Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Would You Present Your Licence? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/would-you-present-your-licence-65492/)

Polygon 05-31-2012 03:27 AM

Would You Present Your Licence?

Just curious, but if you were confronted by a LEO in a non-enforcement situation, would you present to the LEO that you were a licensed concealed carry holder?

Here's an example. I was working for HP at the time going to client sites to fix computers. One day I was dispatched to a jewelry store that had an onsite LEO. I was carrying and there were no postings to tell me that they didn't allow weapons onsite. As I was performing my work the LEO came up to me and was talking to me about what I was doing and asked me some questions about his home computer. After we talked I left and never said a word to him about the fact that I was a CCW holder and that I was carrying my firearm.

Would you have notified the LEO in that situation or one like it?

JonM 05-31-2012 03:31 AM

Nope. I wouldnt and dont. If im temporarily detained in the course of an officer's ofricial duties i would. Just shootin the breeze no.

vincent 05-31-2012 03:31 AM

Not sure about the laws in other states but in NC we have an 'obligation to inform'. When approached by a LEO we HAVE to tell him or her we are carrying. With a traffic stop, your CCW is attached to your license plate number so they know before contact is made. If we don't inform, it can lead to all sorts of complications...

If that law was not in place, I'd keep my wordhole shut...

Axxe55 05-31-2012 03:34 AM

if you have a CCW permit and are properly concealed and he had no idea, then IMO there isn't any need to. doesn't seem to me that he had any idea if he was questioning you about his home computer!

different states may have different requirements as to when to inform a LEO that you are carrying concealed. in Texas, you are only required to show proof if asked. you do not have to volunteer any irrelevent information unless asked.

Polygon 05-31-2012 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 819920)
Nope. I wouldnt and dont. If im temporarily detained in the course of an officer's ofricial duties i would. Just shootin the breeze no.

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55 (Post 819925)
if you have a CCW permit and are properly concealed and he had no idea, then IMO there isn't any need to. doesn't seem to me that he had any idea if he was questioning you about his home computer!

different states may have different requirements as to when to inform a LEO that you are carrying concealed. in Texas, you are only required to show proof if asked. you do not have to volunteer any irrelevent information unless asked.

This is what I assumed, so I kept quite. I did feel a little uncomfortable though. Then again I had just started carrying at the time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincent (Post 819922)
Not sure about the laws in other states but in NC we have what's called an obligation to inform. When approached by a LEO we HAVE to tell him or her we are carrying. With a traffic stop, your CCW is attached to your license plate number so they know before contact is made. If we don't inform, it can lead to all sorts of complications...

My CCW, my licence, and both my hands are the first things the LEO sees when he approaches the window of my car.

Rick1967 05-31-2012 03:44 AM

If I speak to an officer in an offical capacity, like an accident or being pulled over, I would inform them. If we were just talking in casual manner I would say nothing.

vincent 05-31-2012 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polygon (Post 819927)
This is what I assumed, so I kept quite. I did feel a little uncomfortable though. Then again I had just started carrying at the time.

My CCW, my licence, and both my hands are the first things the LEO sees when he approaches the window of my car.

That's never a bad idea even though you have no obligation to inform...see link..

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/utah.pdf

I'm sure you already know this but it never hurts to brush up on the laws...:cool:

Durangokid 05-31-2012 04:20 AM

Polygon, a UHP Trooper stopped me for speeding at the Midway Cut Off going into Heber City Ut. I had to inform him as my paper work was under my cocked and locked 1911. He looked at me and looked at my CCW and said I know you. You were my Firearms Inst. in Wyoming. Have a nice day.:)

c3shooter 05-31-2012 04:38 AM

Quote:

in Wyoming
Well, sure- but there's only 47 people North of Casper IN Wyoming! :p

License check, MV accident, some official capacity- I have a pull out section in wallet that holds two cards- my driver's license, my concealed carry license.

Casual encounter (in line at Krispy Kreme, etc) why bring it up?

phildenton 05-31-2012 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polygon (Post 819910)
Just curious, but if you were confronted by a LEO in a non-enforcement situation, would you present to the LEO that you were a licensed concealed carry holder?

Here's an example. I was working for HP at the time going to client sites to fix computers. One day I was dispatched to a jewelry store that had an onsite LEO. I was carrying and there were no postings to tell me that they didn't allow weapons onsite. As I was performing my work the LEO came up to me and was talking to me about what I was doing and asked me some questions about his home computer. After we talked I left and never said a word to him about the fact that I was a CCW holder and that I was carrying my firearm.

Would you have notified the LEO in that situation or one like it?

depends on the laws where you live, some juristictions mandate that you must inform, where as some only require that you show your license to leo upon demand. that is a good question though, best to research that and know for certain the laws, [that is a task unto itself]

edit: add: that is awesome durangokid