Why we DON'T fire warning shots...EVER! - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Why we DON'T fire warning shots...EVER!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 11:36 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 47 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquanel

I"m sure I would have liked him too! We need to get back to a little common sense if someone is breaking into my home uninvited well que sera sera.
I'm not a vigilante I only want me and mine to be treated with respect, if someone breaks in while I'm here, well actions have consequences. I only want to be left alone nothing more or less.
I second this. If someone has the audacity to violate my home and property then they should get just as much respect as they have shown me. And we all know that old saying "dead men don't testify". Other than that I don't walk down the street see a random person and say " I wish he'd do something so I could kill his ass".

Old 06-04-2013, 12:21 AM   #32

Liked 70 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Here in MT the castle doctrine includes your property as well as your house. I am not a lawyer but the advice my dad and grandpa gave me, both were cops, is shoot to kill if you shoot to wound you can and probably will be sued depending on the state you live in. One of my dads friends when we lived in Tx had several people break in one night he shot one in the leg the other ran. The guy he shot turned around and sued him for 500k and won. If someone breaks into my house or comes on my property and does not leave when told, which I actually have no legal obligation to tell them, they will be leaving in a 1 size fits all black bag. I will not allow anyone to be threat to my or my wife and get away with it.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:30 AM   #33

Liked 70 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
So its that its illegal in all American states to fire a warning shot not that you think its a bad idea I see.

Did you not see the post bellow.
Even if it were legal I would not fire a warning shot. It is irresponsible since bullets can easily pass through walls with enough force to kill whoever is on the other side. People have been killed by warning shots passing through walls and I would not put me, my wife or my neighbors at risk by firing a warning shot.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:46 AM   #34
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6175 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 6554

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
Have we any real world examples of this or is it opinions.
If warning shots were a good idea, the 10th Mountain would have taught me the how and why of that, they didnt and wouldnt cause its not a smart thing to do. Our VP's suggestion to fire a couple sound shots off the back deck with the Double Barrel doesnt make a bit of sense either. Some people have neighbors, they probably wouldnt appreciate being shot or holes in their house.

An attempted robbery, Criminal Trespass or home invasion is about as lethal a situation as it gets. You must assume the worst, Im not saying to pursue the POS, just stop them dead in their tracks if they cross the threshold without permission.

In NY, Im Limited to 7 rounds in my weapon, shooting one in the air leaves me 6. Because a flash suppressor is considered a military feature, the shot I just wasted will illuminate my position immediately so if the criminal is armed, they can return fire directly on my flash. If there are two or more assailants, 6 bullets probably wont save me and my family, wasting a single one is a regret I cant afford to have.

Warning an intruder to stand down only gives them a better chance at me. They already have the element of surprise and bad intent on their part, I shant give them any other opportunities they do not deserve nor would I expect a greeting with tea and crumpets if I were a criminal.

In the end, I would rather pray to god for forgiveness than meet him personally before my time is done here. I dont look forward to taking someones life but they wont get mine without a fight.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:47 AM   #35

Liked 4819 Times on 2334 Posts
Likes Given: 1502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
Tack, I hate to say it, but I think there are a few here that would get off on it. Heck, one of our mods stated in this very thread that the only warning shot should have been right between the eyes. That sounds like an intent to kill to me, and not a desire to stop the intruder.
Negative Ghost Rider... The Patern is Full!

The Mod in question was giving advice based on the legal ramifications of firing at anything other that the bad guy... hence the placement of his "warning shot".

Tack
Old 06-04-2013, 02:36 AM   #36

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The warning shot is an intended miss. Your muzzle flash is the next target.

shadow.jpg  
Old 06-04-2013, 03:39 AM   #37

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

#craziness

Old 06-04-2013, 03:52 AM   #38

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

I'd probably shoot somebody who was in my house....depends. But a trespasser on my land - nope. Someone stealing a can of gas - nope. I don't want to remember killing someone I didn't have to; whether or not I am prosecuted.

Years ago, I had two guys trying to kick in my front door in the middle of the night. I lived a good 10 miles from town. Anyway, I shouted a few things through the door, as you might imagine. I then got a rifle (not allowed short guns up here), loaded and cocked it. It seemed to me like they were coming through the door sooner or later so I figured it was better for me to pick the moment. Meanwhile, my useless hound was standing behind me......he was good moving stock or watching a camp in the mountains after dark but otherwise had spells of stupidity. Anyway, I unlocked and yanked the door open and levelled a rifle at them. In the next 2 seconds, I realized they were drunk or high (or both), partly because they were not appreciating the peril they were in - although they had stopped and did not advance over my threshold. I was not married then and lived alone. They were not armed, as far as I could tell, and I decided I could take them. I snicked off the safety and was ready to give one a rifle butt in the throat-chin if he tried to come across the threshold and the other one I'd play by ear. They shuffled around for a few minutes mumbling something and finally left. They would have had no trouble realizing that I was not happy. I wasn't really paying any attention to what they were saying, just whether they made any motion to close the already short distance between us. I never knew who they were or what they wanted.

If I'd had a wife and kids behind me in that house, I would never have opened the door and if they finally managed to break through it, I would have had to assume the worst and put them down. I might take a chance with my safety, but never my kids or my wife. Never. I'm glad it didn't happen that way.

ps: Now I've got a couple of GSD's. They don't mess around.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Last edited by Rocky7; 06-04-2013 at 04:02 AM.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:51 AM   #39

Liked 290 Times on 251 Posts

He did the wrong thing as far as I'm concerned, but nothing harmful or anymore dangerous to others than not using a blinker before a turn.

Any audible warning is putting yourself in a bad situation. You reveal that you can defend yourself with deadly force which gives the potential attacker knowledge of the force he may need at the ready, you give up your general position and you lose out the chance to relieve this world of a really bad rash in the most cost effective and time saving way.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2003 Times on 1186 Posts
Likes Given: 958

There are NO 'AWAY' OR 'NEVER' when you are find yourself in life threatening situations!!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!