Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Would you open carry if you could? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/would-you-open-carry-if-you-could-16908/)

michiana 08-14-2009 01:40 PM

Would you open carry if you could?

In the state of Indiana you have the right to open carry but most people don't for a variety of reasons. On the Indiana forum I belong to we have some fierce debates over this subject. I am of the opinion why make people uncomfortable by walking around the local mall with a Glock strapped to your side because you can. It makes the non gun people uncomfortable and we can CC and get the same results of personal protection if it is ever needed. I know a lot of states do not allow for outside carry and I was wondering how many forum members open carry right now where it is allowed and how many would if it was allowed in your state?

spittinfire 08-14-2009 01:56 PM

Here in NC there are so many laws on where you can open carry and where you can't. If I could open carry, I would. If the fact that I'm carrying a gun makes you nervous, that's your problem. Who would you try to rob...the guy with a 45 in a drop leg(me) or the guy shying away from me because he just saw the gun?

notdku 08-14-2009 04:16 PM

I would not. Personal preference but I prefer having my firearm concealed.

dunerunner 08-14-2009 04:41 PM

My position as well notdku!! I like the advantage of suprise.

Keech 08-14-2009 06:52 PM

No sir, I wouldn't.
Looking at it from the bad guys point of view.... I see an openly armed individual, I take you out first and don't let you have any chance of using your weapon.
I also like the element of surprise in my favor.

OC357 08-14-2009 06:54 PM

I would never carry open as it would make me uncomfortable and bring unwanted attention. Besides, I have a legal CCW.

Just my opinion.

OC

Dillinger 08-14-2009 06:56 PM

I can open carry in my state, and while it is my right, I prefer to keep my weapon hidden.

Then again, I kind of think like a paranoid bad guy anyways - as expressed, if someone is set on doing something, especially a spree killer who is looking for suicide by cop anyways, he is going to be looking to put rounds into me before I know what he is up too.

However, you come running up into the mall food court clack-clacking the charging handle back on your AK while I am eating my chinese food and it's going to be your ass. :p

JD

SGT-MILLER 08-14-2009 07:16 PM

Preferrably, the first time I want a threat to know that I'm packing is when they feel the distinctive feeling that only a 230 grain will give when it's obliterating the chest cavity at 900 fps.

BigByrd47119 08-14-2009 08:54 PM

Both have their advantages, however I wouldnt object to OC. I belive OC would act as a deterent to a BG if they KNOW your packin heat! In their shoes, Id find someone who I thought might not being carrying, not someone I know is carrying. Firearms are a deterent first, and what better way to deter then to make it plain to see. There was a reason the F-22 recived so much publisity (before obama called them down from the sky) and that reason was to make clear the power our nation wielded.

layton 08-14-2009 09:22 PM

If I could open carry, I would not, but that would be for my own reason to choose not to, why advertise and be first target for any planned aggression?

Layton