Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Would you open carry if you could?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2009, 02:38 AM   #101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
I waited for a while to weigh in on this one as nothing will have people at each other's throats faster than OC vs CC. Here in GA, either is legal IF you have a Georgia Firearms License (what we call a permit). I know folks that regularly carry both ways and I have as well.

Generally, OC is pretty much ignored here as it's fairly common. We also have an EXTREMELY active 2A group in the state that can and does file suit when necessary. This group, georgiacarry.org, recently held it's first convention at a posh hotel in North Atlanta - and all of us attending OC'd for the weekend. Even with every candidate for governor present - no news crews even covered the event. I shook hands with all the candidates at one of the seminars while a S&W 686 snub was in a Bianchi crossdraw on my belt.

I say, to each their own and I do generally CC.

I'm sorry but I have a real problem with WDB's contention that he'll call the cops on every OC'er he sees. Recent federal rulings have upheld that merely carrying a gun DOES NOT give LEOs the right to stop or detain a citizen. How many lawsuits (and cash awards) is it going to take before people just use common sense?
I have to agree with you NGIB about WDB. If he is not careful someone who is very smart can use his crying wolf to take him to court for harressment. Especially if he starts a paper trail by calling the cops all the time "he sees someone OC'ing then, hanging around till the LEO's were finished talking to them." That could also be considered stalking, if he follows you around until the LEO's get there. Just my 2 cents.

brolin_1911a1, makes a good case also for OC. Some people just can not afford it. Here in Az it is a total of $110 to get a CCW. If you stop and think about it, how much gas is that? Food? Electric bill? Kids school lunches? I know how far $110 will go, I got my CCW when I was working full time, now that my paycheck was cut by 60% I would OC if I did not have my CCW.

Old 10-30-2009, 03:30 AM   #102
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
WDB Posted:

Hey superhero, I got a question.

What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty? If it's absolutely legal to open carry, why would you report that person to the LEOs? They have done nothing wrong. I gotta say it. You sound alot like some anti-2nd amendment folks that are in government right now.

I don't like to open carry myself (I think it's tactically unsound), but if a citizen wishes to open carry in a legal manner, that is his/her right as given by the 2nd Amendment. It's not up to you to question their right.
"Supperhero"? That is insulting at best and I expect payack for bumping your peice of crap gun thread. Why would I report a person open carry in a mall? Simple I don't know if they are a threat or just enjoying there 2A, not my place to question them but my responsibilty to report what might be a threat. TRULY innocent until proven guilty and if innocent the the LEO's will let them go, if not a tragic event stopped.

Bust my balls all you want, but be honest you would do exactly the same thing. Imagine your in a mall and a guy walks in with a AK are you going to just say "he's just expressing his 2A" or are you going to go on the deffensive and call 911? Yes the Ak is different than a pistol on the hip all the same the threat is still the same and open carry includes the full range of leagal firearms. It's a diffent world brother and you can question how I would react but I would rather report an honest open carry person than give a blind eye to the guy shoots several inocent people.

Sgt Miller tell me where I'm wrong? If you want to carry in public carry consealed legally, if you open carry expect people to report a person with a firearm.

Supperhero? I think you need to appoligize for that

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Last edited by WDB; 10-30-2009 at 03:49 AM.

Old 10-30-2009, 03:37 AM   #103

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Nah,
Expect to be reported (especially w/ an assault rifle) AT THE VERY LEAST!!! Colorado is open carry, BUT if someone feels threatened or even uncomfortable, they can. . . and usually will ask you to put "it" away (or not and call). If need be they can still call the cops and you will (and should) have to explain yourself.

Do what you have to do. Nothing more.

Old 10-30-2009, 03:46 AM   #104
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
I waited for a while to weigh in on this one as nothing will have people at each other's throats faster than OC vs CC. Here in GA, either is legal IF you have a Georgia Firearms License (what we call a permit). I know folks that regularly carry both ways and I have as well.

Generally, OC is pretty much ignored here as it's fairly common. We also have an EXTREMELY active 2A group in the state that can and does file suit when necessary. This group, georgiacarry.org, recently held it's first convention at a posh hotel in North Atlanta - and all of us attending OC'd for the weekend. Even with every candidate for governor present - no news crews even covered the event. I shook hands with all the candidates at one of the seminars while a S&W 686 snub was in a Bianchi crossdraw on my belt.

I say, to each their own and I do generally CC.

I'm sorry but I have a real problem with WDB's contention that he'll call the cops on every OC'er he sees. Recent federal rulings have upheld that merely carrying a gun DOES NOT give LEOs the right to stop or detain a citizen. How many lawsuits (and cash awards) is it going to take before people just use common sense?
Much respect NGIB, it might be that simple, I live in a metro area and a firearm in open view is considered a threat. While it is legal it isn't often done. If more carried open then it may not be an issue but that isn't for me to figure out. If I see a gun hanging out of the baggy azz pants on a guy at the local mall I'm calling 911. When I'm up North hunting and see a guy with a gun on his hip at the local store not so much an issue.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

Old 10-30-2009, 03:58 AM   #105

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Much respect NGIB, it might be that simple, I live in a metro area and a firearm in open view is considered a threat. While it is legal it isn't often done. If more carried open then it may not be an issue but that isn't for me to figure out. If I see a gun hanging out of the baggy azz pants on a guy at the local mall I'm calling 911. When I'm up North hunting and see a guy with a gun on his hip at the local store not so much an issue.
When have criminals ever been known to openly carry or even use a holster?

Besides simply carrying a holstered firearm does NOT give the police the reasonable suspicion they need to conduct a terry stop. And if they do they will lose in court. It's really that simple.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:08 AM   #106
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd8488 View Post
When have criminals ever been known to openly carry or even use a holster?

Besides simply carrying a holstered firearm does NOT give the police the reasonable suspicion they need to conduct a terry stop. And if they do they will lose in court. It's really that simple.
Read the news and know how many walked into a public place with firearms in view and did harm. I'm not against open carry but consider the place "if it doesn't fit" then report.

Quote:

Old 10-30-2009, 05:01 AM   #107

Too have the choice would be cool, but would probably still carry concealed, except where I all ready OC. I don’t like to stand out in a crowd, but I would never abject to choice. My thought with CC is it’s another tool. H*ll I cant even walk out of a Publix with out security checking me for stolen meat as it is, they say there no profiling my A*ss. Long haired old hippy type looking guy like me ,after 26 years at same job ( not Publix) they finally gave up on p*ss testing me. I bring up Publix because the called my corporate, saying I Stolid meat from them had me on video, When they called the office in NY they described me as a big long haired, ear pierced, tattoo biker, didn’t stop me that day just got # off my truck and called NY, later learned from there management that I was to intimidating to stop (some security, 3 off them) they never had me on tape! Sh*t if I was OC they prob. would have had swat outside. Some one was steeling meat from store, that was true, but prob. Some well dressed guy, but the pick the scooter trash to pin it on! Yea right no profiling, they put me through hell for 3 weeks. Had 3 Biker clubs wanting to get me lawyer, make me there poster guy. I know off topic but if I could Oc that would be the first place I visit because I still get those looks from them but now with a little scare in there eye’s. I good thing now though, I get a crate of meat from them about every 3 months, I think there still scared I’ll bring a law suit up. I think everyone should have the right to OC, But with all the haters out there, they r bond to make trouble for you, the ones who if its not there love or hobby, or feel a cop is always around the corner. I would never wish ill will on anyone but wait till there little girl is raped, house broken into, husband beat at ATM, see if they can live with them self after they realize they did nothing but count on a home alarm and there golf club to protect there love one’s, not me! but they will still keep turning a blind eye until they wake up ,when something bad happens to them and that will be to late, that when they’ll buy a gun and use it on themselves. It’s not a nice world out there. So open carry yea should be your right if you prefer too.
But what do we know? Who are we the idiots with are eyes open that care more for are families, then the eyes closed crowed that spend there time at the county offices screaming about a pot hole in the Rd, or hope they can get another piece of property trying to get land rezoned for a new golf course,. Look at the real word the guy that will do anything to get you money for crack, the rapist, car jacker, murder. Hell maybe I’m just on LSD and the thing I see, hear on TV and read in news paper really are not happening. Who am I a guy that some may say is on crack, but my family is going to be safe. Those that want to live will live no insult to LEO but I want them coming to me and my family to pop up the BG not us. Sorry I know rambling, but just seen too much sh*t happen to good people lately. Have carried for many years that’s my right and I would defend the rights of the people to my last breath. OC, CC and the funny thing is I would take a bullet for the eyes closed club too.

Again sorry if wrong form, I’m out of touch, Twisted

Old 10-30-2009, 07:00 PM   #108

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Twisted, don't feel sorry as there are a great many who feel the same way. I consider myself as a blacksheep and wear that as a badge of honor because it puts me out of being the common sheeple, of following the herd to a sure useless death.

Last edited by Viking; 10-30-2009 at 07:07 PM.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:49 AM   #109

over here in AZ anybody that does not have a felony on record can open carry, although you do not see many at all. before i got my ccw i did open carry and at times did get the "LOOK" and as we know it is not our intentions to make anybody feel uncomfortable but that is the nature of the beast. And on another note if you are carrying open you should have some type of self defense and gun control training for those Bad Guys that think you have a nice gun that they may want.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:25 AM   #110
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

WDB is correct. Just because you CAN open carry, doesn't mean you should... unless you LIKE being stopped & questioned by LEO's. Because that's precisely whats going to happen in public places.

I conceal carry, and I haven't EVER been stopped and questioned. If people don't see it... they don't whine about it...