Would you open carry if you could? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Would you open carry if you could?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2009, 11:52 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

WOW, you guys are a breath of fresh air when I read your responses. Nice to read both sides of an debate without people getting nasty like they do on the Indiana Gun Owners Forum. I think I am going to enjoy this place.

Vendor www.richards-guns.com

Old 08-15-2009, 12:18 AM   #12

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
Preferrably, the first time I want a threat to know that I'm packing is when they feel the distinctive feeling that only a 230 grain will give when it's obliterating the chest cavity at 900 fps.
OH YES!! Speak it, Speak it!!

JD

Old 08-15-2009, 12:20 AM   #13

No personal experience on this subject. But when my parents lived in NM, open carry was not only allowed, but preferred. Everyone carried a pistol, mostly for snake killing. But there was never any trouble since you knew everyone was carrying. I figure most people these days perfer to carry concealed because it's more "civilized" There, but not advertised. The guy carrying open and not wearing a badge tends to make people uncomfortable.

Last edited by Kain; 08-15-2009 at 12:21 AM. Reason: grammar error

Old 08-15-2009, 12:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post

However, you come running up into the mall food court clack-clacking the charging handle back on your AK while I am eating my chinese food and it's going to be your ass.

JD
Have you read The Teeth of the Tiger? Just curious as this seemed vaguely familiar and I finally remembered that it resembles a scene in that novel. Not Clancy's best work though.

"I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities he excites among his opponents." - Winston Churchill

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton

Old 08-15-2009, 04:29 AM   #15

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Never expose a tactical advantage. Surprise is always the best counter-action. The look on one's face after being surprised..........priceless!

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-15-2009, 01:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
Both have their advantages, however I wouldnt object to OC. I belive OC would act as a deterent to a BG if they KNOW your packin heat! In their shoes, Id find someone who I thought might not being carrying, not someone I know is carrying. Firearms are a deterent first, and what better way to deter then to make it plain to see. There was a reason the F-22 recived so much publisity (before obama called them down from the sky) and that reason was to make clear the power our nation wielded.
I think a national defense is different from individual protection. Everyone knows the USA is armed and is basically "open carry" only, especially on such planes as the F22. And every other country is in the same boat. The advantage is having more than the others (and everyone knows this) so they leave you alone. Stealth weaponry here is also helpful. Keep 'em wondering what ELSE you might have...

The great thing about individual CC is that if it's implemented and enough people do it, then the bad guys don't know where it's "OK" and don't know how many good guys are packing in a given place, so THAT is the deterrent. When I got my CC recently, it was because I wanted to be one of the number of good guys doing the deterring.

Also - in my state (VA), OC (or CC) can be prohibited if specifically stated/requested by the property owner. So for example an OC person may make a store owner nervous, who would then have every right to ask you to leave, whereas with CC they would never know.

- Mossberg 500 12G Tactical: Adjustable stock + pistol grip
- Springfield XD-45ACP, 4" Service Model

Still don't know nuthin', but I'm a-learnin!

Last edited by Succinct; 08-15-2009 at 01:43 PM.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:05 AM   #17

I would never even consider open carry But just one more my preference
I always have my 45acp a tactical folder my trusty ol timer trapper
and sometimes a backup .380
but the only thing ever visable is the clip on the folder if that if I need a knife to cut somthing the trapper comes out

to me open carry unless at a range
draws too much attention
and
causes too much ammo for anti gun hackers
good gun sense go's along ways

Old 08-17-2009, 01:20 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

At one time I would have considered oc better, but in this day and age cc would be better. In my county, Spit you know where that is, one town has a no open carry ordinace and the law would enforce it in a minute. Charge going armed to the terror of the populace. Rest of the county and the other large town don't have that ordance. But too thickly populated.

SOUTHERN BORN CONSERVATIVE REDNECK AND VERY PROUD OF IT

ARMY 1970-1971 MP SGT Nam
Army 1976-1994 MP/CID Agent 1SG

Old 08-17-2009, 01:36 AM   #19

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would not open carry all of the time. However, I think discreetly, but openly, wearing a black hip holster and a black pistol on my evening dog walk would be a pretty good thing.

My Motto: Vanquish Fear & Panic!
---------------------------------
My blog: GunGator's Gun Blog

Old 08-17-2009, 01:46 AM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

It is not illegal in my area to "open carry" in public but I would not choose to carry in that manner. I have open carried in the woods but that is the only exception.