Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Will a Kahr PM9 fit in a jeans pocket?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 09:14 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 225 Times on 140 Posts

I don't see how a 1911 cocked and locked would just go off when used with a proper holster while not being handled,not only would something have to disengage the safety and pull the trigger,but also be depressing the grip safety at the same time. There's nothing in or around me that can do that besides myself.

Just use good leather and don't manipulate your weapon while carrying and you'll be fine as far as 1911's go

Old 01-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #32

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post
That ticking time bomb comment reminds me of something a liberal would say to convince the masses of the need to ban firearms, but back to the topic, you mentioned a single stack 9 autoloader, have you looked at a S&W Shield? They come in 9 and 40, I handled one at Gander Mountain last summer and was quite impressed with it, much more concealable than their double stack line. This will likely be my ccw when I get the scratch to buy one, also I have a friend who has a Taurus Slimline 709 which is also offered in the 40, the model 740, he loves it and hasn't had any trouble, however I have read both good and bad reviews on these. Personally if I were to carry my ccw without a round chambered I would carry a revolver with one cylinder empty, though I don't see the need for this, it at least eliminates the need to rack the slide, just pull it out and pull the trigger, can be done easily with one hand. As stated previously if you are rushed by an attacker and taken by surprise it is doubtful you will have the time and state of mind to rack that slide, no matter how good you think you are, I know I wouldn't like that scenario at all, but in the end it is truly your decision and your sacrifice, just lending my .02
Well, I used to be a "liberal". So, maybe I have momentary flashbacks in my thought processes...

Yes, I have looked at the M&P Shield and have heard universally good things about it. If I was interested in a compact, inside the waistband, thin, single stack, 9mm; then it would definitely be near the top of my list. But what I'm really looking for is a reliable 9mm that will fit in my pocket. And since I already discovered that the Kahr CM9 is too bulky for my liking, then the M&P Shield definitely won't work either since it's bigger.

As to the Taurus, I would never really buy anything from Brazil...

As to the suggestion of carrying a revolver with one of the cylinder tubes empty, that's actually a really interesting idea. I still don't really like revolvers though... Not enough rounds, too hard to reload and the cylinder is too bulky.

And yes, I have thought of the downsides of carrying with an empty chamber. If I was bum rushed, that would indeed suck. However, I'm willing to take that risk in order to be absolutely confident when carrying that my gun will never accidentally discharge.

The likelyhood of needing to use my gun is very small. And the likelyhood of having an accidental discharge is also very small. It's up to you to weigh which side you want to come down on... I chose to completely eliminate the chances of ever having an accident which results in a minor dent to my "tacticalness"...

Last edited by Yuckers; 01-01-2013 at 07:00 PM.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #33

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

@ Yuckers

I totally disagree with your statement.

I don't live anywhere near a "war zone" and we have robberies & break-in's weekly in my town.

If you don't have a cartridge in the pipe - your gun isn't loaded and ready

Old 01-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #34

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Though you thought it may be a stupid idea, modifying your pants pockets to fit a slightly larger gun maybe your best option, as I fear you may be searching for a unicorn here, simply put if the guns mentioned here won't work for you and the Kahr is too big, then I doubt you will find a 9mm small enough for what you want to do with it. Another thing to consider when looking at the micro guns is you said in your last post you weren't comfortable with the revolver's capacity, well when you start making an auto loader very tiny in size you are getting down close to the revolver capacity anyways unless you have a double stack micro gun and then you are getting into the fat pistol again which starts to work against your main goal of concealibility.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 01-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #35

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Though you thought it may be a stupid idea, modifying your pants pockets to fit a slightly larger gun maybe your best option, as I fear you may be searching for a unicorn here, simply put if the guns mentioned here won't work for you and the Kahr is too big, then I doubt you will find a 9mm small enough for what you want to do with it. Another thing to consider when looking at the micro guns is you said in your last post you weren't comfortable with the revolver's capacity, well when you start making an auto loader very tiny in size you are getting down close to the revolver capacity anyways unless you have a double stack micro gun and then you are getting into the fat pistol again which starts to work against your main goal of concealibility.
You may have said it all right there....nice.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #36

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Yeah, I may just make my own larger pockets and add them to my favorite pants (I've already started to research how to do it...)

And yes, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I won't be able to find a 9mm small enough to pocket carry for my liking. Which is why I'm planning to just keep carrying my Glock 26 in an ankle holster and inside the waistband holster and start pocket carrying my Ruger LCP more. : /

And yeah, I frankly don't feel confident carrying anything "lower" than a Glock 26. I really like having 10+ rounds of high quality 9mm rounds in an extremely reliable gun. Heck, I'd much rather have 15+ rounds of 10mm to be honest... Which is why I was never really too thrilled with pocket carry in general. I just wanted 9mm rounds rather than .380 rounds when I was more or less forced to pocket carry...

Last edited by Yuckers; 01-01-2013 at 06:44 PM.