Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Will a Kahr PM9 fit in a jeans pocket?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Will a Kahr PM9 fit in a jeans pocket?

I carry a Glock 26 daily but I'm finding having to use waistband holsters and ankle holsters as being just too annoying to live with.

I really want to start carrying a truly pocketable handgun. I also have a Ruger LCP and it's perfectly sized for pocket carry. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's chambered in .380.

I know small 9mms like the Kahr PM9 could probably fit in baggy cargo pants pockets. But I don't want to alter my wardrobe. I mostly wear somewhat tight jeans and khakis and am wondering if anyone has tried to carry something like the Kahr PM9 wearing those kinds of pants.

On a sidenote, I'm also wondering if anybody else out there has tried to replace the pockets on their favorite pants with larger ones so they could pocket carry 9mms. Or am I the only one who's had that probably stupid idea?

Thanks a million in advance.

Last edited by Yuckers; 12-24-2012 at 12:03 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-24-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2759 Times on 1598 Posts
Likes Given: 1205

I am against the idea of not using a pocket holster.

If I may suggest, go to your LGS with your favorite pants on and try it. It may be a little bulky.

I never tried to replace my pockets. The sewing skills are kind of lacking here.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-24-2012, 10:53 AM   #3

I pocket carry sometimes my pm9. I have never had a problem concealing it this way. I am 6'6 280 though so my pockets may be bigger in the size jeans I wear too though.
Love the pm9 though. I tried tons of guns over the years for ccw and I can't recommend the pm9 enough

Old 12-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1489 Times on 1007 Posts
Likes Given: 515

I pocket carry a Kel Tec P11. It's very close to the pm9 in size. It is bulky and I am not really hiding anything. Anyone can see I have something in my pocket wearing jeans. I think you will have the same issues with the pm9

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 12-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #5

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts

Send me your jeans and I'll try it out.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #6

Liked 214 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 15

If your jeans or normal cut and not tight yes you can pocket a cm/pm9. USE a pocket holster allways. A handgun can get turned in a pocket and if needed find it is not up right. Holsters keep the pistol in a fixed position and help to fill the pocket and conceal or soft'n the out line of the handgun.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:57 PM   #7

Liked 2079 Times on 1225 Posts
Likes Given: 447

The biggest thing a pocket holster does, safety-wise is cover the trigger to prevent an accidental discharge.

With the proper style and size of jeans, the Khar sould fit. I just wouldn't go trying it in those tight fitting, skinny jeans or other "fashion" jeans. Many have smaller pockets like women's pants (one of my wife's biggest complaints about women's jeans is that she cannot pocket carry anything but the smallest of handguns).

Levi's, Wranglers, Lee Dungarees, and even Old Navy loose fit jeans,seem to have fairly generous pockets.

Old 12-25-2012, 04:27 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oh, I plan on using a pocket holster. I don't know why everyone is assuming I'm opposed to that. I just don't like waistband and ankle holsters (or torso or shoulder holsters).

But as to pocket holsters, I'd mostly use it to disguise the outline of the gun in my pocket (the more it looks like a wallet or iPhone outline the better) and to keep pocket fuzz out of the gun. Keeping it upright in the same position is another plus.

As to covering the trigger, I NEVER keep a round in the chamber of any of my guns - especially not a carry gun (I carry unchambered, safety off and do the same with all of my guns at home). So, that's not really a concern for me. And I hate to derail my own thread and create controversy, but I strongly recommend everyone else does the same. I also strongly advise against carrying firearms in coat pockets since people leave their coats behind all the time.

I know such views are denounced by the majority of people in the "gun community" as moronic, but I don't care. Better safe than sorry in my book.

The likelyhood of actually needing to use your guns for self-defense is thankfully quite small for most people. Therefore, safety and preventing accidental discharges outweighs a slightly slower presentation of the firearm in my personal opinion.

I've read or heard about way too many instances of handguns falling out of pockets and discharging in public bathrooms and the like to EVER trust the safety features on a firearm. And so many accidental discharges have resulted from people taking their magazine out and forgetting that they chambered a round. And those news stories are always public relations disasters for guns rights. And those accidental discharges also result in tragic accidental deaths. So, I'd like to help minimize such statistics myself...

And racking the slide back is such an easy and automatic motor movement for me that I don't think it's a significant hastle in a self-defense situation.

Anywho, to get back on topic about pocket holsters and to stick with my better safe than sorry mindset, I'm also in the market for a very thin pocket holster with a grippy exterior and a safety strap which wraps around the handle of the gun preventing it from slipping out of the holster. I'd also like the strap to attach by a metal button or even a plastic buckle and NOT by velcro. I've yet to see any pocket holsters of that design. They all seem to be little sleeves that you just tuck the front half of the gun into and they secure the gun through mere friction alone. And that's the kind of pocket holster I used for my Ruger LCP but would like to avoid having to use in the future.

Thanks again in advance for any helpful responses.

Last edited by Yuckers; 12-25-2012 at 04:43 AM.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:18 AM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2759 Times on 1598 Posts
Likes Given: 1205

With the number of people who read these posts, somebody would take a "pocket pistol" and put it in their pocket without thinking of using a holster.

(forums are not private conversations)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #10

Liked 214 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Yuckers , sorry but your looking for something that is not out made and frankly defeats the purpose of haveing a quickly excessable concealable handgun if its needed no matter how skilled you think you are under stress. Yes the chance of needing your CC is small but don't restrict your chance to survive an attack by limiting your ability of useing your CC if needed. False security when your handgun is both unchamber and strapped in a pocket holster. Just assum you will only have one hand to use too.

You need to have a buddy at his call rush at you or even by you from 25 feet off and see if you can pull anything from your pocket and point it toword him before he is all over you, now rack the slide to. Now add a holster than binds your handgun into your pocket??!! I would rather have a knife and OC spray. Carry'n a unchambered modern safe handgun alone is useless most anytime when you need to use one hand to keep the BG off you while clearing your handgun from your pocket . At closer distances that more than probable and to then have your hangun strapped into a pocket holster unchamberd is going to you and yours in deep trouble if ever needed. That set up becomes a high priced rock.

I have pocket carried a modern safe designed revolver or two different makes of semi-autos over the last 26 years working as a carpenter, chambered and ready to go and never had one fall from a pocket or never had one dropped or fired on it own. Buy a time proven handgun with a long DA type trigger pull and it is safe to CC chambered and ready for action.

Last edited by hardluk1; 12-25-2012 at 01:04 PM.