Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Would You Present Your Licence?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2012, 03:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Default Would You Present Your Licence?

Just curious, but if you were confronted by a LEO in a non-enforcement situation, would you present to the LEO that you were a licensed concealed carry holder?

Here's an example. I was working for HP at the time going to client sites to fix computers. One day I was dispatched to a jewelry store that had an onsite LEO. I was carrying and there were no postings to tell me that they didn't allow weapons onsite. As I was performing my work the LEO came up to me and was talking to me about what I was doing and asked me some questions about his home computer. After we talked I left and never said a word to him about the fact that I was a CCW holder and that I was carrying my firearm.

Would you have notified the LEO in that situation or one like it?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-31-2012, 03:31 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5243 Times on 2734 Posts
Likes Given: 330

Nope. I wouldnt and dont. If im temporarily detained in the course of an officer's ofricial duties i would. Just shootin the breeze no.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

c3shooter Likes This 
Old 05-31-2012, 03:31 AM   #3

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4285

Not sure about the laws in other states but in NC we have an 'obligation to inform'. When approached by a LEO we HAVE to tell him or her we are carrying. With a traffic stop, your CCW is attached to your license plate number so they know before contact is made. If we don't inform, it can lead to all sorts of complications...

If that law was not in place, I'd keep my wordhole shut...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Last edited by vincent; 05-31-2012 at 03:51 AM.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:34 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19790 Times on 11235 Posts
Likes Given: 49869

if you have a CCW permit and are properly concealed and he had no idea, then IMO there isn't any need to. doesn't seem to me that he had any idea if he was questioning you about his home computer!

different states may have different requirements as to when to inform a LEO that you are carrying concealed. in Texas, you are only required to show proof if asked. you do not have to volunteer any irrelevent information unless asked.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:34 AM   #5

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Nope. I wouldnt and dont. If im temporarily detained in the course of an officer's ofricial duties i would. Just shootin the breeze no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
if you have a CCW permit and are properly concealed and he had no idea, then IMO there isn't any need to. doesn't seem to me that he had any idea if he was questioning you about his home computer!

different states may have different requirements as to when to inform a LEO that you are carrying concealed. in Texas, you are only required to show proof if asked. you do not have to volunteer any irrelevent information unless asked.
This is what I assumed, so I kept quite. I did feel a little uncomfortable though. Then again I had just started carrying at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
Not sure about the laws in other states but in NC we have what's called an obligation to inform. When approached by a LEO we HAVE to tell him or her we are carrying. With a traffic stop, your CCW is attached to your license plate number so they know before contact is made. If we don't inform, it can lead to all sorts of complications...
My CCW, my licence, and both my hands are the first things the LEO sees when he approaches the window of my car.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:44 AM   #6

Liked 1653 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 1112

If I speak to an officer in an offical capacity, like an accident or being pulled over, I would inform them. If we were just talking in casual manner I would say nothing.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Polygon Likes This 
Old 05-31-2012, 03:49 AM   #7

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
This is what I assumed, so I kept quite. I did feel a little uncomfortable though. Then again I had just started carrying at the time.

My CCW, my licence, and both my hands are the first things the LEO sees when he approaches the window of my car.
That's never a bad idea even though you have no obligation to inform...see link..

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/utah.pdf

I'm sure you already know this but it never hurts to brush up on the laws...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 05-31-2012, 04:20 AM   #8

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Polygon, a UHP Trooper stopped me for speeding at the Midway Cut Off going into Heber City Ut. I had to inform him as my paper work was under my cocked and locked 1911. He looked at me and looked at my CCW and said I know you. You were my Firearms Inst. in Wyoming. Have a nice day.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:38 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8374 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

Quote:
in Wyoming
Well, sure- but there's only 47 people North of Casper IN Wyoming!

License check, MV accident, some official capacity- I have a pull out section in wallet that holds two cards- my driver's license, my concealed carry license.

Casual encounter (in line at Krispy Kreme, etc) why bring it up?

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:42 AM   #10

Liked 102 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
Just curious, but if you were confronted by a LEO in a non-enforcement situation, would you present to the LEO that you were a licensed concealed carry holder?

Here's an example. I was working for HP at the time going to client sites to fix computers. One day I was dispatched to a jewelry store that had an onsite LEO. I was carrying and there were no postings to tell me that they didn't allow weapons onsite. As I was performing my work the LEO came up to me and was talking to me about what I was doing and asked me some questions about his home computer. After we talked I left and never said a word to him about the fact that I was a CCW holder and that I was carrying my firearm.

Would you have notified the LEO in that situation or one like it?
depends on the laws where you live, some juristictions mandate that you must inform, where as some only require that you show your license to leo upon demand. that is a good question though, best to research that and know for certain the laws, [that is a task unto itself]

edit: add: that is awesome durangokid

Last edited by phildenton; 05-31-2012 at 04:45 AM.