Would you have shot this guy? - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Would you have shot this guy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2009, 04:56 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

In todays lawyer controlled world you cannot afford to be "psychic" in a shootout.

Just because he had a gun on him, maybe even his hand on it, you don't have the legal right anymore to shoot someone in the back.

Most left wing states today hardly allow you to defend yourself unless you are allready being shot at.

Something to think about.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:00 AM   #12

You can see the gun in his hand when he goes down. I think it was a jusitfied shooting. He shouldnt have reached for that pistol.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:48 PM   #13

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

I think in a real situation, most all of the time, you will not have a backup covering your 6, that close. If it would have been just the first LEO facing the perp, I think he would have had to wait just long enough to see, recognize a gun and shoot in defense. The LEO is already on target and would have the advantage. The perp did have a gun and was intended on using it, therefore, that would have been a justified shooting IMO.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-14-2009, 04:25 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2738 Times on 1434 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1911 View Post
In todays lawyer controlled world you cannot afford to be "psychic" in a shootout.

Just because he had a gun on him, maybe even his hand on it, you don't have the legal right anymore to shoot someone in the back.

Most left wing states today hardly allow you to defend yourself unless you are allready being shot at.

Something to think about.
Back, Front. Does not matter one bit. The SCOTUS has NEVER said you have to be shot at first. One quote from a Justice "Why is it Police Officers always seem to RETURN fire?".

You absolutely do not have to let him fire the first shot. You absolutely do not have to let him draw his weapon and or point it at you. An Officer (and a civilian in most states) can use deadly force to protect a third person. The Officer that fired the shots was clearly shooting in defense of the other Officer.

GOOD SHOOT in any book!

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-14-2009, 04:52 PM   #15

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

As the officer from the point of view of the camera, I would not have shot when the first officer ( who was behind the subject ) did.

The second, cover officer, announced gun, had a clear angle and that was a good shoot.

I am 100% with Robo on this one.

The first time I watched it, I did see his left hand straying, but I did not see the gun until after I read the text and watched it again. I did hear the second officer announce "GUN!" and that would have been enough for me.

Training video or not, that is a powrful piece of video and it needs to be viewed by everyone who carries.

Excellent Post!!

JD

Old 07-14-2009, 04:57 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Not to get tooo OT, but this is an example of the reason you should keep your hands extremely visible when dealing with a LEO. The LEO might not be aware your butt is itching.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:09 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Back, Front. Does not matter one bit. The SCOTUS has NEVER said you have to be shot at first. One quote from a Justice "Why is it Police Officers always seem to RETURN fire?".

You absolutely do not have to let him fire the first shot. You absolutely do not have to let him draw his weapon and or point it at you. An Officer (and a civilian in most states) can use deadly force to protect a third person. The Officer that fired the shots was clearly shooting in defense of the other Officer.

GOOD SHOOT in any book!
As someone who had a step dad that worked as a career L.E.O. in a major west coast city until he retired, I can tell you the average Jo-armchair-commando doesn't have a clue the legal hell you go through after a shooting, deadly or not. As many experts will tell you, "every bullet has a lawyer attached to it".

You don't have to let anybody do anything robocop, you could just walk up to anyone and put a bullet in their head,....doesn't mean it will legaly hold up in court just because you think you did it to save your butt.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:16 AM   #18

Training video or not....it shows the keen instincts & eyes
that an officer has to have to survive on the streets.
I watched the video several times.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:56 AM   #19

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

DEFINITELY a training video...cop or actor closest to camera (with the berretta) was way to calm walking away from camera..? it was a good train vid either way...& it was over as soon as it started...dem guys wasnt messing around..it would have been great if obama had been riding by in his limo & saw this taking place

Old 07-15-2009, 06:03 AM   #20

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

best way to disarm a perp..if you dont have a gun...talk about bringing a knife to a car fight!