Why We Need Concealed & Open Carry - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Why We Need Concealed & Open Carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1577 Times on 1075 Posts
Likes Given: 543

When young boys are taught to shoot they are handed a rifle. Yet when we try to teach our wives to shoot we start them off with a pistol. In my opinion, most new shooters find a 22 rifle less intimidating. The new shooter simply needs to get used to handing things that go bang. Once the new shooter is comfortable with a rifle It's much easier much easier to introduce them to a handgun.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

People Like This 
Old 09-09-2013, 01:40 AM   #32

Liked 104 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post

Oh everyone I know learned on a revolver(22) I guess we were all wrong! I was shooting a 22 revolver before I could walk almost! That's what she needs I bigger, longer. Louder object she is already frighten to handle.
Dude chill. 22 revolver has more perceived noise & recoil than a rifle in 22. My first pistol was a 22 revolver, so was my second. I was already interested in guns though, she is clearly afraid. Best bet is to start with something as quiet and soft as possible. And in an appealing color. Then step up. I have introduced anti gun females to shooting, and to lawful responsible carry. I speak from experience and logic, whereas you seem emotional.

the .22 revolver [in fact almost all revolvers] share the same problem: the cylinder gap [1895 nagant deals with this weakness but with the cost of a very heavy trigger]
the cylinder gap allows expanding gasses and NOISE escape sideways, more toward the shooter and especially standers-by. a 22 pistol has alot of unburned powder, and even a semi-auto handgun has alot more perceived sound. a 22 rifle, burns that powder, the weight of the rifle [even a carbine] absorbs that recoil, the longer barrel puts the sound farther away from the shooter, with the powder more spent within the barrel, doesnt produce as much perceived sound as its already burnt. even a semi-auto 22 rifle is quieter and softer than a 22 pistol. next shall i address color? color can be very important, pink or purple is not "ugly" or "intimidating", it has a "softer" look to it. and when you get to carry pistols, several women have stated that they wont carry something in an "ugly" color.

Last edited by phildenton; 09-09-2013 at 02:07 AM.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:28 AM   #33

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 51

WE need to carry for a few reasons. Because the pot smokers are kept in jail and the killers get let out. Because the police can't be everywhere all the time. Because morality is becoming extinct. Because we truly cannot trust the government. Because an armed society is a polite society. Because guns don't kill....they stop people who kill. There are no doubt thousands of reasons to carry.....but not one damn reason not to.

Never waste time deciding between two guns....buy both of them.

DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 09-09-2013, 07:25 AM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribound View Post
WE need to carry for a few reasons. Because the pot smokers are kept in jail and the killers get let out. Because the police can't be everywhere all the time. Because morality is becoming extinct. Because we truly cannot trust the government. Because an armed society is a polite society. Because guns don't kill....they stop people who kill. There are no doubt thousands of reasons to carry.....but not one damn reason not to.
I can think of one overriding reason NOT to carry a firearm. A person that knows deep down in their soul that they could never use a firearm against another person should not carry.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #35

Liked 104 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post

I can think of one overriding reason NOT to carry a firearm. A person that knows deep down in their soul that they could never use a firearm against another person should not carry.
That is a personal choice, but can be a good one in that instance.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildenton View Post
That is a personal choice, but can be a good one in that instance.
Absolutely. I know a few people that feel that way, and I refuse to try to change their mind. I know one person that is so convinced they will rot in heck they even gave up their Taser after reading about a death caused by one. Who am I to argue with their personal belief? Of course, with Murphey's Law still on the books they will probably Mace a COPD patient and end up killing them anyway.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #37

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildenton

Dude chill. 22 revolver has more perceived noise & recoil than a rifle in 22. My first pistol was a 22 revolver, so was my second. I was already interested in guns though, she is clearly afraid. Best bet is to start with something as quiet and soft as possible. And in an appealing color. Then step up. I have introduced anti gun females to shooting, and to lawful responsible carry. I speak from experience and logic, whereas you seem emotional.

the .22 revolver [in fact almost all revolvers] share the same problem: the cylinder gap [1895 nagant deals with this weakness but with the cost of a very heavy trigger]
the cylinder gap allows expanding gasses and NOISE escape sideways, more toward the shooter and especially standers-by. a 22 pistol has alot of unburned powder, and even a semi-auto handgun has alot more perceived sound. a 22 rifle, burns that powder, the weight of the rifle [even a carbine] absorbs that recoil, the longer barrel puts the sound farther away from the shooter, with the powder more spent within the barrel, doesnt produce as much perceived sound as its already burnt. even a semi-auto 22 rifle is quieter and softer than a 22 pistol. next shall i address color? color can be very important, pink or purple is not "ugly" or "intimidating", it has a "softer" look to it. and when you get to carry pistols, several women have stated that they wont carry something in an "ugly" color.
To end this debate, so I don't have to read another Novel on your opinions why a grown women should learn to shoot a rifle and not a revolver!! You are right and we should all have the same opinion!! Cool??

Old 09-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402

A life threatening situation could change that mindset!! For Instants, I've seen a lot of sweet innocent Mothers that in there normal State! Could not and would not hurt a flea!! You threaten there children with harm! 99% will shoot you dead in your tracks, without any hesitation whatsoever. It's called "instincts". The instincts to preserve life and protect the young! But to get those type sold on the idea to carry is difficult. But I think the instinct to preserve life is born in all of us

Old 09-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
A life threatening situation could change that mindset!!
Of course it could. I could also win Publisher's Clearinghouse. As far as protecting their young against a life threatening situation, the mother is much more likly to cause the life threatening situation.

Quote:
But I think the instinct to preserve life is born in all of us
I disagree. When I was much younger and way more idealistic I might have agreed with you. Unfortunately, I have come to see people as they really are.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:08 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402

Of course it could. I could also win Publisher's Clearinghouse. As far as protecting their young against a life threatening situation, the mother is much more likly to cause the life threatening situation.

I disagree. When I was much younger and way more idealistic I might have agreed with you. Unfortunately, I have come to see people as they really are.
I'm sorry I'm just a young 48 year old kid that hasn't experienced anything or learned anything!! Thanks for the wisdom!!