Would you open carry if you could?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Would you open carry if you could?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2009, 02:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Would you open carry if you could?

In the state of Indiana you have the right to open carry but most people don't for a variety of reasons. On the Indiana forum I belong to we have some fierce debates over this subject. I am of the opinion why make people uncomfortable by walking around the local mall with a Glock strapped to your side because you can. It makes the non gun people uncomfortable and we can CC and get the same results of personal protection if it is ever needed. I know a lot of states do not allow for outside carry and I was wondering how many forum members open carry right now where it is allowed and how many would if it was allowed in your state?

Vendor www.richards-guns.com

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-14-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Here in NC there are so many laws on where you can open carry and where you can't. If I could open carry, I would. If the fact that I'm carrying a gun makes you nervous, that's your problem. Who would you try to rob...the guy with a 45 in a drop leg(me) or the guy shying away from me because he just saw the gun?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-14-2009, 05:16 PM   #3
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 700 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 729

I would not. Personal preference but I prefer having my firearm concealed.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:41 PM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My position as well notdku!! I like the advantage of suprise.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:52 PM   #5

No sir, I wouldn't.
Looking at it from the bad guys point of view.... I see an openly armed individual, I take you out first and don't let you have any chance of using your weapon.
I also like the element of surprise in my favor.

CZ PCR
Vietnam Vet & former LEO

Old 08-14-2009, 07:54 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would never carry open as it would make me uncomfortable and bring unwanted attention. Besides, I have a legal CCW.

Just my opinion.

OC

"magbum"

Old 08-14-2009, 07:56 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I can open carry in my state, and while it is my right, I prefer to keep my weapon hidden.

Then again, I kind of think like a paranoid bad guy anyways - as expressed, if someone is set on doing something, especially a spree killer who is looking for suicide by cop anyways, he is going to be looking to put rounds into me before I know what he is up too.

However, you come running up into the mall food court clack-clacking the charging handle back on your AK while I am eating my chinese food and it's going to be your ass.

JD

Old 08-14-2009, 08:16 PM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Preferrably, the first time I want a threat to know that I'm packing is when they feel the distinctive feeling that only a 230 grain will give when it's obliterating the chest cavity at 900 fps.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:54 PM   #9

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Both have their advantages, however I wouldnt object to OC. I belive OC would act as a deterent to a BG if they KNOW your packin heat! In their shoes, Id find someone who I thought might not being carrying, not someone I know is carrying. Firearms are a deterent first, and what better way to deter then to make it plain to see. There was a reason the F-22 recived so much publisity (before obama called them down from the sky) and that reason was to make clear the power our nation wielded.

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 08-14-2009, 10:22 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If I could open carry, I would not, but that would be for my own reason to choose not to, why advertise and be first target for any planned aggression?

Layton