Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Why We Need Concealed & Open Carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 01:38 AM   #21
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 624 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackxpress

It's not so much that she's terrified of guns, she's afraid to shoot one herself. It all goes back to 30 years ago when me and my buddy took her to the range with us and I let her shoot my 38. She shot it one time and soon as she started to squeeze the trigger she closed her eyes and turned her head away from the gun. By the time it went off she was looking over her shoulder. Thankfully the gun was still pointed downrange (barely). She handed the gun back to me and said she didn't want to shoot any more. I've never pushed it. I figure if she doesn't like to shoot she's better off without a gun. Maybe it's time for me to rethink that and gently encourage her to give it another try. And, yes, I agree with you about pepper spray and all that stuff. This monster would not have been deterred by pepper spray, stun guns or anything else short of a couple of well placed hollow points. I know a really good NRA instructor that I could introduce her to. Maybe I need to start trying to talk her into taking his basic course and go from there. He's a super nice guy. He might just be able to change her mind about shooting. Sure couldn't hurt to give it a try.
Have her try a pellet gun, then a .22, then .223 and work you're way up into bigger calibers. I think that most people that are afraid of firing a firearm are afraid of the recoil, if that's the case then it's better to start small and work your way up.

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 09-07-2013, 02:42 AM   #22

Liked 101 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Possibly the noise too, but yes i would second starting with a pellet gun. Airsoft maybe too?

Old 09-07-2013, 05:06 AM   #23
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 870 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Quote:
Originally Posted by thdrduck View Post
First let me say my heart goes out to the victims families, this kind of crap happens way too often. Now let me say that the people that made the decision to let him out should be sitting right next to him facing charges. You don't let a wild tiger out free into city and then act surprised when people start turning up dead. Habitual criminals are kept behind bars not as punishment, but for public safety.
This whole thing is just so sad.
I cannot fathom what the dept of corrections was thinking when they let this monster out of jail. That must have been the pinnacle dumb move of all time for a jail to set this guy free.

One newspaper said this guy was trouble, and that was as clear as the tattoos on his face.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:26 AM   #24

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackxpress

It's not so much that she's terrified of guns, she's afraid to shoot one herself. It all goes back to 30 years ago when me and my buddy took her to the range with us and I let her shoot my 38. She shot it one time and soon as she started to squeeze the trigger she closed her eyes and turned her head away from the gun. By the time it went off she was looking over her shoulder. Thankfully the gun was still pointed downrange (barely). She handed the gun back to me and said she didn't want to shoot any more. I've never pushed it. I figure if she doesn't like to shoot she's better off without a gun. Maybe it's time for me to rethink that and gently encourage her to give it another try. And, yes, I agree with you about pepper spray and all that stuff. This monster would not have been deterred by pepper spray, stun guns or anything else short of a couple of well placed hollow points. I know a really good NRA instructor that I could introduce her to. Maybe I need to start trying to talk her into taking his basic course and go from there. He's a super nice guy. He might just be able to change her mind about shooting. Sure couldn't hurt to give it a try.
If she does have the courage to shoot again! I would suggest you get the most pleasant to shoot weapon you can get your hands on! The few 38's that I've shot had a good little bite to them! First experiences or impressions usually makes a big difference! Probably a 22 revolver would be ideal! Easy, soft and mild! And I'm sure the instructor would suggest the same!

Old 09-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

A good gun class, with no guns present, is not a bad way to start. Becoming familiar without anything threatening, loud, or frightening is a good start.

Sometimes learning to fly, means jumping into a Cessna for a short jaunt around the area of the airport. Learning to shoot a handgun, taught the same way, is not the way to best go about it.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

There are some people you should just never, for any reason, ever, let out of prison.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #27
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 624 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10
There are some people you should just never, for any reason, ever, let out of prison.
Anyone with that tattoo should never be let out of prison and should be chained to a wall.

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY
People Like This 
Old 09-08-2013, 06:08 AM   #28

Liked 101 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post

If she does have the courage to shoot again! I would suggest you get the most pleasant to shoot weapon you can get your hands on! The few 38's that I've shot had a good little bite to them! First experiences or impressions usually makes a big difference! Probably a 22 revolver would be ideal! Easy, soft and mild! And I'm sure the instructor would suggest the same!
Id avoid a revolver altogether for awhile. 22 rifle would be better to start. Try to find something in a "prettier" color too if you can.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:21 AM   #29

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildenton

Id avoid a revolver altogether for awhile. 22 rifle would be better to start. Try to find something in a "prettier" color too if you can.
Oh everyone I know learned on a revolver(22) I guess we were all wrong! I was shooting a 22 revolver before I could walk almost! That's what she needs I bigger, longer. Louder object she is already frighten to handle.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:33 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullautoUSA View Post

Anyone with that tattoo should never be let out of prison and should be chained to a wall.
Chained to a wall is a start. Having a wall fall on this guy is a better goal.

I really wish this crack head would have picked on an off duty police officer, or a well trained and preparing concealed carry permit holder. I would have gladly traded places with any one of the victims, so maybe this could have ended better.

I doubt his last victim had anything stronger than air freshener hanging from her rear view mirror.

Most every forum has people quick to point out, how good god is, and how just. Well, where is the justification in a monster blowing deer slugs through the head of a newlywed with three small children?