Would you open carry if you could? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Would you open carry if you could?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 03:46 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 54

The average bad guy isn't willing to mess with someone who obviously has a gun. But the bad guy who IS willing is now going to be PREPARED to facea someone with a gun.

So it seems to me that if you OC, you'd be less likely to have an encounter with a BG, but if you do have one, it's going to be much worse.

One argument I have read in favor of open carry, though, is that it could help raise awareness and familiarity among those who don't carry. If people are accumstomed to seeing others carrying, it won't be a big deal.

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
William S. Burroughs

Old 08-17-2009, 04:31 AM   #22
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Why spoil the surprise
If you can carry consealed then do it, Imagine the shock on the BG face right before you put a hole in it

Consider it like the money in you wallet, Would you paste that money to you so everyone knew how much you had? No you wouldn't you keep it in your wallet, easy access to you but no one knows whats in there! Same goes for your firearm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:37 AM   #23
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by utf59 View Post
The average bad guy isn't willing to mess with someone who obviously has a gun. But the bad guy who IS willing is now going to be PREPARED to facea someone with a gun.

So it seems to me that if you OC, you'd be less likely to have an encounter with a BG, but if you do have one, it's going to be much worse.

One argument I have read in favor of open carry, though, is that it could help raise awareness and familiarity among those who don't carry. If people are accumstomed to seeing others carrying, it won't be a big deal.
A BG that see you open carry knows you are a threat and you will be the first they take out. Second a BG with out a firarm that see your open carry now knows where to get a pistol. Just needs a plan to take you down.

Again don't ruine the surprise, carry consealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:21 PM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Three little words

I live in Indiana and I've had a CCW permit for years. I've had some issues however with the State of Indiana's "permission" to carry. I'm starting to realize that the state has no right to restrict, impede or INFRINGE on a right that is guaranteed by the US Constitution. In other words, the right does not belong to the state and therefore it can't give or grant the right to us.
Three little words are where it all hangs (in my opinion).
Keep
Bear
Infringed

"Keep" means to own or have in one's complete control.

"Bear" means to carry. (they came bearing gifts, the burden that I bear)

"Infringed" means to impede or restrict.

My CCW just ran out. I'm considering openly carrying to be the lamb willing to take this to the supreme court. (I just can't afford it myself).
It's my opinion that the constitution was written so that the average person with adequate education could understand and live by it. After all, it was written for of and by the people.
We MUST set this in stone before the new administration has a chance to appoint any other activist SC Judges. The DC gun ban was only overturned by one vote.
As I see it, the 2nd amendment IS MY RIGHT TO CARRY.
PLEASE SOMEONE, tell me where I'm wrong in this. Not your opinion about how evil guns are or if it's applicable to our society today, but what the constitution says.
What's next? A permit to speak freely? A permit to live? A permit to liberty? They've already taken our right to own property in the state. (if you don't pay your property tax, they take your home, so who really owns it?).

ok ... I'll settle down now.

"A truly sovereign nation is a nation made up of truly sovereign individuals."
-Kevin Plank

Old 08-25-2009, 12:30 AM   #25

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Get Over It!!

OK Shallnotbe. You have made your point==First 2 post almost identical in theme and topic. Get your Lifetime Permit, and let it go. You MIGHT start reading some of the post from the tough states to get permits,and carry, and count your blessings, for what we have here in Indiana!! Check out post from:NY,NJ,Mass.,Ill., Wis.,Cal.,D.C., and a few others, and go down and thank Our Governor for allowing us to carry a firearm, without too many regulations.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:06 AM   #26

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

It's like deja-vu...all over again!

Old 08-25-2009, 02:40 AM   #27

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I think Open Carry is an invitation for trouble. Not only does it attract unwanted attention, but now you must be considerably more aware of your surroundings. Imagine being in a tightly packed line outside a movie theater with your handgun in plain sight and within easy reach. I'm not Chuck Norris, so I prefer to let my handgun defend me instead of me defending my handgun. I prefer to be in full control at all times, and open carry unneccesarily elevates the awareness and stress levels.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 08-25-2009 at 02:42 AM.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:52 AM   #28

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Hows that??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
It's like deja-vu...all over again!
I must have missed something Goju. By the way-Your family feeling better??

Old 08-25-2009, 02:52 AM   #29

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I think we should live at a level of awareness as if we were open carrying anyway.

I would open carry, but I'd make sure I have a secure holster.

The mp's at ft.polk carry triple lock holsters and some have a hard time drawing at all.

1. push down and in

2. pull/tilt backwards

3. pull directly out

Takes some practice.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:05 AM   #30
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10748 Times on 4650 Posts
Likes Given: 1755

Well, I DID open carry for several years. LEO and US Army.

And yes, it is LEGAL where I live. And no, I don't- with the exception of deer hunting with a LARGE .357 revolver.

Why would I give a bad guy an advantage by warning him that the old guy with gray hair is going to shoot his sorry butt to pieces? Or, in words of Gomer Pyle- "Sur-prise Sur-prise Sur-prise !"

(and the first one of you youngsters that has to ask who Gomer Pyle was, I'm gonna call your Momma and tell her you are playing on the computer again! )