Would you guys carry at work if getting caught would get you fired? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Would you guys carry at work if getting caught would get you fired?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2011, 09:19 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

I am intimate with my boss (wife), so she doen't mind if I carry at work.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 03-28-2011, 09:48 PM   #12

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

My (parent) company has a strict "No Weapons" legal description in the Company Handbook. Our company has to abide by the "No Weapons" policy as we owned by the parent company.

My boss is also one of the biggest hunters and shooters in the whole company.

Carrying at work COULD lead me to losing my job if things ever went the wrong way.

However there are times when we are pre-scouting a job that runs through the woods, or off a logging trail, in the middle of nowhere.

The last time I was out with my boss looking at a line we saw bear tracks. He went to the truck and pulled his pistol out of his glovebox and looked at me like "Well??"

I pulled mine from my normal, ordinary looking backpack and we both finished our adventure without incident.

I think the question is not whether or if, it's who knows if you decide to do so.

If no one knows, and a tree falls on Justin Bieber.... no, wait, that's not what I meant

Old 03-28-2011, 10:04 PM   #13

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

It's simple really. Is the need for you to carry at work worth potentially losing your job - simple yes or no question. If you choose to carry, KEEP QUIET AND TELL NOBODY - EVER!

The reason I emphasize this is I had an acquaintance in your situation and he mentioned to a friend at work that he carried. Later, he and the friend had an argument and the "friend" dropped a dime on him and he did lose his job...

Old 03-28-2011, 10:22 PM   #14

Liked 1416 Times on 838 Posts
Likes Given: 437

Normally I would say no I wouldn't but there would be a few exceptions and JD's example is one of them. If you work out in the woods or other isolated areas with potential danger from people and animals, I would consider it at that point.

My uncle works for a gas company and goes out surveying in the backwoods of WV. He said he carries to fit in and to be able to scare away animals. I would carry as well if I were in his shoes.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:27 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

When i worked at the tax commission, the revenue agents (had to collect frequently in the boonies) were expressly told NOT to carry at work. Almost every one of them had something in the dash or pocket. It was my understanding that if the noodle-kneed bosses ever got in a pinch over one of the revenue agents putting their pistol to use, nobody had any illusions about keeping their job. Of course, looking for a new job is pretty tough when you are dead in a bean field somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
The reason I emphasize this is I had an acquaintance in your situation and he mentioned to a friend at work that he carried. Later, he and the friend had an argument and the "friend" dropped a dime on him and he did lose his job...
What a little bitch of a snitch! I hope he got some stitches.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:57 PM   #16

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Oh yeah i definitely wouldnt tell anyone. Mostly just worried about being made by some random stroke of unluckiness.

Yeah in any of your situations i think I definitely would. However i do not feel in as uch danger just being in the building as i would having to be out and about. I also still can and would keep a weapon my car. The main concern lies with keeping it directly on my person while on the clock and on the premises.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:11 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 983 Times on 614 Posts
Likes Given: 1876

My employer has an explicit "No guns on the premises" policy. It extended to the company-owned parking lot until last year, when Oklahoma passed a law that an employer could not prohibit an employee from having a firearm in the employee's car even in the employer's parking lot. So my employer put a clause excepting their parking lots from that policy in the handbook, in the three states in which the company operates that have such laws on the books.
My supervisor knows I recently obtained my CCW, and she has even mentioned that her husband has been thinking about getting his. But, I leave my carry gun in the locked glovebox while I'm in the building, as I have a good job and would like to keep it. There is security around, the lot is well lit (except one night in January when a stray cat got into a power substation and shorted out Downtown), and nobody picks a Subaru to break into anyway, not when there's plenty of Luxury cars and SUVs in the lot beside mine.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:46 AM   #18

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I brought this up today in a casual conversation with a couple of my coworkers and my boss. I explained my reasoning, trying hard to drive home the point that I would never try to be a hero at the first sign of trouble. We have safety protocols when entering and leaving, but I explained what I explained above about if someone gets us in there with a gun and tries to rape one of the girls (my boss and one of the present coworkers is female), that at that point I would be starting to look for a tactical advantage to stop them. I also asked my boss if she thought I would get fired if I ever got caught carrying, and she actually just said she would rather not ever know.

So, I did basically get thumbs up from all the parties after they understood that I am not out to play cowboy and would instead appreciate me having the ability to take action in such worst-case scenarios.

Still, that all said, I am still pretty leary about it. I think what I'll do for now is just wait a while and see if I am comfortable with just leaving my firearm in the car while at work. I will still have my tactical flashlight and 4" folder that could still be used in a pinch if I have the element of surprise (which I would likely wait for anyways if I was only armed with a pocket pistol anyways). If I ultimately decide I just feel too vulnerable, I will pick up something to carry. If not, I'll be glad I saved the money on something I didn't really need in the first place.

Thanks for the opinions, guys (and gal)!

Old 03-29-2011, 02:48 AM   #19

Liked 245 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I show up to work with my personal sidearm, which gets locked in a traffic control lockbox, then I get issued another sidearm. I have the Armory about 15 feet from my desk, with multiple AR15s, shotguns, gas guns, chemical agents, etc....
Ya, I don't get fired for having a gun on this duty post.
You can get another job, You can't get another you.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:54 AM   #20
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well expressed already you don't want to be fired for packing at work, it will be difficult to explain in future interviews. My employer doesn't have a no gun policy but I leave my CC in the car when at work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.