womans gun.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > womans gun.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 05:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default womans gun.

hey guys, my mother would like to get her first handgun for home protection. she has shot my guns but wants something for her house when im not there. she does good and is comfortable with things .40 or less but can't decide what to get, please help!

here are the main things we know she wants
> under 500$
>perferably a 9mm.
>no .22
>not super small
>not a heavy trigger (too heavy to cause inaccuracy)
>comfortable in hands? if you would consider that a factor
>not high point!
>and new off the shelf gun
and in worst case scenario something her hubby can shoot.
AND we would like specific guns. from texas if that helps knock out the 10rd law and other nonsense gun laws
------------- i've been looking at getting the sig sp2022 in 9mm for myself; and it happens that she likes the look of it but im not sure if it would fit her in a hard to explain way. not girlish?, light and heavy in too strange a way?, i don't know how to explain that.?!
THANKS IN ADVANCE - assain618

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-28-2012, 07:14 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 216 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Since i love Glock.. i'd recommend Glock. To make it under $500:
First, join gssf and register for 2 years $60. And they will send you Glock coupon so that u can purchase a brand new Glock for LE prices.
Second, i'd recommend a Glock 26 for her as its light, 9mm caliber and small enough for carry.
Third, with the background check fee in your local state, the $60 gssf and the Glock plus tax.. maybe just abit over $500.
This is just my opinion.. hope it helps

Old 02-28-2012, 12:40 PM   #3

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

This is where I suggest a look at the Ruger SR9C

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 02-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #4

I second the Sr9c. My wife loves hers as does my 13 year old daughter. You can get it for around $400. It is high capacity, narrow, fairly small, low recoil and well made. It is hard to beat for the price. Get her into a shop to handle different guns. Find a couple that fit her. Then find a range that may rent them.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:43 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1273 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Take a look at Stoeger 8040 or 8000 Cougar. The 8040 is .40 S&W, the 8000 is 9MM. Both about 7" OAL, 5.5" high, 3.6"barrel. Price about $425.
The 8040 has 11+1 capacity, the 8000 14+1, I think. They use rotating barrel lockup, which helps them be very accurate. They have exposed hammer, decocker/safety, so they can be fired DA or SA. They are what used to be Beretta models, but they are now made in Turkey, imported and sold by Stoeger USA. I am quite happy with my 8040.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:03 PM   #6

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Springfield XD 9mm 4" $434.00 ships free

Hang a light or laser on it and you have one great HD gun.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #7

I liked the price of that .9 that you want.. Only $350, and add that it was carried by a SEAL impressed me some. I like the look of the rainbow sig, but it's pricy and I would not like to see my husband shoot something so pink and shiny..
having never shot a nine, I think at this point I'm leaning more toward a .40 now.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2808 Times on 1396 Posts
Likes Given: 289

You and your mother need to visit this site:

http://corneredcat.com/Contents/

If nothing else, read the part about choosing firearms.

The XDs are good guns.
The CZ75B can be had for under/at $500 with careful shopping. So can the compact version.

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 02-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #9
Jay

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

The age-old "trade-off" in handguns is especially applicable to the ladies..... short barrel, light weight, only 5 or 6 rounds equals much more perceived recoil. REGARDLESS OF GENDER. That being said, once proficient with the fundamentals, anyone can learn to shoot any caliber, as well as learn to shoot either a revolver, or a semi-auto. If the safety is that much of an issue, consider a double action only semi auto..... same basic function (point and pull the trigger) but you get 4 more rounds..... Just sayin' ..... most of 'em have a double-action trigger that is far superior to most ANY out-of-the-box revolver.

Shoes...... when you buy 'em, you try 'em on first...... if they don't feel good, you don't buy 'em..... if they feel good, and you buy 'em, chances are that you still might need to break in the shoes, and your feet.

Guns..... try 'em on first...... if they don't feel good, you don't buy 'em......... if they feel good, and you buy 'em, chances are that you still might need to practice with it, and enhance your ability to use it.....

Buying a particular handgun simply because someone else has one is just foolish. If there were a "best" handgun, we'd all own it, and there wouldn't be the huge selection of handguns to choose from.

Hey ........

GO SHOPPING

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 02-28-2012, 07:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyamom View Post
I liked the price of that .9 that you want.. Only $350, and add that it was carried by a SEAL impressed me some. I like the look of the rainbow sig, but it's pricy and I would not like to see my husband shoot something so pink and shiny..
having never shot a nine, I think at this point I'm leaning more toward a .40 now.
400 where we live