Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Winchester Silver Tip 9mm 115 gr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 02:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

Default Winchester Silver Tip 9mm 115 gr

Ok so my buddy gave me a box of this ammo. I had given him 2 of my old holsters so he returned the favor. I have read the penetration is around 11-12 inches and below FBI standards and all that good jazz. But I think this would be preffered in an apartment? Thoughts? Experience with ammo?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-01-2013, 02:57 AM   #2

Forgot to say they are JHP's

Old 10-01-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2191 Times on 1213 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockRenegade
Ok so my buddy gave me a box of this ammo. I had given him 2 of my old holsters so he returned the favor. I have read the penetration is around 11-12 inches and below FBI standards and all that good jazz. But I think this would be preffered in an apartment? Thoughts? Experience with ammo?
Below FBI penetration standards is not preferred in an apartment or anywhere else. The standards are designed to give the amount of penetration to punch into the vital organs from any angle, while minimizing any possibility of injury or property damage if the round does pass all the way through the BG.

A stray round with good enough ballistics to kill someone will punch through your sheetrock walls with no problems at all.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/

What you want to look into if you can find it is the full test done on your ammo. The FBI test will demonstrate what it does through heavy clothing, doors, windshield glass and vehicle steel.

If this is the old 115g silver tip, then it is the one the FBI agents were carrying in the 1986 Miami shootout, and even with head shots it did not stop the subjects they were dealing with. I was told that it's failure in that shootout was part of the reason the FBI began developing their ballistic standards in the first place. I've never read any articles that stated that myself, but it makes sense.

I'd use it for varmints and target plinking. I certainly wouldn't trust it to my life, since it is partially to blame for the agents who lost theirs.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 10-01-2013 at 08:35 PM.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post

Below FBI penetration standards is not preferred in an apartment or anywhere else. The standards are designed to give the amount of penetration to punch into the vital organs from any angle, while minimizing any possibility of injury or property damage if the round does pass all the way through the BG.

A stray round with good enough ballistics to kill someone will punch through your sheetrock walls with no problems at all.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/

What you want to look into if you can find it is the full test done on your ammo. The FBI test will demonstrate what it does through heavy clothing, doors, windshield glass and vehicle steel.

If this is the old 115g silver tip, then it is the one the FBI agents were carrying in the 1986 Miami shootout, and even with head shots it did not stop the subjects they were dealing with. I was told that it's failure in that shootout was part of the reason the FBI began developing their ballistic standards in the first place. I've never read any articles that stated that myself, but it makes sense.

I'd use it for varmints and target plinking. I certainly wouldn't trust it to my life, since it is partially to blame for the agents who lost theirs.
Holy crap they are the same rounds used in Miami... well im glad I asked - thanks man

Old 10-02-2013, 05:14 AM   #5

Looks like I'm going back to Winchester PDX... which passed FBI tests with flying colors lol

Old 10-02-2013, 07:01 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockRenegade
Looks like I'm going back to Winchester PDX... which passed FBI tests with flying colors lol
I used to carry rangers in my Glock 22, they cycled great and never corroded. I switched agencies and had to switch ammo. But I really liked the Winchester rounds. I still have a box or two that I load in one of my mags when I carry to the deer stand. It does freaky things to varmints. Once blew a pretty big lab's entire lower jaw right off.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

Old 10-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

PDX1 .40 cal

image-315905601.jpg   image-190985483.jpg  

Old 10-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1350 Times on 917 Posts
Likes Given: 459

In the north Hollywood bank robberies, the ensuing shootout would have been a one man affair if an undercover officer had FMJ ammo in his 380. He shot one of the robbers in the shoulder at the perfect angle to miss his body armor. The HP bullet he was using hit the robbers arm bone and stopped.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 10-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I have not been able to find a single 380 round that can pass the FBI penetration standards. 380 is not a recommended self defense caliber for reasons that line up with that exact story john deer.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:09 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1350 Times on 917 Posts
Likes Given: 459

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
I have not been able to find a single 380 round that can pass the FBI penetration standards. 380 is not a recommended self defense caliber for reasons that line up with that exact story john deer.
I agree 100%. When fired from a 2" barrel the 380 is comparable to a 22 wmr fired from a 2" barrel. The Bersa thunder is the only popular 380 that has a long enough barrel to get the best out the 380 cartridge. The Bersa thunder is as big as my Ruger P95. The thunder is a full sized pistol contrary to popular belief.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

DeltaF Likes This