Why we DON'T fire warning shots...EVER!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Why we DON'T fire warning shots...EVER!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4886 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Default Why we DON'T fire warning shots...EVER!

Here is a prime example of a good guy finding himself in trouble with the law after a wanted felon attempted to force entry in the Veterans home.

http://www.inquisitr.com/681593/man-arrested-for-firing-warning-shot-at-burglar/

It's also an excellent reason for all of us older "and I hope" wiser Vet's and gun owners to take these young guys under our wings and help educate them on the differences between patrolling a fire base in Afghanistan and defending your home... once your back home.

Sure hope he's cleared and get's his rifle back but we'll have see what the courts in Medford say about it.

Tack

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

He is a better person than me as soon as the crook entered my house they would have taken him out in a body bag

Last edited by mtmagwhenindout; 06-03-2013 at 03:56 PM.
improvised_prepper Likes This 
Old 06-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

This is total BS He was defending his property and life now he being treated like a criminal next time don't spare the crooks life

Last edited by winds-of-change; 06-03-2013 at 04:19 PM.
People Like This 
Old 06-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #4

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

But...but....uncle Joe says we should put two shots in the air, and then two through the door!!!

Old 06-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #5

Liked 4886 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

This story was on AM radio this morning so I pulled it up when I got into the office.

A. I don't think the perp ever gained entry
B. Homeowner told the perp he'd give him "a warning shot"... then did.
C. Responding LEO said the perp was walking away when the "warning shot" was fired.

I don't like the fact that an Afghanistan Vet is facing charges for running off a wanted felon anymore than the next guy... but firing a warning shot is a well know NO NO to anyone who's studied armed protection and has any knowledge of the law.

Long story short... If you not "scared for you life" enough to shoot the perp in order to make him stop whatever it is he's doing... you not in "enough danger" to justify pulling the trigger.

Like it or not... that's the law... and there are many good arguments for it, the biggest one being that even trained Veterans "short of shooting into a clearing barrel"... have NO idea where that round could end up.

Medford is a small town and I certainly hope the authorities show some leniency... but the bigger point here is that it's incumbent upon us to recognize these younger fellow's when we see them at the range, befriend them, and steer conversation beyond shot group size too the larger discussion of "appropriate use of force".

Tack

Old 06-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #6
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6325 Times on 3156 Posts
Likes Given: 6813

Boom, Boom, boom; no warning, just darkness...

Old 06-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #7

Unless you count the clicking of a safety.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

I do not have a choice but to fire a warning shot. It is the law in Germany. First you give a verbal, then you give a warning shot, and finally you can shoot. I also have a right to shoot someone if they try to still my rifle while I am on the hunt. (think terrorism) But I have to follow the three steps. The problem is, I think I am dyslexic when follow steps. Of course if the guy also has a gun, then all bets are off.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
I do not have a choice but to fire a warning shot. It is the law in Germany. First you give a verbal, then you give a warning shot, and finally you can shoot. I also have a right to shoot someone if they try to still my rifle while I am on the hunt. (think terrorism) But I have to follow the three steps. The problem is, I think I am dyslexic when follow steps. Of course if the guy also has a gun, then all bets are off.
Really? That's a law there? I just didn't expect that.

Look at it this way, when you're running through the steps...

You think you're gonna land all your shots? Haha!!!

"See officer? That bullet hole in the wall? That was my warning shot."

They can't tell that it was a flyer

(note: I don't advocate violating the law in any country. But....)
Old 06-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 459 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 140

You can get away with firing a warning shot here even with or strict firearms laws. Probably not a good idea unless a last resort before using it for real.

Quote:
Stormont Health Minister Edwin Poots fired warning shots after finding intruders on his land, it has emerged.

The DUP assembly member fired his legally-held shotgun last month.

A police spokesman confirmed they had "received a report of persons acting suspiciously in the grounds of a property in Lisburn" early on 6 June.

Last edited by manta; 06-03-2013 at 06:06 PM.