Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   womans gun. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/womans-gun-58982/)

assain618 02-28-2012 06:01 AM

womans gun.

hey guys, my mother would like to get her first handgun for home protection. she has shot my guns but wants something for her house when im not there. she does good and is comfortable with things .40 or less but can't decide what to get, please help! :)

here are the main things we know she wants
> under 500$
>perferably a 9mm.
>no .22
>not super small
>not a heavy trigger (too heavy to cause inaccuracy)
>comfortable in hands? if you would consider that a factor
>not high point!
>and new off the shelf gun
and in worst case scenario something her hubby can shoot.
AND we would like specific guns. from texas if that helps knock out the 10rd law and other nonsense gun laws
------------- i've been looking at getting the sig sp2022 in 9mm for myself; and it happens that she likes the look of it but im not sure if it would fit her in a hard to explain way.:confused: not girlish?, light and heavy in too strange a way?, i don't know how to explain that.?!
THANKS IN ADVANCE - assain618

okdonk 02-28-2012 08:14 AM

Since i love Glock.. i'd recommend Glock. To make it under $500:
First, join gssf and register for 2 years $60. And they will send you Glock coupon so that u can purchase a brand new Glock for LE prices.
Second, i'd recommend a Glock 26 for her as its light, 9mm caliber and small enough for carry.
Third, with the background check fee in your local state, the $60 gssf and the Glock plus tax.. maybe just abit over $500.
This is just my opinion.. hope it helps ;)

HOSSFLY 02-28-2012 01:40 PM

This is where I suggest a look at the Ruger SR9C :cool:

redfox 02-28-2012 03:38 PM

I second the Sr9c. My wife loves hers as does my 13 year old daughter. You can get it for around $400. It is high capacity, narrow, fairly small, low recoil and well made. It is hard to beat for the price. Get her into a shop to handle different guns. Find a couple that fit her. Then find a range that may rent them.

AIKIJUTSU 02-28-2012 03:43 PM

Take a look at Stoeger 8040 or 8000 Cougar. The 8040 is .40 S&W, the 8000 is 9MM. Both about 7" OAL, 5.5" high, 3.6"barrel. Price about $425.
The 8040 has 11+1 capacity, the 8000 14+1, I think. They use rotating barrel lockup, which helps them be very accurate. They have exposed hammer, decocker/safety, so they can be fired DA or SA. They are what used to be Beretta models, but they are now made in Turkey, imported and sold by Stoeger USA. I am quite happy with my 8040.

canebrake 02-28-2012 04:03 PM

Springfield XD 9mm 4" $434.00 ships free

Hang a light or laser on it and you have one great HD gun.

Tonyamom 02-28-2012 04:06 PM

I liked the price of that .9 that you want.. Only $350, and add that it was carried by a SEAL impressed me some. I like the look of the rainbow sig, but it's pricy and I would not like to see my husband shoot something so pink and shiny..
having never shot a nine, I think at this point I'm leaning more toward a .40 now.

Overkill0084 02-28-2012 04:21 PM

You and your mother need to visit this site:

http://corneredcat.com/Contents/

If nothing else, read the part about choosing firearms.

The XDs are good guns.
The CZ75B can be had for under/at $500 with careful shopping. So can the compact version.

Jay 02-28-2012 04:40 PM

The age-old "trade-off" in handguns is especially applicable to the ladies..... short barrel, light weight, only 5 or 6 rounds equals much more perceived recoil. REGARDLESS OF GENDER. That being said, once proficient with the fundamentals, anyone can learn to shoot any caliber, as well as learn to shoot either a revolver, or a semi-auto. If the safety is that much of an issue, consider a double action only semi auto..... same basic function (point and pull the trigger) but you get 4 more rounds..... Just sayin' ..... most of 'em have a double-action trigger that is far superior to most ANY out-of-the-box revolver.

Shoes...... when you buy 'em, you try 'em on first...... if they don't feel good, you don't buy 'em..... if they feel good, and you buy 'em, chances are that you still might need to break in the shoes, and your feet.

Guns..... try 'em on first...... if they don't feel good, you don't buy 'em......... if they feel good, and you buy 'em, chances are that you still might need to practice with it, and enhance your ability to use it.....

Buying a particular handgun simply because someone else has one is just foolish. If there were a "best" handgun, we'd all own it, and there wouldn't be the huge selection of handguns to choose from.

Hey ........

GO SHOPPING

assain618 02-28-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonyamom (Post 723245)
I liked the price of that .9 that you want.. Only $350, and add that it was carried by a SEAL impressed me some. I like the look of the rainbow sig, but it's pricy and I would not like to see my husband shoot something so pink and shiny..
having never shot a nine, I think at this point I'm leaning more toward a .40 now.

400 where we live