying my firearm.

Would you have notified the LEO in that situation or one like it?

The answer is simply NO. Two men facing each other talking about kindred subject of interest. Leave it at that.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:55 PM   #13

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Why would you

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 05-31-2012, 04:02 PM   #14

Liked 278 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I would do what a state law dictates. But if stoped or in a check point in any state i will show it as it should come up on the computer.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:29 PM   #15

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

In Texas, your CHL is tied to your driver's license, not your vehicle tags. We are required to inform LEO if they approach us in an official capcity, but the state dropped the penalty for not doing so. Just striking up a conversation would not be considered an official capacity.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:19 AM   #16

NO!!!

I'm not sure where you live but the law in Arkansas states, §5-73-315. Possession of license — Identification of licensee.
(a) Any licensee possessing a valid license issued pursuant to this subchapter may carry a concealed handgun.
(b) The licensee shall:
(1) Carry the license, together with valid identification, at any time when the licensee is carrying a concealed handgun; and
(2) Display both the license and proper identification upon demand by a law enforcement officer.
Otherwise the idea of CCWP is to keep it concealed to the extent that no knowledge (beyond your own) of a weapon exists even to LEO. Once again, your state/local statutes/ordinances dictate the protocol.

"The problems that exist in the world today CANNOT be solved by the level of thinking that created them." ~ A. Einstein

Old 06-06-2012, 12:34 AM   #17

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

Dont laugh, but im going to guess a LEO is a Law Enforcememt Officer??

Old 06-06-2012, 12:38 AM   #18

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockRenegade View Post
Dont laugh, but im going to guess a LEO is a Law Enforcememt Officer??
YUP -
Message too short so i added this

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 06-06-2012, 12:51 AM   #19
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2262 Times on 1222 Posts
Likes Given: 816

No. If it's an enforcement situation and asked for ID, then I'll present. Otherwise, all it would do is increase stress.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 06-06-2012, 12:58 AM   #20
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2658 Times on 1292 Posts
Likes Given: 1314

No I would not have mentioned it. And I am sure you being a computer technician even if he would have detected it being CCW. The conversation would have probably been more likely on the brand and caliber than a permit. I am sure that he would probably have assumed you had a permit due to your occupation and your travels. Not all of us were ego trippin AH's throughout our carrier. And I think they (AH's) are still in the minority in our profession and especialy after you get by the Rookie syndrome! Common sense with the citizens is the key! The moral of the story, treat people how you would expect to be treated! But there was not need to advise you had a CCW unless there was a conversation to that effect.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Polygon Likes This