Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Would you carry a revolver?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2008, 10:50 AM   #101
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
I would not, I don't like wheel guns nor do I feel comfortable with one.
I have a small .38 that I shoot every now and then, not at all accurate
with it, could be the gun, could be me...
That's where my bet is...

Old 12-08-2008, 11:56 AM   #102

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

First, a quality double action revolver in a defense caliber is a perfectly acceptable carry gun. I don't know anyone that wants to be hit with a .357 magnum, .41 magnum, .44 special, etc etc etc.

But don't be confused that because you are carrying a magnum you only need one or two shots. South Carolina Trooper Mark Coates shot his murderer four times center mass with a .357 magnum. Coates was shot once with a North American Arms 22LR mini-revolver. Coates died and the violator lived. This doesn't mean that I would trade Coates magnum for his killer's .22LR, it means that you can't depend on shot placement & ballistics alone.

While I have no problem considering a wheelgun a very serious defense pistol, especially for civilian carry where avoidance and evasion are primary tactics, if I knew I was going into harms way I would want the best overall package available. Since we're talking handguns, for me the best overall package is a high-capacity combat auto in .40 or .45 (maybe .357 Sig). When I worked the street I carried first a Glock 21 and later a Glock 22 (issued). My thought process was that the variables were going to be shot placement, ballistics, and firepower (capacity). I can shoot Glock handguns well, the .40 & .45 are competent self-defense calibers, and the guns are on the high-end of magazine capacity. The idea is to attack the threat until it stops, and more bullets means more attack power. If six doesn't put them down you just keep on working on them.

Consider this: If you were equally skilled with two guns and each had similar ballistic capabilities, and one was a single shot while the other had a 100 round capacity, which one would you take into harms way? I know this is strectching the argument to the near absurd, but I think it demonstrates the point.

So the last couple paragraphs sound like a dig on revolvers because of capacity, yet I have a Smith 13-2 on my closet shelf ready to go, and I advocate to many new shooters that a revolver might be the best choice for them. Why? Because of the stone cold reliability and ease of operation. Point and pull the trigger. If something doesn't work (and you're in a fight) just pull the trigger again. Limp wristing won't jam it. You want to unload it, you open the cylinder and dump the rounds out.

The final thing that must be considered is personal preference. I indicated at the beginning of this post that serious revolvers make good fighting guns, and they do. People choose them because of the stated ease of function. People choose them because of a preference towards revolver ammunition like .357 Magnum & .44 Special. People choose them because of a sense of history. All are valid reasons, and I encourage everyone to decide what they are comfortable with and what they prefer. As long as you are making an educated decision, understanding the strenghs and weaknesses or your choice, carry with pride. I am sure there are many a wheelgunner that would make short work of someone wielding a basket-of-bullets combat tupperware piece, but it won't have much to do with the gun.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Last edited by Bighead; 12-08-2008 at 01:17 PM.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:49 AM   #103

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default Revolver carring

I carry a revolver every day, A new 2007 charter Arms Bulldog 5 shot 44 spcl with 2 loaded speed loaders with gold dot ammo, This new charter Arms gun from the new company is totally reliable & no problems what so ever I know that in the past Charter got a bad rap on their guns but not these new baby's

Old 12-10-2011, 02:36 PM   #104

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Read your local newspapers and watch your news broadcasts. I have been doing so and I can not think of any circumstance where gun type would have made a nickels difference.
I have read numerous cases where not enough gun was used or the combatants were out fought but never one where extra rounds would have mattered.
This does not mean that I do not like the auto pistol. Often pistols are easer to conceal and when comparable rounds are considered pistols have less perceived recoil.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:37 PM   #105

I have the LC9 , it's 7+1 9mm p+ compatible.

Almost got a Jframe or LCR and would have definitely felt comfortable carrying either. But the local store had a heck of a deal on ruger's slim 9 so I got it.

Talked to a lot of friends who carry and They started with their 1911s, then switched to polymer 45/40/9, then swapped for a slim 9 or 380 or j frame. It just depends on your build, your lifestyle, and your preference - but 17 ounces and less than an inch wide is hard to beat. I feel very comfortable with my 8 rounds of 9mm

Old 12-20-2011, 04:40 PM   #106

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Back in the day when semi auto were not as reliable yes but now with all these great pistols like glock XD and even all the little keltec bigger rounds and more of them will always win.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:13 PM   #107
AZL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Meh....you hear both sides all the time. It's the same pissing contest that goes on betwixt 9mm vs 45 ~ 40 vs 45 ~ Glock vs 1911 ~ boxers vs breifs.

The reality is this:

The FIRST rule of a gun fight is: HAVE A GUN

I would expand that rule to: HAVE A GUN WITH WHICH YOU CAN FIGHT EFFECTIVELY

Having a gun with which you can fight effectively does NOT defined by caliber, make, model, pecker size, or ego investment. A gun with which YOU can fight effectively can be the humble .380 IF you place your shots where you need them in a dynamic critical incident.

Do I prefer a high capacity Glock in a caliber that begins with "4"? Yes. Why? I carried one for nearly 20 years as a duty weapon and still carry one today because I trust it completely, it has saved my life, and by golly I like the hell out of it, and I can FIGHT WITH IT EFFECTIVELY.

Would I carry a revolver as a primary defensive sidearm? Yep. Did it for the first part of my career, and used one of those to save my life. I only NEEDED the first two rounds in the cylinder...though according to the M.E. report, the first hit was the stopper. It was a 4" Model 686 Smith & Wesson .357 loaded with what I still carry in a magnum...Federal 125gr JHP, the ne plus ultra of handgun stopping power.

In fact...I still shoot a revolver in IDPA and USPSA in the summer months. I do it to keep perishable skills sharp. I am one of those guys who believe that if you truly MASTER a revolver...any bottom-feeder you shoot will be EASIER to thus master.

So...if you want to carry a wheelgun...by all means carry one, as long as you have invested the time, energy, money, and discipline into mastering that round thing. Of course, that goes for a bottom feeder too. A bunch more rounds in a magazine do you NO GOOD if all you are going to do is spray and pray.

Thus endeth the sermon.

Can I get an amennnnnnnn?

Surprize me...hose out your mangina, quit whining and actually DO something.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:18 PM   #108
AZL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macon17 View Post
Back in the day when semi auto were not as reliable yes but now with all these great pistols like glock XD and even all the little keltec bigger rounds and more of them will always win.
Not if you miss with all those, more plentiful and bigger rounds.

Surprize me...hose out your mangina, quit whining and actually DO something.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:22 PM   #109

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Very true might as well have a red ryder if your not good with what you have no one shoots a gun like you evey one handles there weapon different.

Ps its just nice mastering something like a 45

Old 12-20-2011, 05:25 PM   #110

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

True as well even my dad older man shoots a 1911 way better then me but I've always shoot glocks and am pretty good now not saying 1911 aren't good because there great but im not as good with them as others