Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Why train/practice defensive scenarios?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie
My issue stems from the idea that in a SD situation you don't have the time to compose yourself. You have to get things right in a hurry. And to do that it's best yo know how to do it before hand.
Exactly. A lot of times, if I'm practicing from the holster, I run 100 yds or do something similar to get my heart rate up. This makes it harder to keep my hands steady. Which in turn makes shooting accurately harder. It is great practice that I have seen my improvement.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

People Like This 
Old 05-28-2013, 11:33 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1069 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
I'm very serious. Please do edify if you have insight.
How did you learn to write for example? Or thinking of what to say and put it on paper (or computer) almost simultaneously, carving something with a knife or reacting while flying or driving. Any reaction is a variation of a learned skill set. A battlefield is another scenario.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:44 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
I really, truly don't understand it.

Doctors, please correct me if and where I'm wrong here...

This whole concept of "muscle memory" is the biggest joke ever. My understanding is that muscles don't have anything the brain doesn't give them, other than mass. It's truly the most fundamental and elementary of truths, that the musculatory system simply reacts to electrical impulses sent from the brain.

So, the only muscle with memory is the brain and understanding that most basic of facts, training yourself to react to a specific situation in a specific way is a matter of conditioning. Now to understand what conditioning is. It's a set up for failure!

This is what's wrong with all of you and all of your ideas of defensive drills. You're conditioning yourselves to respond to a singular dimensional scenario, but nothing is so streamline in murder or attack.

This isn't the military, the bad guy isn't trained to fight any particular way that you can practice for, this isn't football, there's no position to guard, thus you SHOULD NOT train to defend so specifically!

Learn good shooting stances and grips, absolutely! Understand pressure points and general defensive positions and concepts, yes. But DO NOT "train" for anything more than being aware and present.

Example, training to move during altercation. Great, but where to move? What if attack is left, or behind, or beyond, or front center, or etc, or etc, or etc...

Take things at more of a face value, your instinct will take control and do the right thing there. Stop over-estimating things.

Anyway, this is my take, based on my understanding and person experiences. I'm no doctor nor have I been more than mugged, pistol whipped, and jumped before. This just seems the most logical thing to me.
Do you know how to type?

Old 05-28-2013, 11:48 PM   #14

Liked 284 Times on 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post

Exactly. A lot of times, if I'm practicing from the holster, I run 100 yds or do something similar to get my heart rate up. This makes it harder to keep my hands steady. Which in turn makes shooting accurately harder. It is great practice that I have seen my improvement.
I think you all way over estimate your personal value.

Americans have extreme delusions of grandeur.

If you have to defend yourself alone, you either have time or you don't. There's an escalation which gives the psyche time to engage long before necessary or your one of many targets in which mean nothing more than a means to an end.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:50 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1069 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Quote:
I think you all way over estimate your personal value.

Americans have extreme delusions of grandeur.

If you have to defend yourself alone, you either have time or you don't. There's an escalation which gives the psyche time to engage long before necessary or your one of many targets in which mean nothing more than a means to an end.
Well, OK, you are indeed entitled to your own view.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post

Do you know how to type?
Yup, based on my brain's ability to recall letters and where they are in relations to what it wants to say.

Please tell me you don't really think the fingers remember where to go?

Old 05-28-2013, 11:53 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Yup, based on my brain's ability to recall letters and where they are in relations to what it wants to say.

Please tell me you don't really think the fingers remember where to go?
How did you learn how to type?

Old 05-29-2013, 12:00 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post

How did you learn how to type?
I see where you're going with this. Its still invalid as an arguement against what I'm saying. But, again, perhaps I wasn't clear.

I believe practicing shooting is a good thing, but training for specific scenarios, defensive or offensive is detrimental!

Old 05-29-2013, 12:08 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6093 Times on 3343 Posts
Likes Given: 11678

Of course muscles have no memory. But repetition does produce procedural memorization that can become stored in the brain and replicated with less cognitive thinking. It becomes reactive instinct which is partially unconscious. Consider the pianist playing a familiar song. He has performed it so many times, his fingers will find the keys without conscious movement. The same can be true of any motor skills. Catching a baseball, driving a car, putting on a seatbelt, etc.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:14 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
Of course muscles have no memory. But repetition does produce procedural memorization that can become stored in the brain and replicated with less cognitive thinking. It becomes reactive instinct which is partially unconscious. Consider the pianist playing a familiar song. He has performed it so many times, his fingers will find the keys without conscious movement. The same can be true of any motor skills. Catching a baseball, driving a car, putting on a seatbelt, etc.
Exactly, that's not a good thing!!!!!

Closed Thread