Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Windy day?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 117 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Default Windy day?

Its a tad windy down here in TX today. 35mph constant and 45-55 mph gusts. Its also 80 degrees. This is a fairly tipical day around here this time of year. On the breef walk from my truck to Academy and back I saw 3 guys in light t-shirts have there shirt blow up exposing their firearm. Im almost positive mine did the same. Any tricks to avoid this? Will I get in trouble with the law in this type of situation if a cop see's this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #2

Liked 1727 Times on 1043 Posts
Likes Given: 364

Depends on Texas law. In Georgia, it doesn't matter if your gun got exposed because open carry is legal. In Florida however, if your gun gets exposed it can be considered brandishing a firearm and can be grounds for fines or loss of your permit.

As for tricks. Get a holster that allows your shirt to tuck in for those windy days.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1734 Times on 977 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Depends on Texas law. In Georgia, it doesn't matter if your gun got exposed because open carry is legal. In Florida however, if your gun gets exposed it can be considered brandishing a firearm and can be grounds for fines or loss of your permit.

As for tricks. Get a holster that allows your shirt to tuck in for those windy days.
There is a recent change in Florida Statute. The italics are mine.

Quote:
790.053 Open carrying of weapons.—
(1) Except as otherwise provided by law and in subsection (2), it is unlawful for any person to openly carry on or about his or her person any firearm or electric weapon or device. It is not a violation of this section for a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm as provided in s. 790.06(1), and who is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, to briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense.
Please keep in mind that this is not a guaranteed get out of jail card. Even an inadvertent exposure on a windy day could still get you arrested. It would pretty much depend on how vocal the complainant was and how willing they were to stretch the truth.

People are still getting arrested for accidental exposure, though nowhere near as often as they were a couple years ago. Some officers seem to be more interested in padding their arrest stats than they are in the law or justice.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbomar4
Its a tad windy down here in TX today. 35mph constant and 45-55 mph gusts. Its also 80 degrees. This is a fairly tipical day around here this time of year. On the breef walk from my truck to Academy and back I saw 3 guys in light t-shirts have there shirt blow up exposing their firearm. Im almost positive mine did the same. Any tricks to avoid this? Will I get in trouble with the law in this type of situation if a cop see's this?
One of the reasons I wish Texas would pass open carry. Be that as it may the state law says that accidental exposure is no crime. You may or may not get hassled depending on the cop. You are much more likely to be bothered if one of the many anti-gunners see it and call the police.

Odds of this will vary with the location in the state and how you are dressed.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:29 AM   #5

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

It's easy, wear something that won't blow up, revealing your gun.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon
It's easy, wear something that won't blow up, revealing your gun.
That's easy to say if you don't live in a place that may often get heavy gusts. Combine that with 80+ temperatures and it can be fun.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #7

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I would carry the weapon IWB so not so much of the gun can be exposed by the wind. Most people would think it's a cell phone, not a gun. An pair of pants that are a size to large is much cheaper than defending yourself in a court of law. I wear Red Kap work pants when I am carrying IWB. They are comfortable and easy to wash.

I know this idea sucks but it's better than the alternative, get a fanny pack. I can take a little ribbing better than questioning by a DA.

My wife uses a belly band holster with great success. She is very tiny and her clothes are very sheer. Yet no one knows she is carrying a weapon. She easily conceals a SP101 or a P-11, no matter what the weather might be.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 11-14-2012 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Belly band

Old 11-15-2012, 02:43 AM   #8

Liked 117 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 76

wharvey- Thank you. You said that much more gracefully than I was going to say it.
Old Crow- I do carry IWB as did the three guys that I saw have there gun exposed. I'm very thin (120lbs 5'11")and have a long torso for my height. Anything bigger than a medium shirt looks like a dress but that still just barely reaches my waist line.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:41 PM   #9

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharvey View Post
That's easy to say if you don't live in a place that may often get heavy gusts. Combine that with 80+ temperatures and it can be fun.
I do.

As such, I don't wear outfits that have that issue.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:32 PM   #10

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbomar4 View Post
wharvey- Thank you. You said that much more gracefully than I was going to say it.
Old Crow- I do carry IWB as did the three guys that I saw have there gun exposed. I'm very thin (120lbs 5'11")and have a long torso for my height. Anything bigger than a medium shirt looks like a dress but that still just barely reaches my waist line.
Red Kap work clothing makes shirts in a medium tall at very fair prices. Most of the shirts look just as nice as any shirt you buy in a store as long as you like solid colors. I would rather not look as stylish than run around with a serious case of weather paranoia. They have a nice website. Everything they make is custom tailored. Just have your local tailor measure you and fax your measurements in. You can't beat their prices and you don't have to get near a mall. I buy a lot of clothes from Red Kap because I wear a XXL tall.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/