Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Why we DON'T fire warning shots...EVER!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4573 Times on 2212 Posts
Likes Given: 1381

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
Probably just me then I would rather stop a confrontation with a warning shot if possible, maybe I am a bit soft for not wanting to kill someone if I can avoid it.
No... your just a bit ignorant for assuming any of us would would "prefer" to kill anyone.

I think we'd all love the option of a "warning shot"... unfortunately, in most US jurisdictions, it's ILLEGAL to discharge a firearm for ANY reason other than IMMINENT threat of great bodily injury or harm... and "warning shots" have been used to legally ensnare more than one decent citizen who was reluctant to simply shoot the bad guy.

Tack

Last edited by Tackleberry1; 06-03-2013 at 09:40 PM.
wizard63 Likes This 
Old 06-03-2013, 09:33 PM   #22
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 780 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 369

Oh ok I'll drag em in I was hoping to avoid the mess.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquanel View Post
Oh ok I'll drag em in I was hoping to avoid the mess.
When I was in High School, the local Sheriff came by to talk to us about some relevant issues, window tint & speeding & alcohol in our cars, and also mentioned that in a home defense shooting we should never move the body ourselves and that if the body happened to end up on the porch he or his deputies would help the homeowner drag it inside for the photos.

I liked that Sheriff; his son taught our PE class how to pick his dad's duty cuffs. This was the next county over where I attended school; I was always wishing that Sheriff covered both counties.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman77 View Post
Under the castle doctrine you can legal shoot any person who has unlawfully entered your home. But this person can't be on your porch and doorstep they have to actually cross the threshold and be inside your home.
The Castle Doctrine is applied differently with different requirements in different states. They're not all the same by a long shot. It wasn't until 5 or so years ago that the duty to retreat was removed from Florida statute. This is why so many of us preach to know your local statutes. What works for me here in Florida could be a life felony in other states.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
No... your just a bit ignorant for assuming any of us would would "prefer" to kill anyone.

I think we'd all love the option of a "warning shot"... unfortunately, in most US jurisdictions, it's ILLEGAL to discharge a firearm for ANY reason other than IMMINENT threat of great bodily injury or harm... and "warning shots" have been used to legally ensnare more than one decent citizen who was reluctant to simply shoot the bad guy.

Tack
Tack, I hate to say it, but I think there are a few here that would get off on it. Heck, one of our mods stated in this very thread that the only warning shot should have been right between the eyes. That sounds like an intent to kill to me, and not a desire to stop the intruder.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:01 PM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5325 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
Probably just me then I would rather stop a confrontation with a warning shot if possible, maybe I am a bit soft for not wanting to kill someone if I can avoid it.
every state in the union here has strict laws against unlawful discharge of firearms. it is illegal to discharge a firearm for a "warning shot" in every state of the US. the reason it is illegal is because if you feel the need to shoot in a random direction the situation did not call for use of deadly force to begin with... while the article says it poorly and stupidly discharging a firearm into the air or ground in a uncontrolled manner can and does have deadly consequences for innocent people.

a sample of shooting into the air resulting in death:

Quote:
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2013-01-03/news/bs-md-cecil-county-shooting-20130103_1_ajs-court-stray-bullet-celebratory

10-year-old struck in New Year's celebratory shooting dies

Girl had been in critical condition in Delaware after Cecil County incident

Ten-year-old Aaliyah Boyer died from injuries suffered New… (Gene Sweeney Jr., Baltimore…)

January 03, 2013|By Justin George, The Baltimore Sun

ELKTON — — Aaliyah Boyer had hoped to watch the New Year's ball drop on TV, but when she learned she had missed the stroke of midnight by 32 seconds, she returned to the front yard with her friends to watch her neighbors light fireworks.

Nearby, someone apparently fired a gun into the air to add to the celebration. Amid the jubilation, the 10-year-old fell to the ground, the warmth and color draining from her body after she was hit by a falling bullet. Her family initially thought that she had fainted, but the wound would prove fatal.
there are a LOT of cases of this happening. recently in saudi arabia 25 people were killed at a wedding from shooting into the air.

discharging a firearm into the air or ground for a "warning shot" puts people OTHER than the criminal in jeapordy!!! if you dont feel the need to shoot the bad guy (life isnt in immediate threat) then presentation of deadly force may be all that is needed. there is NEVER The need to fire stupidly into the sky.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 06-03-2013 at 10:06 PM.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #27

Liked 365 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
So its that its illegal in all American states to fire a warning shot not that you think its a bad idea I see.

Quote:
I think we'd all love the option of a "warning shot"... unfortunately, in most US
jurisdictions, it's ILLEGAL to discharge a firearm for ANY reason other than IMMINENT threat of great bodily injury or harm...
Did you not see the post bellow.

Quote:
PS Obviously if you are not allowed by law to fire a warning shot then its not a good idea.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:04 PM   #28

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
When I was in High School, the local Sheriff came by to talk to us about some relevant issues, window tint & speeding & alcohol in our cars, and also mentioned that in a home defense shooting we should never move the body ourselves and that if the body happened to end up on the porch he or his deputies would help the homeowner drag it inside for the photos.
That's about the first thing I thought of when I read this story, too.

In my world, the local cop would have taken the vet aside and made sure his story was accurate before writing it down. He may have made a mistake in firing a shot but there is absolutely NO indication that he put anyone in danger when he did so. The good guys are supposed to work together.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:48 PM   #29
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 780 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 369

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post

I liked that Sheriff; his son taught our PE class how to pick his dad's duty cuffs. This was the next county over where I attended school; I was always wishing that Sheriff covered both counties.
I"m sure I would have liked him too! We need to get back to a little common sense if someone is breaking into my home uninvited well que sera sera.
I'm not a vigilante I only want me and mine to be treated with respect, if someone breaks in while I'm here, well actions have consequences. I only want to be left alone nothing more or less.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

People Like This 
Old 06-03-2013, 11:03 PM   #30

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Ammo is just too damn expensive to shoot twice now a days..