Will a Kahr PM9 fit in a jeans pocket? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Will a Kahr PM9 fit in a jeans pocket?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 04:21 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The majority of the time I'd leave the pocket holster unlocked for quick access. I just like having the option of securing it with a strap since some of my favorite hobbies like indoor and outdoor rock climbing have me practically hanging upside down.

And yes, I know accidental dischrages are rare. I just suggest that more people err on the side of caution since, like I said, I've read and heard way, way too many reports about accidental discharges over the years.

As to revolvers always being "chambered", that's one of the reasons why I don't like revolvers.

Last edited by Yuckers; 12-26-2012 at 04:27 AM.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:30 AM   #12

Liked 2178 Times on 1194 Posts
Likes Given: 1402

I have a CM9. I pocket carry in a leather pocket holster. Loose jeans are no problem. I have a holster that I made myself. I deliberatly made it hard to pull the holster out of the pocket. If I grab the gun and draw the holster always stays in the pocket. I do not use retention of any type. The holster simply fits the gun well.
002.jpg  
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:59 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What does everyone think about the CM9? There's a pretty good deal on one at a local gun shop and I've been thinking about getting it. I like the higher quality feel of the PM9 but the CM9 is pretty much the same gun internally, right?

PS. Thumbs up for making your own holster. I'll probably end up just buying a pocket holster and adding my own safety strap to it myself.

Last edited by Yuckers; 12-26-2012 at 09:01 AM.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #14

Liked 331 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I have carried a cm9 for a few years and its a great pistol . For me no down side with it. BUT for a newbe to lite heavier recoiling pistol you must have good basic skills with them. Prices before the election were around 350 to 375 dollars. Today ??!! Oh it ain't going to fire if dropped. Fireing pin block. Nether is a modern revolver with a transferbar that blocks the hammer from the fireing pin except when the hammer is fully to the rear. You need to study modern saftey designs bult into most modern handguns your looking at.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #15

I pocket carry a Kel Tec PF9 every day in an uncle mikes pocket holster. It's 7+1 single stacked, loaded with Hornady Critical defense 115gr 9mm +P ammo. The slides and barrels are available in blued, parkerized and hard chrome. They are supe light weight. I'm 6'2" and 180lbs so I'm relatively skinny. Even in the summer in shorts and I'm down to 32 waist pants you can tell I'm packing. And the best part.....I can't even feel it in my pocket. I've carried it comfortably IWB too but prefer pocket. My particular gun is the mid priced Black on Black with the Parkerized finish. I may send my slide and barrel in for an upgrade to Hard Chrome after the holidays. Mine was $278 out the door brand new. $306 with a box of shells and the holster. Despite all the Kel Tec knockers and the few FTF's and FTE's I had in the first few clips......I love it now and it functions flawlessly and don't plan on ever getting rid of it.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:46 AM   #16

Liked 295 Times on 254 Posts

I pocket carry, wearing Levi 505 straight leg (doesn't get tighter unless you buy skinny jeans), with this...

Star Firestar M43:

- Overall length ~ 6.5"
- Barrel length ~ 3.4"
- Overall height ~ 4.61"
- Maximum width ~ 1.1"
- Unloaded weight ~ 30.2oz

This is a heavy, medium sized gun. I have no trouble drawing in an instant and don't even use a belt. I can sit, stand and run with full range motion in ease and comfort. It does imprint a bit, but I've never been so much as looked at sideways, so...

I actually think that tighter pockets are better as they provide more support, but looser would allow for easier draw. I do have skinny features like hands so it may be easier for me to get in and out than big mitted folk.

That said I am looking to downsize soon, too a lighter, smaller framed gun. The current, while doable, isn't desirable. The one I'm looking at, Sig P938 will be half the weight!
Colby Likes This 
Old 12-27-2012, 09:42 AM   #17

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
Yuckers , sorry but your looking for something that is not out made and frankly defeats the purpose of haveing a quickly excessable concealable handgun if its needed no matter how skilled you think you are under stress. Yes the chance of needing your CC is small but don't restrict your chance to survive an attack by limiting your ability of useing your CC if needed. False security when your handgun is both unchamber and strapped in a pocket holster. Just assum you will only have one hand to use too.

You need to have a buddy at his call rush at you or even by you from 25 feet off and see if you can pull anything from your pocket and point it toword him before he is all over you, now rack the slide to. Now add a holster than binds your handgun into your pocket??!! I would rather have a knife and OC spray. Carry'n a unchambered modern safe handgun alone is useless most anytime when you need to use one hand to keep the BG off you while clearing your handgun from your pocket . At closer distances that more than probable and to then have your hangun strapped into a pocket holster unchamberd is going to you and yours in deep trouble if ever needed. That set up becomes a high priced rock.

I have pocket carried a modern safe designed revolver or two different makes of semi-autos over the last 26 years working as a carpenter, chambered and ready to go and never had one fall from a pocket or never had one dropped or fired on it own. Buy a time proven handgun with a long DA type trigger pull and it is safe to CC chambered and ready for action.
Very much agree with long trigger pull for cc.
Short trigger pulls and safeties - NOT.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, I know if I carried, say, a 1911 cocked and locked with a round in the chamber and the safety on that it would probably be safe. But the idea of sitting down and having my hot gun pointed at random people and my loved ones just eats away at the back of my mind. It just seems too dangerous to me. There's always that very small chance that somehow the safety will come off or fail and the trigger pulled. With an empty chamber, it's literally impossible to accidentally discharge a firearm (unless you dropped it in fire or something). I could chuck the gun across a parking lot and it wouldn't accidentally fire. And like I already said, chambering a round is just such an easy thing to do.

I'm surprised you pocket carry such a huge gun, BeyondTheBox. That's bigger than my Glock 26.

Last edited by Yuckers; 01-01-2013 at 06:52 PM.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:19 PM   #19

Liked 295 Times on 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuckers View Post
Yeah, I know if I carried, say, a 1911 cocked and locked with a round in the chamber and the safety on that it would probably be safe. But the idea of sitting down and having my hot gun pointed at random people and my loved ones just eats away at the back of my mind. It just seems too dangerous to me. There's always that very small chance that somehow the safety will come off or fail and the trigger pulled somehow. With an empty chamber, it's literally impossible to accidentally discharge a firearm (unless you dropped it in fire or something). I could chuck the gun across a parking lot and it wouldn't accidentally fire. And like I already said, chambering a round is just such an easy thing to do.

I'm surprised you pocket carry such a huge gun, BeyondTheBox. That's bigger than my Glock 26.
I carry chambered with hammer down, condition 2. Majority would advise against it.

Most modern guns with a manual hammer have a firingpin block and half cocked stop. You can also carry manual hammer guns half cocked. It puts pressure on the sear, but then it's not cocked, so no matter what the trigger does, no matter if you drop on the hammer and it somehow slips nothing is going to happen.

I mean really we could play the what if game forever and then we're no better than the libtards playing games of speculation and semantics. In the end I commend you for doing what you believe to be right and I won't knock ya for it like some of these others will, but I disagree and will continue to carry as I believe is safest and most valuable to me.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:56 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you for respectfully disagreeing with me. Cheers.

Update for anyone who might Google this same question and read this thread, I tried slipping the CM9 into my pocket at a local gun store wearing a favorite pair of my somewhat tight khakis and it's just too big (to me at least). And since that's pretty much the smallest 9mm there is, it looks like I'll be carrying my Ruger LCP more when I want to pocket carry...

*sigh*

Anywho, as to the Ruger LCP, I have a couple questions about ammo.

One of my favorite bullet makers is "Buffalo Bore". I'm really impressed with how hot their rounds are. Go look at ballistic comparisons and they pretty much dominate in every single caliber. (If anyone has anything bad to say about them, let me know. Because I buy most of my self-defense ammo from them and want to be aware of any problems that company might have).

I was troubled by some of the information the owner of that company stated under their .380 rounds, though.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=129

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=127

He claimed that "frangible" (hollow points?) .380s simply aren't powerful enough to (about to get graphic here) go through an attackers head. Even in the description for his own hollow point .380 rounds that he sells (which are the hottest I've ever personally seen) he recommends that you only have your first round be one of his hollow points followed up 5+ rounds of the solid cast bullets he sells.

He reasoned that with a weak round like the .380, the bullets basically have to be solid cast in order to take out the spinal cord and achieve immediate incapacitation of the threat.

Is that true? Any ballistic experts out there know if he's pushing nonsense or not? Will .380 hollow points really fail to reliably stop an attacker? Do you really need solid cast bullets when using the .380 for self-defense? Would using solid cast rounds actually be a bad thing in .380 since you still want bullet expansion?