Would you guys carry at work if getting caught would get you fired?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Would you guys carry at work if getting caught would get you fired?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Would you guys carry at work if getting caught would get you fired?

I work at a bank. It is not illegal to carry here, and it is not posted and there is no specific rule Im aware of that forbids it, but given the general banking attitude of "do whatever they ask and let them leave," it is obviously frowned upon. To be clear, I do NOT want to carry so I can start a gunfight at the first sign of trouble. 98% of robbers are out of the door with their bag of cash in under 45 seconds, and I know a vast majority of robbers don't want any conflict, so I don't intend to mess with that. Let me reiterate, I do NOT intend to try to be any kind of hero. It would only come out in the most dire situations in which the threat is clearly set to do us harm, and not just to get some money.

The comfort of carrying comes from two and sometimes three areas:
1) That slim chance that someone tries to drag us all in the vault and starts yelling about killing a hostage every minute if X demand is not met (I'm being very hypothetical). Basically, a situation where far more than insured money is at risk. In such a case, I'd have no problem popping one of them in the back of the head with a pocket pistol when he turned his back, if it mean't I didn't have to die on me knees.

2) I like being armed not just while working, but before and after hours as well. If we are leaving after closing and someone walks us back inside with a gun to our heads, we'll be on our own for as long as they want (and these situations have the worst reputation for being particularly traumatic). Similarly to above, I like knowing I could, if given an opportunity, put an end to an inevitably violent situation. If it is two guys and they decide they might as well rape one of my female coworkers, I'll be looking for the first chance I can get to wiggle the weapon out (might get a pocket carry gun in the future, but otherwise it would have to come out from under / in between the buttons of my tucked dress short) and start making holes.

3) If we go somewhere strait after work (dinner, for example), even if I have a weapon in my car I might not be dressed to carry it on my person like I otherwise would. One time for this girl's birthday she really wanted to go play bingo. The place we went turned out to be pretty hood (I guess not a huge surprise), and it was so comforting having a weapon on me, especially when walking out to the parking lot at like 23:00 after my coworker won $500, heh. If I hadn't carried to work, I wouldn't have had it on me.

I know I don't have to explain why I carry to you guys, but I wanted to make it clear that I am not some trigger-happy simpleton. I wouldn't want to get in a gunfight at all, let alone with a pocket pistol, and especially not over money that is insured and in a way that would not only make the situation more dangerous for everyone, but would undoubtedly get me fired and possibly prosecuted. Again, the weapon would only be for the most desperate situations beyond "typical" robberies.

Now, here is why it is a risk:
Obviously, I made sure it doesn't print, but there is a small bulge in my belt there since I have a thin, wiry frame. Second, given I sometimes work in close proximity to others, there is always a chance someone will graze or bump into it. Regardless of whatever gets their attention, if they notice it enough to ask about it I am pretty much made. Most of them know I love me some guns, and most of them are actually more comfortable around me knowing I carry when we AREN'T at work, but there is a chance the wrong person will catch me or someone will overhear it being talked about, etc etc. Even pocket pistols I've tried will make enough of a bulge in my dress-pants pockets (even with a holster) that it might cause someone to ask why my pockets are all bulging so much. Again, if that happens and they don't immediately drop it, I'm made whether I deny it or not.

So, what do you guys think? I am kinda leaning toward not carrying, as I do feel the risk of being made is greater than the risk of needing the weapon. On the one hand, if I am sitting there watching a coworker get raped or am in a life-threating situation staring at an opportunity to use the gun I don't have, I'd feel pretty crappy. On the other hand, getting caught would surely make a huge dent in my future success (not too many places would hire me knowing I was fired for carrying when it was pretty clear my employer wouldn't like it) .

I have casually talked to my boss about it over the years. In casual conversation she has expressed concerns about the drastically increased dangers of me whipping out a gun at the first sign of trouble. On the other hand, I have explained to her that IF I were to carry, I would only use it in the most dire situations (like if someone is trying to rape her, I believe is one specific example I gave), and she did say she would indeed appreciate that, heh. I have also told her that if I ever was carrying it, she wouldn't know until I was using it on a threat (obviously, unless I was made at some point before then, heh). She simply nodded in an "ah, well I guess that makes sense and I guess there isn't anything I can do about it" way. Basically, I guess I'm trying to say that I'm positive if I directly asked for permission, none of my superiors would have enough faith in my mindset to allow it (thinking I'd try to go all cowboy and get half of us killed).

I guess that is about enough explanation. Would you carry in my circumstance?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-28-2011, 04:47 PM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Unless you had 40 years in the banking industry and was about to retire, I wouldn't. You are obviously concerned about your future so I would not risk it.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
Patriot Guard Rider

Old 03-28-2011, 04:56 PM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Just a couple of thoughts.

Have you seen the unemployment numbers?

Potential next employer: "Why were you fired from your last position?"
You: "For carrying a gun."
PNE: "Thanks for coming. Next."

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 03-28-2011, 05:15 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sounds good . That is what I was thinking. The upshot is since I am about to give away my only handgun small enough for such levels of concealment, I won't have to drop the money to replace it, heh.

Thanks!

Old 03-28-2011, 06:31 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6031 Times on 3161 Posts
Likes Given: 432

got fired by pizza hut for not letting a scumbag steal my car. didnt shoot the guy he saw my gun and fled before i got it in play. never hurt my future employment. the goblin actually came back to the store and complained to the manager...

my personal choice is, i will carry anytime i feel i need to regardless if ccw is legal or not.

but it is a call you gotta make for yourself. taking this sort of advice from interweb folks is about the same range as taking legal advice from us.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-28-2011, 06:50 PM   #6
N1431A
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 28 Times on 16 Posts

I've been retired since 2000. The company I used to work for had a no guns policy. I rode a bike to work and I did carry. I never let anyone know I was armed.

One night I was mugged by a car full of young punks who came alongside me and smashed a glass bottle over my head. (I was wearing a helmet) My pistol saved my butt.

Paul
Salome, AZ

Old 03-28-2011, 06:54 PM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3113 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1326

I am not a lawyer (or ever wanted to be one).

Follow the company's Policy and Procedures, and there is less of a chance to get fired.

If a policy or procedure is not applicable to the situation, then try to correct it.

Our customer (US Navy) does not allow for private firearms in the workplace, so no, I do not carry at work.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-28-2011, 07:02 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah I am not necessarily basing my decisions solely off what I hear from the web. I am just bouncing my paths of reasoning around to see if they make sense to others (and if not, particularly why).

But definitely some interesting conclusions. Still have a lot to think about I guess . I have been carrying there for several months but I'm always afraid something ridiculous is going to happen that will cause me to get made. I'm always afraid someone will brush against my chest and notice it / make a comment about it, or I'll trip and fall and it will become dislodged and when I stand up it will slide down my pants or be pointing out of my short or something. Just, generally silly things that are still quite plausible, heh.

Last edited by Lindenwood; 03-28-2011 at 07:18 PM.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:23 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'd get fired if I wasn't carrying.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 03-28-2011, 09:27 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasshartt View Post
I'd get fired if I wasn't carrying.
That is how every job should be so maybe people wouldn't require so many of you LEOs(not that we don't like you).

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer