Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Why we DON'T fire warning shots...EVER!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

If you feel you have time to fire a warning shot there is no imminent fear of death or great bodily harm.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:03 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 833 Times on 506 Posts
Likes Given: 328

The article indicates entry was not achieved by the ex-con. That is big in my book....

To paraphrase Doc, if you have time to bark it may not be time to bite!

I have stated my willingness and readiness to defend my family from a home invader, but am equally reluctant to wander the neighborhood looking for trouble or consider as a deadly threat someone separated by my front door.

Of course if pursued by deadly force to my house or if taking fire from someone outside the house the response would change considerably.

No warning shots expected, required, or granted around here...at least not intentionally...

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It

People Like This 
Old 06-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5243 Times on 2734 Posts
Likes Given: 330

only warning shot shoulda been right between the eyes...

NEVER EVER NEVER fire a warning shot!!!!!!!!

anyone rock stupid enough to follow uncle joe's advice needs to lose access to firearms for basic lack of judgement.

but the real idiocy isnt the guy firing a warning shot its this:

Quote:
Authorities explain that bullets from an assault rifle can ricochet after hitting their intended target
if thats true, why do the police have these so dangerous devices whose bullets randomly fly about hitting people?? those "authorities" need to lose their jobs and never be allowed to work in law enforcement or as a prosecuting attorney or hold political office or judge anywhere. saying something so blatantly stupid shows a complete lack of knowledge of the tools of civilian defense and law enforcement.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 06-03-2013 at 08:03 PM.
People Like This 
Old 06-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #14

Liked 355 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Probably just me then I would rather stop a confrontation with a warning shot if possible, maybe I am a bit soft for not wanting to kill someone if I can avoid it.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #15
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5615 Times on 2778 Posts
Likes Given: 5977

Live to fight another day; one shot, one kill! Warning shots cause victims...

Old 06-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Live to fight another day; one shot, one kill! Warning shots cause victims...
Have we any real world examples of this or is it opinions.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
Probably just me then I would rather stop a confrontation with a warning shot if possible, maybe I am a bit soft for not wanting to kill someone if I can avoid it.
I can certainly agree with your reluctance, but to use a firearm for anything is to use deadly force under most state's law. If you feel threatened enough to use deadly force a warning shot is not indicated, again under most state's laws.

If I were you I would do a thorough check of your local and state firearms and deadly force laws concerning the use of deadly force and warning shots. It would not surprise me at all if you were to find that warning shots are prohibited.

Avoiding shooting someone is a worthwhile goal, but it isn't always possible. If you see a situation developing that has you concerned you should prepare yourself, call the authorities, and hope that they will get there before you have to make the decision to shoot. If things don't work out the way you want, you either need to be able to shoot or prepare to retreat.

It's not an easy decision, but remember the guidelines for deadly force. You have to be in fear of imminent death or great bodily harm to yourself or others. If you feel you can retreat, and that's where your moral compass is directing you, do it. I know I'll never criticize or second guess your decision, and I'm sure many others will feel the same way. The ones you need to watch out for are the people that tell you you were wrong not to shoot to kill. They scare me.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #18

Quote:
I can certainly agree with your reluctance, but to use a firearm for anything is to use deadly force under most state's law. If you feel threatened enough to use deadly force a warning shot is not indicated, again under most state's laws
The law is different here the police would rather you stopped the confrontation with a warning shot than killed someone. Firearms have being used here for self defense for years and your reaction depends on the circumstances. If you get it wrong and fire a warning shot you will get a slap on the wrist if kill someone you could end up in jail. Its up to the individual in the situation at the time what to do he will be the one that will face the consciences if they get it wrong. PS Obviously if you are not allowed by law to fire a warning shot then its not a good idea.
Quote:
The ones you need to watch out for are the people that tell you you were wrong not to shoot to kill. They scare me.
I would assume you shot to stop the threat not to kill unless of course killing someone gives the individual a kick. I would worry about that sort of individuals as well.

Last edited by manta; 06-03-2013 at 09:17 PM.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #19
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 759 Times on 352 Posts
Likes Given: 365

If someone goes "bump in the night" here I think the warning shot will be the second one, its not like the bullets are numbered only I will know which went where!

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #20

Liked 47 Times on 37 Posts

Under the castle doctrine you can legal shoot any person who has unlawfully entered your home. But this person can't be on your porch and doorstep they have to actually cross the threshold and be inside your home.